Menu

calling: DIYers -- help me fix some things, leaking pipe, stuck file cabinet

Pen

In both cases I've tried several things and tried google, but no success thus far.

1) a leaking sink outflow pipe.  

It leaked before and was fixed with some Plumber's Epoxy Putty.  Now it leaks again. I cannot get more putty on, probably because this is right by the P trap and very close to floor joists.  I suspect that the old putty may not be holding right, but I also cannot get the old putty off. I'm thinking maybe some silicone sealer at edge where the old putty is?  Not sure if that could make it even worse? Ideas?

2) a stuck drawer in a very heavy old file cabinet.

It is somewhat rusty and was hard to open even when brand new. I don't think there are any objects inside stopping the opening, just weight, rustiness, and most especially that the handle on the top drawer is loose.

The handle screws in from inside so I cannot get handle on securely till it is open. The lock is part of the handle and I don't want to chance messing that up also, so I have not given a really big tug on handle for fear of it coming all the way off. The cabinet requires the top drawer to open first before any other drawer, so because I cannot get the top drawer open, I cannot get any other drawer open either--thus ideas like going in from the drawer below won't work.  

I'd prefer not to have the thing pried with crowbar if possible.  I have gorilla tape on order in case I could use that to form a temporary handle.  Also some liquid wrench for the rustiness issue.  I've considered superglue or something like that to try to adhere the handle enough to be able to tug hard on it--don't know if that would work or not, and if not if it could create bigger problems.

Can you post a picture of the plumbing?

Alas we are in rural area without good enough internet for that.  It comes down into basement ceiling with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch leeway between it and wood joist on one side and between it and another pipe on the other and not much room above it before the wood above. Pretty much anything has to be done blind on all sides except the bottom (which is not where the leak is).  Also, I forgot to say, it is an iron or steel type pipe.

Do you have an ACME-sized magnet you could use to open to file cabinet?

I can try the largest strongest magnet I have--and I have a pretty big one, but I don't think the drawer is likely to budge before the magnet pulls free.  

• Like 1

It comes down into basement ceiling with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch leeway between it and wood joist on one side and between it and another pipe on the other and not much room above it before the wood above. Pretty much anything has to be done blind on all sides except the bottom (which is not where the leak is). Also, I forgot to say, it is an iron or steel type pipe.

This is why people hate doing plumbing: the problems often occur in areas which are not accessible by normal humans.

I'm sorry, but I have very little experience with metal drain pipes. Almost everything I've done is with plastic or PVC.

I will wish you well on your projects.

When we had metal water pipes that had a small pin hole leak, my husband bought a clamp looking thing that was metal but lined with rubbery stuff.(sorry for the bad description. DH is not at home to ask). It fits around the pipe and toy tighten it until ther leak is stopped. The clamp stays on for ever.

Unfortunately, once we got that leak fixed, the pipe started leaking in other places. Eventually the metal pipes have to be replaced.

• Like 1

Get a roll of teflon tape for a couple of dollars (Home Depot) and wrap tightly on pipe threads b4 screwing back. Forget plumbers putty. Wrong application. You should really try to get that off. Make sure you have a pipe wrench. That will help.

Stuck drawer: wd40?

• Like 1

When we had metal water pipes that had a small pin hole leak, my husband bought a clamp looking thing that was metal but lined with rubbery stuff.(sorry for the bad description. DH is not at home to ask). It fits around the pipe and toy tighten it until ther leak is stopped. The clamp stays on for ever.

Unfortunately, once we got that leak fixed, the pipe started leaking in other places. Eventually the metal pipes have to be replaced.

Could you ask your dh what it is? That sounds like a similar situation.  I guess  pipes will eventually have to be replaced, but hope not quite yet since I don't have a good plumber currently.

Get a roll of teflon tape for a couple of dollars (Home Depot) and wrap tightly on pipe threads b4 screwing back. Forget plumbers putty. Wrong application. You should really try to get that off. Make sure you have a pipe wrench. That will help.

Stuck drawer: wd40?

I don't think teflon tape will help b/c it isn't leaking at a connection so far as I can tell.

I do have wd40 type stuff to deal with the edges of the drawer. I need some way to get leverage to be able to tug on it given that the handle is coming off.  Today I tried both superglue on handle and gorilla tape on one side--I'll see if in 24 hours they will have stuck hard enough to pull on.