Menu

tote bag?

HollyDay

I need a tote.  Somthing that will stand alone.  Not too big...not a "going to the beach all day tote."  Big enough to carry a large book and notebook....or a couple smaller books and maybe a shawl or wrap.  I carry a purse, so I don't need something for wallet, cellphone, etc.  Just a nice sturdy tote for a couple books and a few necessities.  Suggestions??

I like the large tote from LLBean. It's heavy canvas and stands up on its own. I use to hold a few library books, a small coupon wallet, sometimes a light sweater, water bottle, random stuff. It's spacious but not too big. My MIL is partial to the medium, but she carries around less stuff in her tote. She has a larger purse than I do, though.

• Like 1

Material and budget?

Reversible faux leather tote from Nordstrom: http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/street-level-reversible-faux-leather-tote-wristlet/3559375

Target has a similar one for around $30 but it's not as nice. The Nordstrom one seems softer and better quality.

Vera Bradley has fabric totes in patterns and solids

Fabric (one of oodles of styles):

https://www.verabradley.com/us/product/Vera/Havana-Rose/15461-15461G01?Ntt=VB-PDP-SEARCH--PDP-VB

Leather:

https://www.verabradley.com/us/product/Ella-Tote/Sycamore-Black/14622-14622481?Ntt=VB-PDP-SALE-PDP-VB

MZWallace:

https://www.mzwallace.com/shop/metro-tote

Kipling makes bags that hold up well and come in lots of colors. Several tote styles.

• Like 1

I'm generally an LL Bean fan but I think Lands End totes are superior. There's some difference in sizing, though. I'd go with whichever one has the size closest to what you need.

Why do you like it better?  My LL Bean tote is nice, but it's SO stiff (which is sometimes a great thing, really) and I'm wondering if it will ever soften up just a tad!  lol  Maybe I will get a Lands End one in a smaller size because I can't have enough tote bags.  :P

I have both LL Bean and Lands End totes. I like them both for different reasons. The LLB is stiffer, and the one I have doesn't zip. I think is is an extra-large, I use it for big grocery runs and Costco trips. The LE tote is less stiff, has a zipper and a small front pocket. I generally use it for a library bag. Check both places and check dimensions with a measuring tape to be sure you get the size you really want.

Why do you like it better?  My LL Bean tote is nice, but it's SO stiff (which is sometimes a great thing, really) and I'm wondering if it will ever soften up just a tad!  lol  Maybe I will get a Lands End one in a smaller size because I can't have enough tote bags.   :p

The LE bags are stiff enough to stand up but not so stiff they're uncomfortable to carry. The medium and up sizes have an exterior pocket, several interior pockets and a key fob. I know those things won't matter to everyone and for some purposes a bag w/o pockets may even be preferable. But for me those things equate to the LE totes being a bit superior to the Bean totes. I wish LE would offer a small tote with a longer handle (which for me would make a great every day/running errands purse).

• Like 3

I second Vera Bradley. They are light weight and sturdy. I've even washed mine in the washing machine (remove the stiff bottom before washing). I have a couple of different sizes and patterns. One way to save money, if you don't care about the pattern, is to shop the patterns that are being discontinued.

• Like 1

I have an ll bean tote for library books and it is great, stiff and sturdy. However, the bag itself, even empty, is not lightweight. Not heavy, per se, but more than I would want for casual carrying around. Also, I didn't get the long handles and so it has to be carried in my hand, not over my shoulder.

Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes!

• Like 2

I love my Thirty One tall organizing totes. I have two, so I can wash one and switch to the other. They have small pockets on the front for pens and one that is perfect for my sticky notes pads. One zippered pocket on the inside. The bottom isn't super heavy/sturdy without the books in it, but it stands on its own with my books in it. I carry a binder/planner, magazines, planners, a few books, and a pencil bag or case whereever I go to work on stuff while kids are in their activities. 

I carry a separate purse too and dd3 has a backpack with stuff for her in the car that I can grab if I need it. 

Just a thought.........I have a tote I finished that is for sale in my Etsy shop. I rescued this partially started project that was languishing in a local charity shop. It came with a note, "Finish me." So I finished the project. It is just a tote with no pockets on the inside or outside. The fabric is beautiful. I don't know why the project was abandoned because it looks as if someone spent some time on it.