Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth86

1st trimester survival food

So, luckily I am not feeling unbearably sick or having food aversions, but I am TIRED and Im just not thrilled about meals right now. So give me your best breakfast, lunch, snacks dinners or whatever. Just really the easiest ideas to see me through until I get my energy back.

Peanut Butter and Jelly

Ice Cream (any ideas how I gained 50+ pounds each time, lol)

Frozen berries used in water like ice cubes, and eaten throughout the day

Ritz crackers and cheese dip

Something in the crockpot, but it has to go in the garage to cook all day because I can't stand to smell it.  

There's a cookbook called "Fix It and Forget It".  It uses only 5 ingredients, and your crockpot.  Lots of recipes that are really fast and easy to throw together.  

• Like 1

1st trimester for DC4 was the worst ever. I could hardly eat anything...nothing sounded good. And I puked a lot. That's when I began eating Wendy's chili. ???? I have no idea why, but it was the only thing I could stomach and I NEVER eat that, never before, never since.

So weird.

We'll, it's a wonder my kids haven't come out orange, because Kraft mac n cheese is about the only thing I can stomach in the first 16 weeks. We'll just have to see about this one.

Of course, none of said children will EAT that mac n cheese, which would make life easier.

What I've fed my family this time around:

cereal

Bagels and cream cheese

Sandwiches of any kind

Anything I can get DH to grill plus easy sides like baked potato

Pizza delivery

Take out

Pasta - with butter or jarred sauce and precooked sausages

I'm normally an "every thing from scratch" cook, but I've gone for convenience without guilt this time. My kids can't really help in the kitchen (the oldest is 4), and DH travels frequently. It's been a little more expensive and a lot less healthy, but I'm starting to feel so much better (16 weeks on Monday). I was even able to meal plan easy food last week, and everything got made!

If I had a history of being sick or extreme exhaustion all 40 weeks, I might have approached it differently, but I've just decided that it's a few, short months, and the kids will survive if dinner is yogurt, fruit, granola, and popsicles (um, last night).

For me, I know I'll pretty much lose the will to do anything around 36 weeks, but I'll have decent energy between 20 and 36 weeks, so I can stock the freezer for that last month of pregnancy and the first few newborn weeks.

Basically embrace the fact that it's summer; fresh fruit, some baby carrots and deli meat or hummus can totally be a meal.

Edited by medawyn

I ate far too many McDonald's chicken nuggets and fries during the first trimester. Flavored instant oatmeal usually didn't turn my stomach either. I can't even look at vegetables from about 6-12 weeks.

Edited by AnnE-girl

I ate a lot of elbow macaroni with a can of cream of chicken soup on it, like a boring mini-casserole.

Pasta was what seemed to help the nausea the most for me.

Instant mashed potatoes.

Edit: I was a total potato snob before I got pregnant, I never used potato flakes. First trimester changed that. Pull a packet out of the cupboard, boil water in the microwave, and have a tummy-warming bland comfort food in 3 minutes.

Edited by Danae

Thinking out loud, besides protein (obvious), I suggest sources of electrolytes/salt and probably fats.  I suspect those may be behind the common McDonald's craving.  (McDonald's was never so tasty as when I was pregnant...)

• Like 1

Instant mashed potatoes.

Edit: I was a total potato snob before I got pregnant, I never used potato flakes. First trimester changed that. Pull a packet out of the cupboard, boil water in the microwave, and have a tummy-warming bland comfort food in 3 minutes.

The frozen mashed potatoes from Trader Joe's aren't bad and totally easy to heat in small portions as needed.