Menu

Hi all,

"Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind," the follow-up to "First Language Lessons," will be available on PDF in just a couple of weeks and in physical form by late September or early October. But we know that many of you are eager to get started, so we're giving away the first six weeks of the curriculum here.

This grammar curriculum was formerly known as "Advanced Language Lessons," and you may have heard about it under that title. It consists of a Core Instructor Text (used for all four years), yearly Student Workbooks (the first one is being released now, and #2 is in development), yearly Answer Keys to explain all answers for the Student Workbook, and a Comprehensive Handbook of Rules (a handy reference guide for grammar, useful for all writers of whatever age).

The free PDF includes:

• The first 6 weeks of the Core Instructor Text
  • The first 6 weeks of the Student Workbook for Year 1
  • The first 6 weeks of the Answer Key for Year 1 (which gives all answers AND thorough explanations)
  • The first part of the Comprehensive Handbook of Rules

I'll be available to answer questions in this thread. We will also be releasing explanatory videos in the coming weeks. Follow us on Facebook for updates on that.

To answer some possible questions:

--Yes, this is good for middle-grade students, but could also be used with high-school students

--Yes, it can be pre-ordered on Amazon (but their release dates aren't always accurate)

--Yes, some of the sentences in the exercises are drawn from "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and "The Princess Bride."

--Yes, schools and co-ops can get bulk pricing. Contact us at 1.877.322.3445 or order@welltrainedmind.com

Again, the first six weeks are available here.

Here's a longer description of the curriculum:

Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind takes middle-grade or high school students from basic definitions through advanced sentence structure and analysis—all the grammar skills needed to write and speak with eloquence and confidence. This innovative program, by experienced educator Susan Wise Bauer, combines the three essential elements of language learning: understanding and memorizing rules (prescriptive teaching), repeated exposure to examples of how those rules are used (descriptive instruction), and practice using those rules in exercises and in writing (practical experience). Scripted lessons make it possible for any parent or teacher to use the program effectively.

• Step-by-step instruction takes students from the most basic concepts through advanced grammatical concepts
  • Extensive diagramming exercises reinforce the rules and help technical/visual learners to understand & use the English language effectively. All diagrams are thoroughly explained to the instructor/parent.
  • Examples and exercises are drawn from great works of literature, as well as from well-written nonfiction texts.
  • Regular review is built into each year of work.
  • Core text is designed to be used effectively with students from fifth grade through high school, regardless of background.
  • The program is easily customizable to each student’s strengths and weaknesses.

Description of the Program

Each year, parents and teachers go through the dialogue, rules, and examples in the Core Instructor Text; students follow along in the Student Workbook. This repetition solidifies the concepts, definitions, and examples in the student’s mind. The Core Instructor Text provides not only rules and examples, but scripted dialogue that makes it possible for any parent or teacher to use the program effectively, along with instructor notes that thoroughly explain ambiguities and difficulties.

There will eventually be four Student Workbooks, one for each year (the Year 1 Workbook will be released first). Each Student Workbook contains the same rules and examples—but four completely different sets of exercises and assignments, allowing students to develop a wide-ranging knowledge of how the rules and examples are put to use in writing.

Each Student Workbook has its own Key, providing not only answers, but also explanations for the parent/instructor, and guidance as to when the answers might be ambiguous (as, in English, they often are).

All of the rules covered, along with the repeated examples for each, are assembled for ongoing reference in the Comprehensive Handbook of Rules. This will become the student’s indispensable guide to writing through high school, into college and beyond.

Justin, can you pretty please inform us of the publication schedule for book 2 and 3? I have a child I should probably be doing book 1 and 2 in tandem with and I have no idea when book 2 will be out.

We are planning to publish book 2 in the summer of 2018. Book 3 is too far out to predict, but we'd like to publish it no more than one year after book 3.

I would really prefer to pre-order from you all than from Amazon, but that does not appear to be an option. Any chance you will be adding that soon? Until then I am keeping my pre-order from Amazon to avoid any delays. =)

Thanks for asking! We don't currently offer pre-orders. They can cause more headaches for a small company (and for you!) than they're worth. Amazon is really good at them.

We will have the books about a week or two before Amazon does, so pre-ordering from them or regular-ordering from us will get you the books at roughly the same time. We're just happy that you're ordering them!  :)

• 1 month later...

Would this be appropriate for a 5th grade student who has not done FLL but has had grammar education in public school?  This is our first year homeschooling. He has never diagrammed a sentence.  We are working through another grammar workbook recommended in WTM but it is something dreaded every day.  I like the approach in this curriculum of teaching grammar from literature. 

Would this be appropriate for a 5th grade student who has not done FLL but has had grammar education in public school?  This is our first year homeschooling. He has never diagrammed a sentence.  We are working through another grammar workbook recommended in WTM but it is something dreaded every day.  I like the approach in this curriculum of teaching grammar from literature. 

Stacy: Yes, this would definitely be appropriate for a student in 5th grade. Try the sample and see what you think, but we are pretty confident that this would work well for your student.

Don't know if this has been pointed out, but we are in week 5 and found mistakes on page 53.  Top of student page has chart that is supposed to be perfect future verbs, but it is actually just future verb tenses. 

Don't know if this has been pointed out, but we are in week 5 and found mistakes on page 53.  Top of student page has chart that is supposed to be perfect future verbs, but it is actually just future verb tenses. 

Thanks! Yes, we had found that one just after the books started printing! :(  Grrr. We apologize for that.

It's on our list of corrections. You can read the complete list here.

I am planning on purchasing the PDF set in a day or two. Have known errata been corrected in that format?

All known errata have been corrected in the Instructor Text, Key, and Comprehensive Handbook of Rules. The Student Workbook PDF is current as of last week. For the next few weeks, any additional errors will be posted on the Corrections page here.

• 2 weeks later...

My 10 year old daughter finished level 4 of First Language Lessons last school year, she is in 4th grade or so...could we start her in the first grammar lesson?  I just want to make sure it would be a good fit for her...because you specify middle school/high school I got nervous that it would be too advanced for her when she's at a 4th/5th grade level.  Thanks!  

My 10 year old daughter finished level 4 of First Language Lessons last school year, she is in 4th grade or so...could we start her in the first grammar lesson?  I just want to make sure it would be a good fit for her...because you specify middle school/high school I got nervous that it would be too advanced for her when she's at a 4th/5th grade level.  Thanks!  

If she has finished Level 4 of First Language Lessons, and did OK with it, then she is almost certainly ready for this program. Check out the sample, if you haven't tried it already...the first several lessons are all review of things she did in FLL, and then new concepts are gradually introduced. And there's no need to rush through it, or even to finish it all in one year. We always suggest that you go through it at a pace that challenges the student but doesn't frustrate her.

• 2 months later...

Can these 4 books/years count as high school credits?  I'm wondering because we are doing R&S and currently in book 6 in 8th grade.  DD14 really does not like R&S and we have books 7-10 to go to complete grammar.  I would like to switch over to Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind if it truly is a complete grammar course.  Am I correct in understanding this?

• 3 weeks later...

Can these 4 books/years count as high school credits?  I'm wondering because we are doing R&S and currently in book 6 in 8th grade.  DD14 really does not like R&S and we have books 7-10 to go to complete grammar.  I would like to switch over to Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind if it truly is a complete grammar course.  Am I correct in understanding this?

Rod and Staff is grammar and composition, and our curriculum is pure grammar, with no "composition" component--meaning that the books probably will NOT take the 120 hours per year to complete that are necessary for a high school credit. We would suggest awarding a half credit per year for the grammar books and another half credit for writing that the student does using a composition program, in order to come up with a full high school language arts credit.

Rod and Staff is grammar and composition, and our curriculum is pure grammar, with no "composition" component--meaning that the books probably will NOT take the 120 hours per year to complete that are necessary for a high school credit. We would suggest awarding a half credit per year for the grammar books and another half credit for writing that the student does using a composition program, in order to come up with a full high school language arts credit.

This is great, thank you!  We are doing WWS and will be moving on to IEW in later high school years, that in addition to writing across the curriculum, will definitely complete the LA credit.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Will the first 6 weeks of the second workbook be available early as well? We are starting our new year in two weeks, and I was planning to have one child in the purple workbook and one child in the new (red?) workbook, but Amazon says the red workbook won't be out until October.