Menu

Stitch Fix questions

Night Elf

I'm trying to fill out the questionnaire. How do you answer some of these questions if you don't have an answer? I have no idea what my dress size is. I haven't worn a dress in over a decade easily. I know what size jeans I wear but I do not own any other pants or skirts. So they want letter sizes like S, M, L. Then they also want numerical sizes like 6, 8, 10. I used their size chart and according to it, my waist size is showing I should be in WAY larger sizes. I can tell you right now that if they send me a size according to my waist, it will fall off my body. What am I doing wrong? Is my body really that off?

I'm trying to fill out the questionnaire. How do you answer some of these questions if you don't have an answer? I have no idea what my dress size is. I haven't worn a dress in over a decade easily. I know what size jeans I wear but I do not own any other pants or skirts. So they want letter sizes like S, M, L. Then they also want numerical sizes like 6, 8, 10. I used their size chart and according to it, my waist size is showing I should be in WAY larger sizes. I can tell you right now that if they send me a size according to my waist, it will fall off my body. What am I doing wrong? Is my body really that off?

I just picked a size that seems about right. Clothing size can definitely vary by brand/designer, but if you are in the ballpark, it should work. So, for myself, when clothing is sized S M L, etc., I am usually a small, but for some designers "small" means sz 4, for others, it can mean 6 or even 8. American "small" is bigger than European or Asian "small."

Take your measurements, holding the tapemeasure at the standard points (for example, standard waist measurement is taken at the smallest part of the waist, even though I and many people do not wear our pants waist that high.) So my tape-measure "waist" measurement might be 27", but my measurement if I held the tape measure at the area where my pants waist hits, that is more like 32". But the 27" measurement is what manufacturers call the waist measurement, so 27" is my waist measurement.

Does that help?

Also, when I did it, I found the brand checklist intimidating, because I am not a brand shopper and many of those brands I had never heard of or at least had never been in those stores. I know Tori Burch is a brand, for instance, but I have never been inside a TB store or tried on any of those intimidatingly expensive clothes! Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¡ I think I only check-marked two brands; maybe J. Crew and Lucky, because I have actually had those on my body a few times, though often second hand.

Ok, I recently bought a Medium sized shorts. My jeans are size 6 and that is relaxed. I buy my tops in Large because I like them loose. What do I put for dress size? For skirt size I"m guessing Medium although their size chart shows Small. I chose Large for dresses because of the chart size and that I like my tops Large. 

DH is very dubious about this. He wants me to go to the mall to see what I can find because he doesn't want me paying $200 a box of clothing and accessories. My style, however, is more bohemian. I like flowy gypsy skirts and flowy tops. That was how I dressed when I met him and I miss it. All I wear now are jeans and Kohl's women's solid color tshirts. I just need a whole new look! Am I likely to find gypsy skirts at the mall?

In your case, I would say the true size and explain in your note section that you like your tops to fit loosely. Also, definitely state that you like boho look, flowy skirts, etc.

From what you described, I would say jeans size either 4 or 6, but state you like relaxed fit and nothing tight or body conscious. I wouldn't choose large for dresses; I would say M at most and use the note to say you want flowy and not fitted/body con. Use as much space to describe what you like and don't like in the note as you have; I go all the way to the end and even make some sentences more concise so I can fit in maximum instructions.

My guess is that if you say you like Bohemian and want to get back to that, the stylist will be *overjoyed* at how easy this request is to fill. I'm not even a clothing stylist at all, and my head is already filled with images of the kind of clothes and accessories I would pick for you. :)

For true confessions, I did not tell DH about SF and I haven't even told him what it is yet. He knows I have recently gotten new clothes and outfits, but he has no idea that it is a subscription service that works like this. He would think it is a stupid idea, most likely, so right now all he knows is that I have recently done some on-line shopping and I have some cute new tops and dresses. Ă°Å¸Ëœ This is probably bad wife behavior, but I'm thinking what he don't know won't hurt him...

ETA: I think you should put skirt size Small, and again, just explain you like flowy and not ever body con or tightly fitted. You may be surprised to find your clothes are much better with the recommended size. I know you have been talking about having some body image distortions recently, and this mismatch of size vs. what size is in your head can be part of that. When I was early 20s, I was always buying the wrong aize (too big) and body image distortion was the probable reason. Clothes that are the right size look much better. Cut of the clothing is a different part of how it fits.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 5

In your case, I would say the true size and explain in your note section that you like your tops to fit loosely. Also, definitely state that you like boho look, flowy skirts, etc.

From what you described, I would say jeans size either 4 or 6, but state you like relaxed fit and nothing tight or body conscious. I wouldn't choose large for dresses; I would say M at most and use the note to say you want flowy and not fitted/body con. Use as much space to describe what you like and don't like in the note as you have; I go all the way to the end and even make some sentences more concise so I can fit in maximum instructions.

My guess is that if you say you like Bohemian and want to get back to that, the stylist will be *overjoyed* at how easy this request is to fill. I'm not even a clothing stylist at all, and my head is already filled with images of the kind of clothes and accessories I would pick for you. :)

For true confessions, I did not tell DH about SF and I haven't even told him what it is yet. He knows I have recently gotten new clothes and outfits, but he has no idea that it is a subscription service that works like this. He would think it is a stupid idea, most likely, so right now all he knows is that I have recently done some on-line shopping and I have some cute new tops and dresses. Ă°Å¸Ëœ This is probably bad wife behavior, but I'm thinking what he don't know won't hurt him...

ETA: I think you should put skirt size Small, and again, just explain you like flowy and not ever body con or tightly fitted. You may be surprised to find your clothes are much better with the recommended size. I know you have been talking about having some body image distortions recently, and this mismatch of size vs. what size is in your head can be part of that. When I was early 20s, I was always buying the wrong aize (too big) and body image distortion was the probable reason. Clothes that are the right size look much better. Cut of the clothing is a different part of how it fits.

It's funny because my DH doesn't really care about the how's and why's of where I get new clothes.  He basically trusts me not to spend an unreasonable amount of money.  I've done a couple of Stitch Fixes and he knows I've ordered online, but if I tried to explain the concept he would not really care too much. Since they now do men's I've actually thought of getting him one to see what he thinks.

But to the OP, the most you would be out for trying it would be $20 for the styling fee, not $200. And if it was your first fix and you absolutely hated everything I bet you could talk customer service into refunding that money or sending you another fix without the fee.

Dang, now I want to try another one.  It's been a couple years since I've ordered a box.

• Like 3

My dd is taking me to the mall today. I don't hold out hope for finding what I want though. DH said if I didn't find anything I liked, I could order the Stitch box. He just knows I'm not a clothes horse. I have few clothes, i.e. one pair of jeans that fit and one pair of shorts that fit. He said if I decided to go with Stitch, I should do the boxes on demand and not on a fixed schedule since I don't want to fill my closet with too much.

<sni0>

<snip>

Why is that bad wife behavior?  :-)   Does your husband generally care how  you acquire new clothing?  That doesn't fit the image of him I have in my mind, based on your posts over the years. :-)   I can't imagine my husband caring about the details of my clothing acquisitions.  He'd care if I was suddenly spending a boatload of $$ on new clothes.  But other than that...

OP, take Quill's advice!  She knows this.  I hope you have fun and get a great box! 

• Like 7

My dd is taking me to the mall today. I don't hold out hope for finding what I want though. DH said if I didn't find anything I liked, I could order the Stitch box. He just knows I'm not a clothes horse. I have few clothes, i.e. one pair of jeans that fit and one pair of shorts that fit. He said if I decided to go with Stitch, I should do the boxes on demand and not on a fixed schedule since I don't want to fill my closet with too much.

Well, I suppose it is fair to give clothing shopping at the mall a fair last shot, especially if you can bring someone with you. (I do better clothes shopping if DD comes with me, because she "makes" me try things on that I would likely give up on.) But just to give one last shout-out to trying Stitch Fix, I love that the stylist picks out the things I have in my head and I don't have to keep going into different stores, trying to find something like what is in my head.

You certainly *could* do on demand, but I am happy I have mine set to schedule, because it "makes" me get clothes instead of perpetually putting it off. I am not a clothes horse, either, but having something I love just show up is some kind of wonderful. I don't think filling up your closet accidentally is a very big risk because chances are good you won't buy all five items in every fix or at your first box or two. So, let's say you get your first fix before the weather changes for fall (assuming the weather does change where you are; I don't know), but you buy two of the five items. If you decide to wait for your next fix and don't schedule an "emergency" fix to make up for not getting all five, you will have just two new things to begin the next season until your next scheduled fix arrives. There's no risk of getting too many clothes and you can change your frequency at any time. So, for example, because my recent box was a home run, I changed my next fix so it is not coming early September (one month), but is coming late September. I did this because my next fix should be cooler weather clothes. I don't want anything else warm weather because I am good now that I have gotten two sucessful fixes.

• Like 4

Why is that bad wife behavior? :-) Does your husband generally care how you acquire new clothing? That doesn't fit the image of him I have in my mind, based on your posts over the years. :-) I can't imagine my husband caring about the details of my clothing acquisitions. He'd care if I was suddenly spending a boatload of $$ on new clothes. But other than that...

OP, take Quill's advice! She knows this. I hope you have fun and get a great box!

Sin of omission? Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¡ I think it is slightly dishonest to not really explain what I'm doing, especially because he is Negative Ned and I think his knee-jerk reaction would be to think it is stupid. As far as he knows, I ordered some clothes on-line and that's why some boxes have been delivered and I have been wearing some nice new clothes. He would most likely think it was a dumb idea to have a stylist who has never seen or met me pick these things out, although now that I have worn some things he agrees look pretty, he may think differently.

• Like 2

I am still on the fence about stitch fix. Can I do boxes on demand or do they have to be on some kind of schedule? I have gone for years without clothes shopping but this year I bought several items.

How easy is it to return the items you are not keeping? Hand it back to UPS? Run to post office?

I looked at their website but have not seen quick answers to my questions even though they have a FAQ.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I am still on the fence about stitch fix. Can I do boxes on demand or do they have to be on some kind of schedule? I have gone for years without clothes shopping but this year I bought several items.

How easy is it to return the items you are not keeping? Hand it back to UPS? Run to post office?

I looked at their website but have not seen quick answers to my questions even though they have a FAQ.

You can do it on demand as opposed to a schedule.

Returns are via the postal service and can go right into your mailbox (the return mailer is a bag as opposed to a box).  There was only one time I had to take the package to the post office and that was with a pair of very chunky shoes - I couldn't fit the return mailer in my mailbox. 

• Like 2

Sin of omission? Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¡ I think it is slightly dishonest to not really explain what I'm doing, especially because he is Negative Ned and I think his knee-jerk reaction would be to think it is stupid. As far as he knows, I ordered some clothes on-line and that's why some boxes have been delivered and I have been wearing some nice new clothes. He would most likely think it was a dumb idea to have a stylist who has never seen or met me pick these things out, although now that I have worn some things he agrees look pretty, he may think differently.

My husband, same.  That's why I would probably not bother to tell him unless he asked.   :-)

• Like 1

Yes, returning the unwanteds is SUPER easy, which it totally must be or I would not do it. I HATE it when a company makes returns difficult, hard to figure out what you do, or expensive because of postage. SF is not difficult. The mailer is included in your box and it is postage paid. You just have to put the unwanteds in, seal it and put it in an ordinary outgoing mail box. (I do this at the post office, because I mail things for our business from the post office every other day, but I'm sure you can put it in your home mailbox if the mailer fits.)

• Like 3

I just signed up and it was all really easy. I am horrible at returns (I still have a belt with a receipt in the store bag from a store 15 minutes up the road that I have been wanting to return since early June) so easy returns was key for me.

My first stitch arrived last week and it was a total fail. 1 item too large, 2 not my style and 2 were ok but I couldn't justify the price ($90 for black skinny jeans? Um no) The general idea of the box was good, as I did want some cute shirts/sweaters/wrap dresses but these pieces were just not the ones I wanted.

So I immediately packed it all back up in the large bag they sent for returns and my husband dropped it at the post office for me on his way to work. It was very easy so I liked that part!

You can schedule the fixes on demand or at regular intervals. I decided from the beginning to give it at least 3 tries before giving up as there are a lot of mixed reviews so I signed up for a monthly box. You can cancel a shipment, put one on hold, bump one forward for a special event, or cancel the whole thing without any fees or penalties. You can sign up for just one fix and see if you like it but most reviews I read said you really need to give it a few attempts.

I am out $20 for the attempt but I am still hopeful I can get even a few nice pieces over the next few months. I have no time to shop so even just one item a month would make me happy. I don't expect to get $200 worth of clothes every month or anything. I would be happy to build up my wardrobe slowly.

The being out $20 almost made me keep an overpriced shell tank but in the end I couldn't bring myself to shell out $40 more for it (it was $58). I think that is part of their strategy, since you already paid $20 you might keep something you otherwise wouldn't. Likewise you get 25% off the whole box if you keep everything, which also encourages you to keep maybe some less desirable pieces. I have shopped a lot of retail clothing sales and I do find it hard to pay those higher sticker prices. I would if it were a quality piece I really loved though, because I just don't have time to hunt the sales anymore.

After sending it all back I jumped online and rated the items and chose reasons for returns, including pricing, fit, and style. I am hopeful the next stitch will be better. The whole process of trying on, mailing returns, and filling out the survey online took less than an hour. I am a super busy mama so that was the best part for me.

On a side note- I love floaty hippy skirts too and the best place I have found them is the thrift store/Goodwill!

Hope this didn't hijack the thread but I figured I would add in my recent experience for all those looking at this. For the OP you might try a nice middle ground of medium for skirts and dresses and see how that goes. Or at least try on some skirts and dresses at the mall to get an idea of your sizing outside of jeans. Let your husband know you do not have to keep $200 worth of clothes a month. If you find one hippie skirt in the box you like you just keep that one item, pay for it, and return the rest. You can cancel whenever you think you have enough of the items you were looking for or whenever you feel it isn't working. You are only out $20 to give it a try even if you hate the whole box. That was a low enough risk for me and I am pretty frugal and risk averse!

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 3

Another question - which may be addressed on their website but it's so much easier here.

Does the box contain tops and pants/dresses or can you specify you just need tops?

I have enough slacks, pants, etc but I do more frequently update tops.

Edited by Liz CA

You can specify what kind of items you want and how frequently, like every fix, often, rarely or never. So I put always for shirts and tops as that is what I wanted too. Things I hate (scarves, necklaces) I put never. Things I don't want a lot of right now because I am focusing on clothes (shoes, bags) I think I put rarely. Then you can change preferences later if you need to I believe.

• Like 2

I got 2 tops, 1 sweater, 1 dress, and one pair of jeans. I asked for skirts or dresses and tops in every fix because that is what I needed the most to start off with.

The fit was better than expected. Everything was perfect in separates but the dress was too large. This is typical for my store shopping experience as well because of my body shape. It takes a while to find a dress not too too tight at the top or too baggy at the bottom. I do better with separates although I love a good dress when I can find one. I was pleasantly surprised at the fit of my first box. I am a size 14-16.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

But just to give one last shout-out to trying Stitch Fix, I love that the stylist picks out the things I have in my head and I don't have to keep going into different stores, trying to find something like what is in my head.

I second this. Quill's experience convinced me to try Stitch Fix. The bulk of my wardrobe now is athletic clothes and casual wear, and I'm hoping to move away from the "mom uniform". Too often I've gone into stores and disliked everything there which is a huge source of frustration for me. I just received my first box and I was pleased with the quality of the clothes and the selections. I sent back three of the items because though they were close to my style, they weren't perfect. The two items I kept I love and I'm certain I would have spent hours in stores to find something similar.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 2

I have a question. I heard you can choose different price points for the clothes you're sent. What is the cheapest price range for the clothes you can get?

I'm thinking SF is out of my budget but I just wanted to check!

Edited by Epicurean

For the pricing, they ask you to select the price range you're willing to spend. The first one is 'the cheaper, the better'. The second choice is $50-$100. If I do this, I'm going to stick to the cheaper the better.

FWIW, I did go to the mall today. I found one long skirt and 2 flowy blouses and paid $84 for all 3. I also got a new pair of Toms which my dd said I could wear with my skirt. I'd love some more skirts though. I'm still thinking over the SF option. I must admit I'm afraid I'd like everything. :)

• Like 2

For the pricing, they ask you to select the price range you're willing to spend. The first one is 'the cheaper, the better'. The second choice is $50-$100. If I do this, I'm going to stick to the cheaper the better.

FWIW, I did go to the mall today. I found one long skirt and 2 flowy blouses and paid $84 for all 3. I also got a new pair of Toms which my dd said I could wear with my skirt. I'd love some more skirts though. I'm still thinking over the SF option. I must admit I'm afraid I'd like everything. :)

Oh, just do it. The worst that could happen is everything's horrid and you lose $20. I wasn't going to do it at first because I knew things would be more expensive than I'm used to. But now look at me - a Stitch-vangelist. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¹

• Like 5

Oh the heck with it! I just ordered my first box. It will arrive on the 21st. The note I gave to the stylist was I'm especially interested in flowy skirts. I hope she doesn't send all skirts though. :)

I'll check back in to give a report when I get my box.

Thank you everyone!

• Like 8

Oh the heck with it! I just ordered my first box. It will arrive on the 21st. The note I gave to the stylist was I'm especially interested in flowy skirts. I hope she doesn't send all skirts though. :)

I'll check back in to give a report when I get my box.

Thank you everyone!

Not to be a nag (well, I've gone way beyond nagging by now, lol), but you can still go edit your note and say more. :) I recommend you fill up the note with details until you have used up all the characters. Put key words in there, like saying you like Bohemian-style look and haven't found anything like that in a while. Tell the colors you especially like and the colors you never wear ever. Say you want things relaxed, not constricting or tightly fitted. You can even say you want some skirts but would be happily surprised for a top or two to go with it. Really, you can't go wrong by giving as much specific detail as possible and it is so much better if you make it easy for them to please you.

If you have a Pinterest, I think linking a pinboard is also very useful. A few of my positive fix clothes seem pulled right from my pinboard. There was one top on my pinboard about which I commented, "Love the red top." And then the red top that came in my fix seemed like a direct reference to the board. :)

Yay! I hope you get a very positive fix with things you immediately love. Be sure to tell us here how it went.

• Like 7

Why on earth would you think he would care how you got your clothes? That is an absolutely foreign concept to me.

I can see having an issue over the dollar amount being spent, but since you aren't mugging people to steal their clothes, why would he care whether you got them from a physical store or an online store or had a stylist pick them out for you?

• Like 1

Why on earth would you think he would care how you got your clothes? That is an absolutely foreign concept to me.

I can see having an issue over the dollar amount being spent, but since you aren't mugging people to steal their clothes, why would he care whether you got them from a physical store or an online store or had a stylist pick them out for you?

He wouldn't care in what manner they come here, but he would think (I predict) it's stupid to pay someone and pay more in general to have a "stranger" pick out clothes and send them to me. He personally does not care about style at all and is only the small amount stylish he is (when we are going aomewhere it matters) because I buy all of his clothes that are not event tee shirts or work boots. He has no personal strategy for acquiring clothes and sometimes, he's just obtuse enough to think that what he does is what all people should do.

You know the old saying, "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission"? Well, it applies here.

• Like 4

Not to be a nag (well, I've gone way beyond nagging by now, lol), but you can still go edit your note and say more. :) I recommend you fill up the note with details until you have used up all the characters. Put key words in there, like saying you like Bohemian-style look and haven't found anything like that in a while. Tell the colors you especially like and the colors you never wear ever. Say you want things relaxed, not constricting or tightly fitted. You can even say you want some skirts but would be happily surprised for a top or two to go with it. Really, you can't go wrong by giving as much specific detail as possible and it is so much better if you make it easy for them to please you.

If you have a Pinterest, I think linking a pinboard is also very useful. A few of my positive fix clothes seem pulled right from my pinboard. There was one top on my pinboard about which I commented, "Love the red top." And then the red top that came in my fix seemed like a direct reference to the board. :)

Yay! I hope you get a very positive fix with things you immediately love. Be sure to tell us here how it went.

There were two places for notes. One was in the More About You section before the section where you order the box. That's where I did the notes like you're talking about. For example, I said: No heels. No bare shoulders. No bare back. No earrings. And then some positive stuff about what I did like. 

The note I mentioned in the post above was at the very end of when I finished ordering. It said something about anything you want to say to the stylist? So that's where I said I am hoping to get at least one flowy skirt.

I don't know why there are two places for notes. What's the second one for really?

And I spent time building a clothing board on Pinterest before I finished my SF profile so I could include the board. So yes, she'll see the kinds of things I like. I put skirts, tops, shoes, and a few sweaters.

Do we alter our pinterest board and profile when the seasons change? Right now the way I want to dress is for warmer weather, but when it gets colder, I'll want long sleeve things and maybe some thicker skirts or relaxed pants.

• Like 1

I am out $20 for the attempt but I am still hopeful I can get even a few nice pieces over the next few months.

Wait . . . so, if the stylist gets it completely wrong and you hate everything and/or nothing fits, you get charged $20? And you areally encouraged to "try a few" before giving up? So, I could do this, end up with no new clothes I actually like or want and still be out $20, $40 or $60?

I'm still trying to adjust my brain to the idea of buying new clot he's every month, so the concept of spending that much money to NOT buy clothes is completely foreign to me.

I'very been curious about/tempted by Stitch Fix many times. I 'm super glad I read these threads, though, because it's become pretty clear it's not for me.

There were two places for notes. One was in the More About You section before the section where you order the box. That's where I did the notes like you're talking about. For example, I said: No heels. No bare shoulders. No bare back. No earrings. And then some positive stuff about what I did like. 

The note I mentioned in the post above was at the very end of when I finished ordering. It said something about anything you want to say to the stylist? So that's where I said I am hoping to get at least one flowy skirt.

I don't know why there are two places for notes. What's the second one for really?

And I spent time building a clothing board on Pinterest before I finished my SF profile so I could include the board. So yes, she'll see the kinds of things I like. I put skirts, tops, shoes, and a few sweaters.

Do we alter our pinterest board and profile when the seasons change? Right now the way I want to dress is for warmer weather, but when it gets colder, I'll want long sleeve things and maybe some thicker skirts or relaxed pants.

I've only done it once and have a second box coming so I'm not an expert. I think the first note is permanent...so things you always want them to know. No sleeveless tops, no orange, etc. The second note is more for the specific box...like "I really need new jeans, please send me at least one or two pair of jeans." or "I have a wedding coming up and need dressed for that event." 

I put "the cheaper the better" for everything. The items in my box were on the upper end of what I would ordinarily pay (because I usually only buy stuff on sale or at cheaper stores) but not outrageously expensive. If I had bought my whole box with the 25% discount would have been something like $150, which is pretty good for five items. I only bought two things and it was about $70 which I felt ok with because they were both things I really liked and have already worn several times. 

Dh has a saying that he heard once about clothes that is like "The most expensive thing you own is the thing you wear the least." Meaning that if you spend $100 on pants you love but wear them all the time it is better than spending $25 but not really wearing them. Of course it's nicer to spend $25 and find something you wear all the time, but that's rare in my experience and requires the time and effort to really shop and bargain hunt. I hate shopping so this is a great alternative for me...if it works. 

• Like 4

Wait . . . so, if the stylist gets it completely wrong and you hate everything and/or nothing fits, you get charged $20? And you areally encouraged to "try a few" before giving up? So, I could do this, end up with no new clothes I actually like or want and still be out $20, $40 or $60?

I'm still trying to adjust my brain to the idea of buying new clot he's every month, so the concept of spending that much money to NOT buy clothes is completely foreign to me.

I'very been curious about/tempted by Stitch Fix many times. I 'm super glad I read these threads, though, because it's become pretty clear it's not for me.

I've seen lots of people say that Stitch Fix gave them a refund of the $20 or sent them a different box if they really hated all the items. I'm guessing you can't do that multiple times because it would defeat their business model. But if they totally get it wrong, you might be able to get them to refund the $20 fee. 

For me, I'd rather pay $20 and get nothing than spend even an hour at the mall shopping and come away with nothing. I hate to shop. Hate it with a passion. 

• Like 4

Why is that bad wife behavior?  :-)   Does your husband generally care how  you acquire new clothing?  That doesn't fit the image of him I have in my mind, based on your posts over the years. :-)   I can't imagine my husband caring about the details of my clothing acquisitions.  He'd care if I was suddenly spending a boatload of $$ on new clothes.  But other than that...

OP, take Quill's advice!  She knows this.  I hope you have fun and get a great box! 

NM

Edited by QueenCat

I am intrigued. I still cannot wrap my mind around the subscription part, because I purchase two or three items of clothing per year, but I really, really need a couple of pants for work and have not had any luck finding something that fits.

How precise are the measurements you submit? Do I measure waist and inseam, or is it generic size M or sz 6?

On a side note: has anybody of average height (5'6) had any luck acquiring slacks that are of regular length, i.e. not ankle and not three inches too long when worn with flats? Does StitchFix find you items that are unavailable in stores because they seem to be completely out of style?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

He wouldn't care in what manner they come here, but he would think (I predict) it's stupid to pay someone and pay more in general to have a "stranger" pick out clothes and send them to me. He personally does not care about style at all and is only the small amount stylish he is (when we are going aomewhere it matters) because I buy all of his clothes that are not event tee shirts or work boots. He has no personal strategy for acquiring clothes and sometimes, he's just obtuse enough to think that what he does is what all people should do.

You know the old saying, "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission"? Well, it applies here.

My husband has a similar strategy.  He  mostly depends on me to take care of it: I'm like his own personal stitch fix.  He'll mention he needs a few new shirts, and when I'm shopping I'll look for some, or check the LL Bean sale to see if there's anything good.  (They are reliable for him as far as fit.)   Trousers are a little more difficult; it was disappointing when Costco stopped carrying their line of jeans.  (He mostly wears jeans to work.)  Casual and dress slacks are hit-and-miss when I bring some home for him to try.   When he needs to actually shop, we make a night of it and go together.  

I wouldn't call it obtuse, though.  While he is not manipulative, he has never liked shopping or paying attention to clothing, and has been perfectly happy for me to help him in this area.   We've only had trouble once.  I bought a bunch of new shorts which are longer than he likes because no one wants to see a 50-year-old guy in 6- or 8-inch inseam shorts.  He hates the longer shorts, but I stand firm.  

• Like 2

Yes, there are two places for notes. The style profile note should be general things that are always true about you. So, for example, in mine, I said that I dress more serious and not trendy. The final note for that particular fix is for anything you want to be true for this particular box, so that is a good place to say you really want at least one flowy skirt, but you would be happy to get a top or two in the same style (if that is true).

I have started adding fall and winter pins to my board because that's what I anticipate for my next scheduled fix. I have not deleted warm weather pins and probably won't; I'm assuming my note to thenstylist will indicate the season I'm dressing for.

Thanks to you all, I dreamed about Stitch Fix last night. :rofl: It was a terrible fix, with a bunch of tank tops (which I don't wear) and a gallon of perfume?!

I have gotten one fix so far and was pleased with it. I only kept one item but the others were pretty close. I hate shopping, so I think it is a great idea. My sister told me that it takes a while for them to believe that you actually won't buy the expensive items, but they will eventually.

• Like 3

Same here. I don't need dh's permission to get clothes. He'd think I lost my head if I asked if I could get something like clothing. I don't understand why one would do that. Neither one of us are apt to spend money that is needed for something else. If it's over a few hundred dollars, then we do discuss it. Unless it's a necessity.

Its not permission to buy clothes, but he would snipe at spending more when it is possible to spend less. I'm trying to think of an analogous thing... So, he likes beer. Suppose he joined a Beer-Of-The-Week club and he paid a subscription so they would send craft beers from all over the world. I would probably say, "That's dumb. It's just beer. Why not pick up a craft beer every week if it's so worthwhile? Why pay a fee so someone could send you beer they picked out for you to try?" That is a pretty good analogy for what he would think. I really just don't have any interest in having the sparring match over it and honestly, if he did want the beer subscription service, I would rather not know the details.

I manage the money in the household. but really, it's a good thing because he is unrealistic about what things cost.

• Like 2

wait... we need a "strategy" for acquiring clothes? I didn't know that either.

Well I need a strategy, but I have no clothes for the next season aside from one sweater, one long sleeve t-shirt and two pairs of jeans that don't fall off me, but are still big enough that pulling them up multiple times a day is annoying. And also, I have no idea what my style is and hate shopping. I'd love for someone to weed through that stuff for me.

I can see where if someone has a complete wardrobe that isn't outdated or hasn't been taken to Goodwill because of weight loss or gain probably doesn't need a strategy.

I went through the StitchFix profile set-up awhile ago. Quill's fixes plus this thread got me considering it again. Apparently I was 20lbs heavier when I thought about doing last time. I'm tempted again because like I said, I literally have nothing to wear when it gets cold, but I still have weight to lose so probably won't. The allure of not shopping is so strong.

• Like 1

I am intrigued. I still cannot wrap my mind around the subscription part, because I purchase two or three items of clothing per year, but I really, really need a couple of pants for work and have not had any luck finding something that fits.

How precise are the measurements you submit? Do I measure waist and inseam, or is it generic size M or sz 6?

On a side note: has anybody of average height (5'6) had any luck acquiring slacks that are of regular length, i.e. not ankle and not three inches too long when worn with flats? Does StitchFix find you items that are unavailable in stores because they seem to be completely out of style?

Well, I have not braved pants yet, although I asked for pants in my next fix so we'll see. It's hard for me to imagine how they can get pants right but allegedly, they do.

I would measure waist and inseam and then choose from the size chart they give on the website, which will be like size 6 or M. I have a notion that it is harder to get things that are not trendy right now. I couldn't be more clear that I don't want denim with holes, but we will see how well they heed that. If I get a pair of pants with the knees torn out, I will go ape shit.

I know for a while overly long was trendy for pants and now it's shrunken up to what seems to me two inches too short. So I'm with you on just wanting pants that fit normally in the length.

The styling fee is $20 for each box that arrives. But if you do buy at least one item in the box, you get credited back the $20. AFAIK, nobody at SF "encourages" you to try a few boxes before you decide no. I think that was just that poster's agreement she made with herself. Also, it's very flexible; you don't have to do it every month or every other month. You could do it once a year if that's what you want. I am doing it every month for now because I have so few clothes that I really love due to years and years of hating shopping, avoiding spending money on clothes and not succeding in developing a real "style" of my own.

If they were getting it wrong again and again, I would quit. It's clearly in their best interest to provide a box I'm likely to buy. I do think hey might test new customers a bit, to see how firmly you won't buy a maxi dress, say, or a jean jacket full of holes.

But if it's not something that makes sense to you, don't do it. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ 

• Like 1

wait... we need a "strategy" for acquiring clothes? I didn't know that either.

I'm sure some people don't. I do. I hate shopping for clothes. I am very picky. I don't know how to find things according to the ideas in my head. I'm pretty artistic and have a good sense of what things look good on me and how to put outfits together; what I don't know is how/where to find those pieces that are in my head. Sometimes I can do this by searching on-line, but then the return policy could be good or bad, I might have to pay for returns, etc.

I do think Stitch Fix is a strategy, just as Blue Apron is a strategy for providing fresh, healthy meals at home without the drudgery of planning a menu and going for groceries...if/when I eventually work FT, I'm totally getting one of those meal services because providing great homecooked and healty meals has become another dislike for me.

• Like 3

I feel like I need a strategy. I need to know where to go. What looks good on me and not just on the hanger. How much I'm willing to pay. If I buy online, am I willing to return items? I've been known to keep a $45 pair of shoes I didn't love because of the hassle of returning them.

Yesterday I went to JC Penney. I went to one department and found two blouses and one long plain black skirt. I tried them on, they worked, and I left. Dd wanted to look in some other stores but I was so tired already that I wasn't totally focused on the different stores. We tried half a dozen maybe and she finally saw that I was really ready to go home. I do like the clothes I bought but the skirt wasn't exactly what I wanted. I just figured it would be good to have a plain black skirt in my closet.

I'm willing to pay the $20 per box because it's basically paying for a personal assistant. I can't imagine the work she'll have to put in to find the things I like and that fit me. I also love that the money is credited to my account if I do buy something. If I get even one thing out of the box, I've already paid $20 towards it. I think the service is so cool that I'd pay the $20 per box even if I didn't get it back if I bought something. I'd feel like I was tipping the stylist.

I set up my boxes to be on demand, not a fixed schedule. I don't know how often I'll want a box and I might be looking for specific items each time. This box I definitely want at least one skirt and one top. I'm open to seeing what else she puts in there.

Quill: What if I like something but it's the wrong size? If I send it back, will they send me the new size or do I need to wait until my next box?