Menu

How to get WW to work

DawnM

I have tried WW in the past with minimal success.  Back prior to marriage, when I had money, I did Jenny Craig and it did work.  The ONLY difference I can see is that the portions were already pre-measured so I didn't "fudge" (haha!)

I need something low cost.  We have two boys in college in 2018 and are pinching pennies this year to save for the upcoming costs.

I will not be joining, I will be using the itrackbites app and writing things down.

I simply CANNOT do any more of the "no sugar, no flour, no carbs, no meat, no dairy, no, no, no" diets.....I fail.  I have to make it workable. I don't mind alternatives (lower fat/lower calorie, etc...) items, but cutting out things I truly love just leads to failure.

So, in reading what I have written, would you say it ultimately comes down to not tracking/measuring correctly?

I followed and tracked religiously (using a scale), and I cannot lose weight without cutting carbs. Well, I haven't tried going vegan, but nothing else ever worked. If counting calories works for you, there's no reason the meetings are necessary if not for moral support and accountability. Good luck!

• Like 1

I use MyFitnessPal. You can pick what portions of the diet you want as Carbs, Protein and Fat. Everything falls into one of those. Based on my doctor's rec, my diet is 50% Carbs (but no more than 25 grams of "added sugar" daily), 30% Fat, and 20% Protein. Total calories per day is 1700, but that will be reduced to 1650 when I hit another 3 pounds, and then 1600 when I lose the last ten, as that is maintenance level for the goal weight. It's working for me. I've lost 7 pounds in the past 6 weeks. And I'm not starving or deprived.

• Like 2

Short-term diet modifications are great for quick changes to sort out something specific, but long-term success usually requires a lifestyle, long-term plan. I'd categorize weight loss of more than 5 pounds as a long-term goal. A short-term goal would be upping fibre and laxative to fix up a constipation issue. 

So of all the "no" items you listed, are there any that can go straight to "low" - sugar is the obvious one. No/low sugar is great for so many body parts, such as your teeth and oral health. Think of all the money you can save on dental hygiene.

No carbs is just not possible nor necessary, so choose healthy carbs instead and say "no" to junk. Replace the word "meat" with protein, and add variety to all the types of protein you eat. Choose healthy fats and skip the junk as much as possible.

Work on eating healthy, and put the time and effort into avoiding putting junk in your body.  Also, look at adding in more movement into your lifestyle. Think of it as both a short-term and long-term investment into your mobility and energy levels for now and for decades to come. 

• Like 3

I am doing the old Weight Watchers points system....not the new one or the previous points plus but the one before that. I found a calculator online for how many points I get a day.

I get 31 which is roughly 1650 as each point is roughly 50 calories...less for high fiber foods, more for higher fat foods.....to encourage making healthier choices. You also get 35 extra points a week to eat any way you want....all in one day for a nice buffet or spread over the week or whatever works for you...and you can vary it week by week

There are also activity points you can earn each day for exercise.

So far I have lost 5 pounds on 5 weeks...not huge but slow and steady. I have NOT felt deprived at all....I often save 3 points for my dearly loved regular Coke in the evening :-)

The key is to eat all of your points. When. I try to eat less I actually don't lose.

I am focusing on drinking more water, moving more and making better choices but when a co-worker gifted me a donut I ate it guilt free (just ate a bit less later that day). I don't want my diet to become an issue for others or interfer with my social get togethers, etc. I am just trying to eat less and healthier over all.

• Like 1

For me, WW worked because of the tracking and portions. In the beginning, I was surprised at how much I ate in one sitting and how often I ate. Adjusting to smaller portions fewer times a day was not easy the first couple of weeks. But once I got in the groove, my body adjusted. I never deprived myself. If I had something high points, I wrote it down and had other lower point foods for the rest of the day. I joined in 2011 and I still follow the plan because it's so easy and it keeps me on track for maintaining my weight.

• Like 3

I'm doing the new WW and I LOVE it. I think the science is better (with the revamp sugary foods "cost" more points, protein is lower, fruit and non starch veggies are "free"). I need tracking. I need accountability. The app has its own social media system called Connect, which is essentially WW Instagram. It's super encouraging, positive, as helpful. It's really fabulous. I lost 75# with ww few years ago, stopped going, and gained it all back. I'm back, almost a month in, and feeling great. I'm hoping to hit -15# this week, but my results are NOT typical. I have had minimal sugar since day one, 1 eat an oikos yogurt (Stevia sweetened) daily, and I have chosen to limit refined carbs. I do eat a slice or two of Trader Joe's sprouted wheat bread daily, but no pasta, about 1/2 cup rice, and 2/3 cup potatoes since starting. I may add in more of my loss slows. I'm a carb and sugar addict, so I'm trying to change my habits and not just substitute with low point versions of trigger foods. I LOVE the emphasis on "beyond the scale".

Anyway, I'm loving it.

If you need some encouragement the Fatdag podcast "Whys Advice" is awesome. Highly recommend to anyone trying to lose weight.

• Like 2

Personally the new WW doesn't work for me, and I figured out why--it's that I can eat enough fruit to gain weight, and have zero points doing it.  I am basically a fresh fruit pig.  The older WW points systems were better for me, but MyFitnessPal is even better because it's free, it's online, it's direct (no translations of points into calories), and it counts everything.

• Like 3

Short-term diet modifications are great for quick changes to sort out something specific, but long-term success usually requires a lifestyle, long-term plan. I'd categorize weight loss of more than 5 pounds as a long-term goal. A short-term goal would be upping fibre and laxative to fix up a constipation issue. 

So of all the "no" items you listed, are there any that can go straight to "low" - sugar is the obvious one. No/low sugar is great for so many body parts, such as your teeth and oral health. Think of all the money you can save on dental hygiene.

No carbs is just not possible nor necessary, so choose healthy carbs instead and say "no" to junk. Replace the word "meat" with protein, and add variety to all the types of protein you eat. Choose healthy fats and skip the junk as much as possible.

Work on eating healthy, and put the time and effort into avoiding putting junk in your body.  Also, look at adding in more movement into your lifestyle. Think of it as both a short-term and long-term investment into your mobility and energy levels for now and for decades to come. 

Yeah, I am well aware of all the "lifestyle change" things people talk about.  But I have to change or I won't lose weight......so eating a certain amount is necessary, if it weren't, I would already be thin.

And I have never had a cavity in my life, so no dental change would be a GREAT thing.

Personally the new WW doesn't work for me, and I figured out why--it's that I can eat enough fruit to gain weight, and have zero points doing it.  I am basically a fresh fruit pig.  The older WW points systems were better for me, but MyFitnessPal is even better because it's free, it's online, it's direct (no translations of points into calories), and it counts everything.

Oh, I am with you there!  Now, the old, old plan where you get an oreo or a half a banana????  That one didn't work so well, I will pick the oreo!  HAHAHA~  But yeah, the all the fruit you can eat doesn't really work for me either.

• Like 1

Yeah, I am well aware of all the "lifestyle change" things people talk about.  But I have to change or I won't lose weight......so eating a certain amount is necessary, if it weren't, I would already be thin.

And I have never had a cavity in my life, so no dental change would be a GREAT thing.

I don't know what other people mean by lifestyle change. To me it means permanent - you do it for life.  Like a PP mentioned, the WW points system has been working for her for nearly a decade, and will probably continue to do so for another couple decades. 

And as far as the dental thing, different things motivate different people. I'm thrilled to have eliminated by sensitive spots in my mouth by cutting way back on sugar. I wish I'd done it years ago. As yummy as chocolate may be, it's not really worth the pain. Eating it once in a while is fine - daily is not. Some people are not motivated to change until they feel a pain that can't be ignored anymore. I might be one of those people. ;)

Edited by wintermom

I don't know what other people mean by lifestyle change. To me it means permanent - you do it for life.  Like a PP mentioned, the WW points system has been working for her for nearly a decade, and will probably continue to do so for another couple decades. 

And as far as the dental thing, different things motivate different people. I'm thrilled to have eliminated by sensitive spots in my mouth by cutting way back on sugar. I wish I'd done it years ago. As yummy as chocolate may be, it's not really worth the pain. Eating it once in a while is fine - daily is not. Some people are not motivated to change until they feel a pain that can't be ignored anymore. I might be one of those people. ;)

Well, I cannot cut out carbs for the rest of my l life, nor can I cut out anything for life......so, there ya go.

I kept my weight off until I  had kids.....they sucked the thin right outa me.

And I can't see myself eating 1200 calories for life......but maybe.....all diets have you cut back while you are losing and add things back in once you lose, the person who stayed on WW was now on maintenance for example.

What motivates me is actually losing the weight.  Health doesn't motivate me because I am pretty healthy, I have never been on meds, etc.....

I've done WW many times, plus about every other diet out there over the years. I think it's all about finding what you can stick with. That's where I struggle. Ultimately, I've been most successful with No S. I've lost at the same rate (about a pound/wk) as I did on WW, but without all the tracking.

As for the iTrackBites app, it's great! And you can choose between WW old classic plan, pts plus, or smart points. The app is inexpensive, is super easy to use, and has a great community feature for support and weigh in groups if you want them.