Menu

fresh fron the garden black beans

Elizabeth86

Wow, I don't have any advice at all, just admiration! Black beans are our favorite, but I've never known anyone in my entire life who has grown them. I don't even know what they look like fresh from the garden!

lol We couldnt believe they grew. It was easy. We just planted ,watered, weeded and waited and waited and waited. We thought they were done and the beans were white and we waited still white, finally they took on a purple ish tent and finally black. Tbey grow inside a pod. When ready the pod is very brown and dried up looking.

• Like 2

Wow, I'm impressed too, and intrigued. We eat a boatload of black beans, but only ever dried or canned.  I haven't the vaguest idea how to cook them fresh.  Please report back when you figure it out, lol.  Are the pods edible too?  Do they taste different?  I've had peanuts moments after roasting and they definitely taste very different.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm impressed too, and intrigued. We eat a boatload of black beans, but only ever dried or canned. I haven't the vaguest idea how to cook them fresh. Please report back when you figure it out, lol. Are the pods edible too? Do they taste different? I've had peanuts moments after roasting and they definitely taste very different.

I dont think the pods are edible. We tossed em anyway. I cant believe zi stumped the wtm forum. I thougjt you all were better than google.

I have had fresh from the garden pintos, and they can be cooked immediately after shelling. They can also be blanched and frozen in ziplocs. They do taste different than regular pintos, but in a good way. I will never forget the year my dad bought a pound of dry pintos from the store and planted them in the garden. They made a bumper crop.

• Like 1