Menu

Stitch Fix questions

Night Elf

I am intrigued. I still cannot wrap my mind around the subscription part, because I purchase two or three items of clothing per year, but I really, really need a couple of pants for work and have not had any luck finding something that fits.

How precise are the measurements you submit? Do I measure waist and inseam, or is it generic size M or sz 6?

On a side note: has anybody of average height (5'6) had any luck acquiring slacks that are of regular length, i.e. not ankle and not three inches too long when worn with flats? Does StitchFix find you items that are unavailable in stores because they seem to be completely out of style?

You input your height and they ask if you like ankle, regular or heel length pants. I wish women's clothing in the states had an inseam like men's.

• Like 1

I feel like I need a strategy. I need to know where to go. What looks good on me and not just on the hanger. How much I'm willing to pay. If I buy online, am I willing to return items? I've been known to keep a $45 pair of shoes I didn't love because of the hassle of returning them.

Yesterday I went to JC Penney. I went to one department and found two blouses and one long plain black skirt. I tried them on, they worked, and I left. Dd wanted to look in some other stores but I was so tired already that I wasn't totally focused on the different stores. We tried half a dozen maybe and she finally saw that I was really ready to go home. I do like the clothes I bought but the skirt wasn't exactly what I wanted. I just figured it would be good to have a plain black skirt in my closet.

I'm willing to pay the $20 per box because it's basically paying for a personal assistant. I can't imagine the work she'll have to put in to find the things I like and that fit me. I also love that the money is credited to my account if I do buy something. If I get even one thing out of the box, I've already paid $20 towards it. I think the service is so cool that I'd pay the $20 per box even if I didn't get it back if I bought something. I'd feel like I was tipping the stylist.

I set up my boxes to be on demand, not a fixed schedule. I don't know how often I'll want a box and I might be looking for specific items each time. This box I definitely want at least one skirt and one top. I'm open to seeing what else she puts in there.

Quill: What if I like something but it's the wrong size? If I send it back, will they send me the new size or do I need to wait until my next box?

I don't know exactly how exchanging works because I haven't had that happen yet, but here's the part I do know: when your box arrives and you try on and decide about your items, you go on-line to your account to "check out" your items. This is where you will provide feedback and there is a set of buttons for "Return", "Keep" and "Exchange". I haven't done the exchange thing yet, but that is what I would do. I don't know if they just zip that item out riht away or if it is delayed. I also don't know if you would get back the $20 if the only thing you wanted to buy was an exchange.

Quill: What if I like something but it's the wrong size? If I send it back, will they send me the new size or do I need to wait until my next box?

I can answer this! You just click "exchange" when you check out and tell them the preferred size, and they will send you a replacement ASAP. I checked out yesterday, and already have a shipping notice for a pair of pants I'm exchanging. The clothes I'm sending back haven't even gone in the mail yet!

• Like 1

I'm sure some people don't. I do. I hate shopping for clothes. I am very picky. I don't know how to find things according to the ideas in my head. I'm pretty artistic and have a good sense of what things look good on me and how to put outfits together; what I don't know is how/where to find those pieces that are in my head. Sometimes I can do this by searching on-line, but then the return policy could be good or bad, I might have to pay for returns, etc.

I do think Stitch Fix is a strategy, just as Blue Apron is a strategy for providing fresh, healthy meals at home without the drudgery of planning a menu and going for groceries...if/when I eventually work FT, I'm totally getting one of those meal services because providing great homecooked and healty meals has become another dislike for me.

At first I kinda balked at the term 'strategy' but I have determined that I need one too.  I'm working with a career services organization to see if there is any sort of work I can find at my age/stage of life with a 20-year employment gap.  I have one outfit that seems OK for a job interview.  But clearly I am going to need more than one.  I hope so!  So yeah, I need a strategy!

• Like 1

Its not permission to buy clothes, but he would snipe at spending more when it is possible to spend less. I'm trying to think of an analogous thing... So, he likes beer. Suppose he joined a Beer-Of-The-Week club and he paid a subscription so they would send craft beers from all over the world. I would probably say, "That's dumb. It's just beer. Why not pick up a craft beer every week if it's so worthwhile? Why pay a fee so someone could send you beer they picked out for you to try?" That is a pretty good analogy for what he would think. I really just don't have any interest in having the sparring match over it and honestly, if he did want the beer subscription service, I would rather not know the details.

I manage the money in the household. but really, it's a good thing because he is unrealistic about what things cost.

Oh, I got that from your posts, my dh would probably find it odd, and ask goofy questions when I got boxes...

Edited by QueenCat
  • Like 1

Well, I talked to DH before deciding because of the expense. He certainly doesn't care if I buy clothes but he'd prefer I try to save money. He can understand $30 jeans but he doesn't understand how someone could pay $90 for them. We agreed I'd go shopping at the mall first to see what I could find but when I got home and showed him I only found a few things and didn't enjoy myself having to look around, he agreed the SF might be good for me. But he did ask that I only do it on demand and choose when I want a box rather than setting it up on fixed schedule. 

• Like 1

I'm definitely not asking permission to buy clothing or anything else as long as I'm staying within our budget and buying limits (we have an agreed-upon amount that we don't exceed without checking with one another). However, there are things that I bring up in an informational kind of way, and then there are the things that just don't get mentioned....(like how many books I bought today....)

Anne

• Like 2

I'm definitely not asking permission to buy clothing or anything else as long as I'm staying within our budget and buying limits (we have an agreed-upon amount that we don't exceed without checking with one another). However, there are things that I bring up in an informational kind of way, and then there are the things that just don't get mentioned....(like how many books I bought today....)

Anne

Yes. I might mention going shopping or out to lunch, just as chit chat over dinner. But as long as I'm within budget, no need for permission or whatever.

• Like 1

I guess it appears I asked permission but we don't have a budget. I can spend less than $100 without worrying about it but SF seems like a box could be over $200. That's a lot in one go when neither of us are used to spending so much on clothing at any time let alone so much at one time. I realize I might not want everything in the box but I have a feeling I'll be paying a lot for items I could probably find cheaper if only I was willing to go out and search, which I'm not thrilled with that idea.

• Like 4

I guess it appears I asked permission but we don't have a budget. I can spend less than $100 without worrying about it but SF seems like a box could be over $200. That's a lot in one go when neither of us are used to spending so much on clothing at any time let alone so much at one time. I realize I might not want everything in the box but I have a feeling I'll be paying a lot for items I could probably find cheaper if only I was willing to go out and search, which I'm not thrilled with that idea.

As I re-read my comments, I realize they might not have been diplomatic, or nice. I'm sorry, and I hope you'll accept my apology. As someone so used to working a budget, no matter our income, we've always used one to help plan and guide decisions, I was just taken aback but should remember there is more than one way to do things. Again, I'm sorry.

Edited by QueenCat
  • Like 2

I totally get it! I even earn my own income, we are stable financially, but if one of us intends to spend $100+ on something besides groceries or essential bills, we casually run this by each other - not "asking permission", but keeping each other updated on where money is going.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I totally get it! I even earn my own income, we are stable financially, but if one of us intends to spend $100+ on something besides groceries or essential bills, we casually run this by each other - not "asking permission", but keeping each other updated on where money is going.

Yes, I get it too.  Well, I don't have my own income.  :-)  But, same thing.  No budget line item for clothing, and we buy what we need, but we do discuss large purchases. Large is a relative term. $100 is a good number for us.  Sometimes though if I want something less expensive that could be really frivolous, I will ask his opinion (not his permission).  I can't think of an example right now but sometimes I have gotten the urge to buy some thing and he's been able to point out why it might be a bad purchase.  As for him, he will occasionally mention something he might buy and I can remind him that we have it, and point him to where it is.   :-)  

• Like 2

Anne

Exactly.

• Like 1