Menu

Wow. A People Mag Arrived

MommyLiberty5013

At my home for some reason (addressed to me but I don't subscribe. Not interested.) On a whim I paged through and knew none or nearly none of the faces/names except Jennifer Aniston on the back page for a Smart Water ad.

I am fully not part of pop culture. Wow! It was a weird experience. Who are these people????

• Like 4

Do you know anyone with a subscription who might have gifted one to you? My mom subscribes and recently she was given the opportunity to gift a subscription (don't know how long) at no cost to her or the recipient. She asked me first but I have no interest in it so she asked my sister who did take it.

• Like 2

I'm not a celebrity follower, either. One time, we were at a party and the host arranged a game where a celebrity's name gets taped on your back and you're supposed to ask people yes/no questions to figure out who it is and I was like, "Oh man. My husband and I are going to bomb at this game because the only names we know out of those are Hillary Clinton and angelina Jolie." She couldn't believe we were this out of touch! 😂

But we're not out of touch on those news shows where they interview people on the street who don't know who Joe Biden is! 😂

• Like 5

I will sometimes pick up a People mag while I'm waiting in a doctor's office.  I always have reading material with me but I like to be familiar with names of the people in the news. It doesn't mean I am a fan.  :-)   

Is there no label on the magazine?  Unless someone dropped it in your box randomly it has to have a delivery address on it.  We have gotten odd subscriptions a couple of times.  Most recent was one for Rolling Stone magazine.  I think it was some sort of gift related to an order my daughter placed at Forever 21.  In any case, my name was on the label.  I called them and canceled it, no problem and it never showed up again.

• Like 1

It's s new advertising scheme I believe. Last year I got People once a week for a couple months then they tried to get me to purchase a subscription.

This year I received Cosmo, I returned the first couple issues to sender then tossed the rest. They finally quit arriving.

Ugh I was getting People for a while when I did not want it - I assumed it was a "freebie" from ordering other magazines I did want.  I used to get so annoyed seeing it in the mail.  I don't even want my kids seeing that trash for the 10 seconds it takes me to stuff it into the recycle bin. :/

I also get parenting magazines from the same mysterious source.  That's annoying too.  :P

• Like 3

How strange! For the past 6 months I've had Vogue delivered to my house and addressed to me. I asked my family if they happened to get me a subscription, but everyone has said no. I thought maybe it was a joke of some kind.

What's really funny is that if you knew me, you would see how ridiculous having a Vogue subscription for me is. I know nothing of fashion, never fix my hair or make-up, most of my clothes come from Goodwill, and I only own 3 pairs of shoes.

• Like 3

If I was getting Cosmo like that, I'd be angry. I don't consider that to be family-friendly. :/

Agreed! My 9 and 7 year old don't need sex tips. They are also the types that they must read everything, I wasn't even comfortable ditching it in the recycling bin.
  • Like 2

There was a time when I enjoyed reading those types of mags on vacation or at a doctor's office.

These days I purposely avoid even thumbing through them in waiting rooms. I don't even want to know the names of anyone in the magazine.

It's like I'm sticking my head in the sand and my fingers in my ears, and I'm perfectly happy with my level of ignorance.  :)

• Like 2

I got some sort of automobile magazine for a while, probably because we bought a new car.  I got in touch with the subscription department and asked them to stop sending it.  They were going straight into the recycle bin, and I felt guilty about it.

What's really odd is when you are raising six "all boy" boys and one day out of the blue you receive the American Girl doll catalog. That made me laugh.

Edited by Kinsa

My husband subscribes to free magazines and then we end up getting random magazines from the same magazine distributors. I had an unrequested magazine once that mentioned getting my mailing address from Pottery Barn. It was quite some time ago and I just flipped through the family friendly magazine and toss.

If I was getting Cosmo like that, I'd be angry. I don't consider that to be family-friendly. :/

Cosmo is on library magazine collection here. It is on the library's Zinio subscription too.

I sometimes wonder if someone is playing a joke on me with magazine subscriptions because I get a bunch and subscribed to none.  

I get Us magazine and I don't watch tv or movies and have no interest in the material.

I used to get American Baby, but now I get Modern Bride (I've been married for 30 years) and Essence magazine (I'm white).  

• Like 6

At my home for some reason (addressed to me but I don't subscribe. Not interested.) On a whim I paged through and knew none or nearly none of the faces/names except Jennifer Aniston on the back page for a Smart Water ad.

I am fully not part of pop culture. Wow! It was a weird experience. Who are these people????

When I stand in the check out line, I always see faces and names and have no clue who they are. It's kind of amusing to me. Now and then a name pops up from way back when and I recognize it...:lol:

• Like 3

I'm not really interested in pop culture, but for some reason I enjoy reading those gossip rags. I'd never buy one, but I don't mind going through a stack of them in the doctor's office or beauty salon.

Yes, they always make me glad nobody is waiting to see what dress I wore to the Academy Awards of wherever, and glad nobody will be talking about Who Wore It Better.

• Like 3

We started getting the local newspaper last week. We don't subscribe to the local paper, but we do subscribe to a few others. A few days later we got a letter stating we were chosen for a free 6-week subscription.

You gotta watch out for stuff like that, or you could get a piggy-back bill that the free subscription had ended and now you are paying. That happened to me a couple times in the past.

• Like 1

My 22 yo dd, who lives about 4 hrs away from us at college, began receiving a subscription to Seventeen at my address. I called and they said it was a gift from someone, but wouldn't tell me who. They told me they'd just cancel it, but we continue to get it about every other month. It's not a magazine anyone in our house is interested in reading.

• Like 1

Sometimes when I've ordered things online, it takes me to a page where I can get a free 3-month magazine subscription or opt out, and then continue on to checkout.  And sometimes, a magazine is already checked, so you have to intentionally uncheck it before checking out.  It drives me crazy!  Maybe something like that happened.

• Like 1

It's s new advertising scheme I believe. Last year I got People once a week for a couple months then they tried to get me to purchase a subscription.

This year I received Cosmo, I returned the first couple issues to sender then tossed the rest. They finally quit arriving.

It's funny so many people are mentioning this.  My DH has been getting People (he really couldn't care less), my non-athletic younger son is getting ESPN, and I'm getting Dirt Bike (I hate dirt, and haven't been on a bike since I was 12) magazines.  None of which we subscribed to and none of which anyone would have gifted us. 

• Like 2

It's funny so many people are mentioning this. My DH has been getting People (he really couldn't care less), my non-athletic younger son is getting ESPN, and I'm getting Dirt Bike (I hate dirt, and haven't been on a bike since I was 12) magazines. None of which we subscribed to and none of which anyone would have gifted us.

Who knew there was even a Dirt Bike magazine?
  • Like 3

If you guys are interested there are ways to get free magazines subs.   You do not get a bill every.  I haven't paid for a sub in at least 12 years and we get almost every mag out there.  

From GQ to Economist. 

And we read them all.  I love magazines.

Okay, I'll bite.  I'd love the economist.  How do I do this?

There are lots of different companies that do this.  

I will post all the ones that I use and you will not get a bill ever.  Some you have to fill out surveys or some you earn points.  Easy peasy.  All of these are totally legit

recyclebank.com

https://www.recyclebank.com/rewards/music-books-magazines

rewardsurvey.com    - watch out for the ones you choose here.  They just started adding a 99 cent processing fee, which they never used to on some of them

www.rewardbee.com/

http://www.rewardsgold.com/promos/fb/fourth_of_july_treats/reward_select.htm

Join to get even more

http://cdn.mercurymagazines.com/121-12197487/index.html

You will have to find each link for each magazine, best way to find it is on slickdeals or hip2save

https://tradepub.freebizmag.com/20001778/

same thing with mercury

http://hip2save.com/2017/08/10/hurry-grab-a-free-1-year-subscription-to-cosmopolitan-elle-more/

https://www.valuemags.com/home/free_magazines.asp

The subscriptions change all the time too, so you will find others that are not there today. 

Economist I have seen on Rewardsgold as well as the Wall Street Journal.   It might have been on other ones too.    Just have to keep your eye on it. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Thanks! :)

Gonna sign up my dentist, and my orthodontist, and my doctor, and Memorial Sloan-Kettering (they have the most hi-falutin' magazines you might ever hope to see, but surely not everybody with cancer in the metro area likes that?) and....

Edited by Tanaqui