Menu

x-post: College as cheap as possible? Update in #51

regentrude

Update:

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. This is where we are today:

As a first step, she will make an appointment to see a counselor at the CC to get some general guidance, over view over degree programs, etc. I have offered to accompany her if she would like.

Parents are willing to fill out FAFSA; I encouraged her to do that and talk to the Financial Aid people in order to find out what her options are.

She is considering taking the ACT.

ETA: She would be a first generation college student.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 18

I think the aa idea is good.    I've even seen some recommend local cc for the first two years - cheaper, smaller class size, some are taught by people who retired from the industry - and have practical experience.   (not a grad student)

fill out a fafsa! - even if her parents refuse to help her, she can still get aid.

for online - stick with a school with a good reputation.  re: not a scam.  generally, ones with brick and mortar buildings too.

look at the degrees they offer, bottom line it.  - what will it pay?  she could be somewhere that doesn't make anymore than she's making now, but thousands in debt.

she doesn't have to have a formal education for a good income.  if she has any sort of computer aptitude/interest, she could do very well in that area with some training.

there are some good two year aa programs that can make a decent living.  -re: dental hygienists, surgical tech, etc.

I will ask about FAFSA. I think the parents would be willing to provide their info.

Still, I don't see how it can work being a FT student. Surely, grant assistance will not pay for living expenses and transportation. At present, she is opposed to the idea of taking loans. I will discuss this with her.

About 30% of low income students work full time and go to school full time. Sometimes they live with a relative or someone from their churcn rent free, or they share a mobile home or student rental with others in similar situation. Transportation is bike, taxi, or public bus. Taxi or uber can be cheaper than owning a vehicle, depending on the work shifts. In general, the stores here are partnered with the school district for part time workers, as they have subsidized transportation...the jobs don't pay enough for anyone to drive to/from and cover vehicle costs with 2-3 hr shifts. Jobs with long shifts that may be available near you would be overnight hotel clerk, hospital overnight/weekend staff. Several of my son's coworkers at min wage jobs are alternating full time semesters...work two jobs and save up one semester, then school and one job next semester. Others have joined the national guard, but if your student isn't eligible that won't work. Edited by Heigh Ho

She needs to stay local. No employers who pay for college.

What are your local companies? It is harder with the young adult not sure what she wants to work as but if there are apprenticeship, those might be worth it more than a regular full time job. I had a dental hygienist apprenticeship after high school while waiting for college to start. It wasn't what I am suited for but I did pick up some useful skills and I was paid.

All the tech companies my husband and I worked for has education reimbursement as well as scholarships but it is not advertised as it is on a case by case approval. People get their AA then BSc/BEng that way. The most tightwad company I worked for reimbursed for trade certification costs (course fees and exams to a decent limit).

Do you have Target in your area? Here Target and Starbucks heavily advertised tuition help for employees.

"tuition reimbursement

Furthering your career sometimes means furthering your education. The Target Tuition Reimbursement Program helps eligible team members pay for job-related courses at accredited technical schools, colleges or universities."

https://corporate.target.com/careers/benefits/career-benefits

IKEA is another one that advertised education assistance for employees.

"• education assistance - If applicable, you

may be entitled to Education Assistance, which

means we will reimburse an agreed amount of the

cost of education fees, including course fees and approved text books, on the successful completion of each unit/course module/course.

• study leave - We offer two days paid study leave per calendar year for the purposes of exam preparation, exam attendance or assignment completion. Extended unpaid leave of up to two weeks may be taken for the same purpose."

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_AA/pdf/ikea_benefits_brochure.pdf

What are your local companies? ...

All the tech companies my husband and I worked for has education reimbursement as well as scholarships 

Do you have Target in your area? Here Target and Starbucks heavily advertised tuition help for employees.

IKEA is another one that advertised education assistance for employees.

Local companies? LOL. Fast food, walmart, hospital, small private businesses. It is a small town. Target and IKEA are 100 miles away.

• Like 1

About 30% of low income students work full time and go to school full time. Sometimes they live with a relative or someone from their churcn rent free, or they share a mobile home or student rental with others in similar situation. Transportation is bike, taxi, or public bus. Taxi or uber can be cheaper than owning a vehicle, depending on the work shifts. In general, the stores here are partnered with the school district for part time workers, as they have subsidized transportation...the jobs don't pay enough for anyone to drive to/from and cover vehicle costs with 2-3 hr shifts. Jobs with long shifts that may be available near you would be overnight hotel clerk, hospital overnight/weekend staff. Several of my son's coworkers at min wage jobs are alternating full time semesters...work two jobs and save up one semester, then school and one job next semester. Others have joined the national guard, but if your student isn't eligible that won't work.

Thanks. Small rural town here. No bus, no Uber. Person's parents live out in the country; car is the only means of transportation, which means getting car/moving into town top financial priority.

You may want to see if your state has any programs for first generation college students? What about the university? Even if they don't have scholarships, it may be helpful to have the support. First generation students are at higher risk of not completing their degrees.

I'm really thankful you are helping this person out, some people just need a person who believes in them. It sounds like you are doing that for this girl.

• Like 2

2ds was at ups for a bit.  they'd help with tuition. seasonal driver helper positions are starting soon.  he did am and online classes and worked in the pm.

then they have warehouse jobs that are year round.

there was a local burger joint that offered tuition assistance. 

Edited by gardenmom5

Bless you for helping this person try to get ahead.  Online courses that are Asynchronous are IMO very tough and require a lot of Time Management and Self-Discipline.  Synchronous courses would quite possibly interfere with her work schedule, if they meet online, rather than have video lectures that can be watched at the convenience of the student.  I worked with a young Engineer who'd gone to a university that had a CO-OP program. I think he worked for a company one semester and then went to school the next semester. By the time he graduated, he had some work experience on his resume too.  If the student is not interested in or qualified for the Military, that eliminates a lot of excellent educational opportunities for her.  There was a thread on WTM, last week or the week before, about CLEP and ACT (?) and I think Saylor? Saylor was interesting because there are no fees for tthe course or textbooks and if one pays for a Proctored Exam, they get a certificate.  The big question with CLEP or Saylor, etc.,  is whether or not a university will grant credit for successfully passing them. Probability of that is IMO low, but not impossible.  

Edited by Lanny

Thanks. Small rural town here. No bus, no Uber. Person's parents live out in the country; car is the only means of transportation, which means getting car/moving into town top financial priority.

What the young people here do is ride in with a neighbor. There is usually someone going in to town for their job or for school. Same for reverse trip. Guys will often bike. Taxi is also a good option if she isn't too far out.

Online courses require reliable internet. The students we know go to a free wifi location ..even at the low income rate, its too much for their budget to have internet at home..but maybe she is planning to move to an area where there is town wide wifi.

Edited by Heigh Ho

I will ask about FAFSA. I think the parents would be willing to provide their info.

Still, I don't see how it can work being a FT student. Surely, grant assistance will not pay for living expenses and transportation. At present, she is opposed to the idea of taking loans. I will discuss this with her.

If she doesn't fill it out, then she can't get Pell grants. You can get Pell grants for part time.