Menu

Can you share your most favorite nutrition dvd, book, audio, anything?

Oak Meadow's Integrated Health & Fitness was a hit here. Based on the latest studies about nutrition. http://oakmeadow.com/news/courses/integrated-health-and-fitness/

It uses a typical health textbook coupled with customized lessons and adds In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto (Pollan) and Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain (Ratey).

Also, we've watched these videos on Amazon streaming and learned a lot:

That Sugar Film

The Way We Think About Sugar is Going to Change

Fed Up

Food Matters

Forks Over Knives

If I think of more, I'll come back and add them. If you search/view any of the above, other similar videos will be suggested for you.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 5

Most of the books I know of are geared towards adults. 

Michael Pollan famous quote:

Eat Food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan has a Young Reader's version of Omnivore's Dilemma

I hesitate to suggest anything else.  In my self-education about nutrition, I learned more than I ever anticipated about how animals are treated, how our eating habits are affecting the planet, etc.  Not sure if you/they would be interested in those rabbit trails.  You may want to pre-screen the following videos.  Some may be more pertinent to adults, even though those habits are formed so much earlier.

King Corn  (recommended by my college age niece)

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Food Inc

The Men Who Made Us Fat/BBC on youtube

Sugar:  The Bitter Truth/Robert Lustig on youtube

Vegucated

Weight of the Nation/HBO

Sugar is a Toxin/Robert Lustig on youtube

The Beautiful Truth/youtube

Genetic Roulette/youtube

Planeat

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 1

"Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston Price. It's free online. He was a dentist who traveled around the world in the 1930s to the most remote healthiest people groups he could find. The book is all about what he discovered about their diets. There is a foundation out there with his name. Some of their stuff is pretty good too, but I'd stick with the original book for context.

The Great Courses has a great audio course too, "The Science of Natural Healing" by cardiologist and professor Mimi Guarneri (Scripps Center). I've been studying nutrition for many years and what she has to say is spot on and very current. She's very easy to listen to, a great speaker. Probably my favourite course so far from The Great Courses.

• Like 1