Menu

What is your dream job?

mommyoffive

I've had a few that appealed to me, and most of them still do.

Teacher, but not in a modern public school - something more like a small CM type school

Professional gardener (I'd still like this but the physical aspect could be a problem.)

Naturalist, the old fashioned kind.  I was really into science as a kid, but mostly what used to be called "natural history".  

Essayist.  Along those lines, my grandfather had a journalism job that really appealed to me.  He did some hard news - city hall mostly - which is the kind of hard news I like.  He also wrote book reviews, and had opinion columns and such over the years.  He had one which he wrote mostly about his kids and other local characters, though he gave them pseudonyms.  It was comical a lot of the time, and included poems he had written.  And in those days he also he also did some of the technical stuff like layout.  The combination of all that really appeals to me.

• Like 1

I would like to write a screenplay for a blockbuster like Steel Magnolias and then enjoy the real dream job of being a philanthropist. I don't want to make a fortune to live in luxury. I just want all the bills paid and have an opportunity to experience giving away a lot of money to people who can put it to wonderful use.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 3

My dream job, is to win the lottery so I can open my own business. It won't be profitable...hence the lottery LOL I want it to be a space for both the parents and children of special needs kiddos.

I would open a 'play gym' for kids with special needs. An indoor playground full of equipment used in OT/PT offices for special needs kids. The more innocuous things like swings, and small rock walls, ball pits etc.

Kids would be able to schedule time in the gym like a 2 hour appointment, but not have it be a medical environment. Each child would have a personal assistant to help them play.

In my mind, there would be a center area with spokes coming off of it. I would want each spoke to be a room. Each room would have a 'play assistant' and a few pieces of equipment. The wall connecting the spoke rooms, to the center room, would be clear and have a clear door, so the parent can seen inside, but the noise inside would be reduced for the child, if they want it to be. At one area on the spoke, there would be a large free for all room, so the kids could play together, but still each have an assistant. Neruo typical siblings could be in the open play area without an assistant.

The parents could be involved, but they could also sit in the center and have a cup of coffee and chat with others. I would also like for there to be a balcony that is purely a quiet space for the parents to take a time out. Like a large reading area, but with instructions for it to be a quiet space so the parents can just relax if they want.

I would love for this to be near a school for people wanting to work in OT/BT/PT so they could possibly be a pool of people to hire :0)

My goal...is for there to be a play area that puts the special needs kiddos wants first and the parents wants second, and the NT kids needs 3rd. Playgrounds are not that great for special needs kids. I want to switch that up, and provide someone to actually do the play for the parents....so the parents can chill for a bit. Realistically there would maybe be 5 rooms and the open area, so a max of 5 families or so at a time. Not too much chaos, but a nice group.

My job would to be...taking care of the parents...and helping as needed of course. But it is a dream.....

When I become a professional philanthropist I am definitely going to give you money for this!

Edited by Seasider

State regulations bar me from doing the at-home thing. And not many people want you prepping in their kitchens. Plus, my goal was to make big batches of a few different entrees per week and sell to subscribers or one-offs. Maybe when the kids are out of college I can invest some money in it. Or maybe state regulations will loosen up.

Sometimes town halls allow people to hire their kitchens too, since they are sitting empty most of the time. 

Does your local government have a small business officer to talk to?

My dream job was to report around the world for National Geographic, writing interesting pieces about various areas/cultures/peoples, venturing in to areas of the world most don't.

Then I realized that would be difficult to do while having a family.

So.....I am a school counselor......close, right? :lol:

This! I stay home and negotiate peace talks between my kids...close?😂

• Like 1

You can do a lot on half an acre, providing you have access to water. Can't you start small? A bit of a dream is better than none!

Yes! I plan on starting a few raised beds this fall. We had to find a workable solution to our deer problem.  Alas, we have "covenants and restrictions"--so I don't think an actual greenhouse will fly with my neighbors--I'm on a corner lot, so EVERYONE can see my entire backyard. Rows and rows of corn and okra isn't considered fine landscaping in suburbia. lol  And we are pretty wooded, so only a small fraction of the half acre is actually suitable for a garden. I'll be happy with a few "no till" raised beds for veges. Keepin it small and unobtrusive. :)

Edited by stephensgirls
  • Like 1

Yes! I plan on starting a few raised beds this fall. We had to find a workable solution to our deer problem.  Alas, we have "covenants and restrictions"--so I don't think an actual greenhouse will fly with my neighbors--I'm on a corner lot, so EVERYONE can see my entire backyard. Rows and rows of corn and okra isn't considered fine landscaping in suburbia. lol  And we are pretty wooded, so only a small fraction of the half acre is actually suitable for a garden. I'll be happy with a few "no till" raised beds for veges. Keepin it small and unobtrusive. :)

Ever seen Rosalind Creasy's books? Maybe you can impress your neighbours with edible landscaping tricks. :D

I saw a house that had a green house added to the front like a room. They kept blinds between it and the actual liveable house down in summer, but opened vents between to use that heat during winter. Tricksy and clever.

When I was younger, my dream job was being a stay-at-home mother to a big brood of kids.

My current dream job is to find a rich family with a new baby who want child care from a person with an early childhood education degree.

My future dream job is to be a grandmother and to never be without a grandbaby on my hip.

At least I'm really consistent.

• Like 3

when I was growing up - I wanted to be a nurse.  really, really.   but educational opportunity was a big issue.  too much struggling to just stay afloat in my (very messed up) foo for me to deal with LDs on my own as a teen. 

then kids  . . .

now, I'm sticking my toe back in the college thing . . . we'll see where it goes, but I keep hearkening back to that desire to be a nurse.   (there are a couple local ccs that offer a scrub tech program.  that could be fun . . . .) 

I just read an article about a woman who received her BA after going back to college.  it took her ten years, but she did it.  she's 91. 

• Like 2

Sounds like first most of us need to become independently wealthy and then we can do what we love.

DH and I often talk about how we would love to just randomly bless people....like a $100 tip to a waitress, bless a family with tickets, parking, and meals at an amusement park, donate cases of TP to the local food pantry, etc.

• Like 3

I love teaching high school, but my dream job would be teaching at community college or university (NOT as an Adjunct Professor). Adjunct Professors are treated horribly and paid virtually nothing.

Teaching in a cc or university setting is nicer than teaching in a high school because you don't have the discipline issues and the paperwork is a lot less. I plan to retire from teaching high school by teaching at cc.

Probably a toss up between cooking healthy meals for families or a travel agent. They're really my two passions. Unfortunately I think travel agents are going by the wayside. And I spent a lot of time getting certifications for the cooking thing, but can't find a kitchen space even remotely affordable to try a go at it. I enjoy marketing, which is what I'm doing now, but if I could make a decent living at either of the others I would do so in a heartbeat.

I have a friend who cooks once a week for families.  She works out of the Senior Center in maybe not the best part of town.  The Senior Center has a registered kitchen, and she is able to rent space in it at an affordable rate.

She cooks Thai food once a week, on Monday's, and has about 6 different recipes that she rotates through.  You can order full size (serves 6-8) for about $60 or half size (serves 3-4) for about $30.  She makes Pad Thai and Spring Rolls and Curry with rice and other really great meals: Laab salad, etc.  It's not cheaper than fast food, but it is cheaper (and better) than eating out as a family.  

She sends out an email with the menu, and you respond if you want to order it, let her know what options you want (with chicken or shrimp or vegetarian, etc) and what time you want to pick it up.  Then you stop in at the Senior Center and pick it up on the way home from work.  

I think it is a genius business model!  Low over head! No serving! No delivering! No irritating your neighbors with customers coming to your home!  She has decided to offer lunches on Fridays.  And she will be offering delivery on those Fridays to local businesses - a few seniors from the Senior Center are her delivery drivers.

Anyway, I'm sure you've look into it, but I just thought I'd tell you about my friend's experience.  I would love a couple other family meal options like she is offering - my kids are not huge fans of Thai food, so I would enjoy some other menu choices...

Edited by wendy not in HI
  • Like 2

My dream job just opened up this week, but it's a volunteer (unpaid) position.  *sigh*  LOL  There is a non-profit that I love and I would really like to be a volunteer coordinator--someone who manages, trains, and sets up volunteer teams to work at the place.  There would be other duties like light clerical but this is what I really like to do.  Galvanize volunteers--they are usually so diverse, I love it!--to accomplish the goals of a charity/non-profit that I love.

I think I just got this job!  Volunteer and Event Coordinator for a really interesting non-profit.  It fell into my lap a few weeks ago and I'm loving it!  It is my first real paid job as an adult and I think it is going to be really great, as soon as I figure out what I'm doing...  (I have been doing something similar in a non-paid way for the last two years, but it feels so good to be paid and really appreciated!!)

Edited by wendy not in HI
  • Like 2

I have a friend who cooks once a week for families.  She works out of the Senior Center in maybe not the best part of town.  The Senior Center has a registered kitchen, and she is able to rent space in it at an affordable rate.

She cooks Thai food once a week, on Monday's, and has about 6 different recipes that she rotates through.  You can order full size (serves 6-8) for about $60 or half size (serves 3-4) for about $30.  She makes Pad Thai and Spring Rolls and Curry with rice and other really great meals: Laab salad, etc.  It's not cheaper than fast food, but it is cheaper (and better) than eating out as a family.  

She sends out an email with the menu, and you respond if you want to order it, let her know what options you want (with chicken or shrimp or vegetarian, etc) and what time you want to pick it up.  Then you stop in at the Senior Center and pick it up on the way home from work.  

I think it is a genius business model!  Low over head! No serving! No delivering! No irritating your neighbors with customers coming to your home!  She has decided to offer lunches on Fridays.  And she will be offering delivery on those Fridays to local businesses - a few seniors from the Senior Center are her delivery drivers.

Anyway, I'm sure you've look into it, but I just thought I'd tell you about my friend's experience.  I would love a couple other family meal options like she is offering - my kids are not huge fans of Thai food, so I would enjoy some other menu choices...

I just heard about a start up by a refugee woman. She had an app made so busy people in her city could book home cooked meals, which are made by a group of her mates cooking a few extra serves while they are cooking for their own families.