Menu

if you can stand yet another thread about my tongue...

SparklyUnicorn

disclaimer: I don't eat sugar and I don't have diabetes

Anywho, I am now fairly certain I never had thrush and currently don't have it.  There was something strange about what has been going on.  Basically the patches move and go from thick to gone sometimes within hours.  I've now had a total of 4 doctors look at my tongue.  One was certain I did not have thrush.  One was not sure.  Two thought I had thrush.  Nobody actually tested me for thrush.  So what odd thing could look like thrush sometimes, but not other times?  And appear to not respond to anti thrush meds?  Geographic tongue.  LOL  Yeah that's a thing!  What's odd is that it doesn't hurt most people, but can burn a lot in others.  Which could be explained by the fact it is especially irritated by acidic foods.  Ahhh so...bad reflux and heartburn out of control (especially when I tried to go off PPIs) probably lead to it becoming quite inflamed and painful.  And given that I have pretty much no risk factors for thrush that would be quite odd and this would explain it better.  I read it is also irritated by toothpaste.  I've now gone through several brands because I was convinced my toothpaste was tying to kill me because my mouth was on fire after. 

It's not a serious condition, but there doesn't seem to be much known about what causes it.

Strange stuff I tell you, but I'm relieved it is probably not thrush.  I did go to the walk in the other day an they gave me an extra large supply of stuff, but I only took it on the first day and have not taken it since. 

• Like 5

DD10 has geographic tongue.  It is odd looking.  I remember taking her to the  dentist one time.  He kept going on and on about it, trying to reassure me that it was normal and ok, and not to worry about it. LOL I already knew it was there (apparent even as a baby) I wasn't worried, I knew it was normal and hadn't said a word to him about it. LOL   I figure he must get a lot of freaked out parents, with the way he went on and on about it. LOL

I am surprised the doctors weren't able to tell you that in the beginning....or even your dentist mentioning at some point in your life.  Hopefully that is all that it is!  That would be much better than thrush!  If the products like magic mouth wash were helping with the pain, it won't hurt to continue using it.  The nystatin won't do anything by a mix of Maalox, benadryl, and lidocaine will still numb it. 

• Like 1

One thing I am confused about.....geographic tongue is usually smooth, reddish/pink patches on the tongue.  If you have solid white patches (what I think of in thrush) I wouldn't think it was geographic tongue. 

• Like 1

DD10 has geographic tongue.  It is odd looking.  I remember taking her to the  dentist one time.  He kept going on and on about it, trying to reassure me that it was normal and ok, and not to worry about it. LOL I already knew it was there (apparent even as a baby) I wasn't worried, I knew it was normal and hadn't said a word to him about it. LOL   I figure he must get a lot of freaked out parents, with the way he went on and on about it. LOL

I am surprised the doctors weren't able to tell you that in the beginning....or even your dentist mentioning at some point in your life.  Hopefully that is all that it is!  That would be much better than thrush!  If the products like magic mouth wash were helping with the pain, it won't hurt to continue using it.  The nystatin won't do anything by a mix of Maalox, benadryl, and lidocaine will still numb it. 

It's fairly new for me.  I haven't had this for years or anything like that.

If I want to pursue surgery for the GERD though I have to go off the meds for 2 weeks for one of the tests.  Last time I tried it was hell on earth so hmmm.  Yeah.  At least I am fairly certain as to what this is.  I just don't know if I want to go through with the pH study though. 

One thing I am confused about.....geographic tongue is usually smooth, reddish/pink patches on the tongue.  If you have solid white patches (what I think of in thrush) I wouldn't think it was geographic tongue. 

I sometimes have pink and red patches too.  Looking at tons of pics on-line it does look a lot like several of the pictures. 

From reading about it, it can vary quite a bit in terms of how it looks and that can even vary within hours.