Menu

Help me with my way of eating choices--from LCHF to vegetarian but still want to lose weight

38carrots

When I don't "stray" from my way of eating, I eat no sugar (other than minimal berries), some veggies low in the GI, and lots of protein and fat. No grains, no beans. I'm relatively happy this way and feel healthy.

After several months of disorganized snacking on everything, I've been  back on the LCHF for 3 weeks now and also quite a few inches around my hips and waste (very needed.) I need to lose another 30-40lb.

I've been discussing vegan / vegetarian diets with my teen DD on and off for years--many of our friends are vegan. Frankly, nothing compelled me to even think "vegetarian." I always maintained that I am a meat eater, and that was it. I feel best on a paleo style diet.

But I feel something is changing. I think I don't want to eat something that was killed anymore. I'm not sure where it is coming from and I'm not sure if it is a phase, but right now I'm seriously considering becoming a vegetarian.

I'm envisioning myself eating different beans, lentils, veggies, fruits, grains such as quinoa, oatmeal, teff. Yogurt. Occassional free range eggs. Those are all the foods that I love. I won't eat added sugar, but would eat fruits.

However, I really want to lose weight, once and for all this time. It's my "baby weight" that should've been gone 7 years ago! I'm done with this. I'm worried that I will stop losing weight if I switch from LCHF to vegetarian.

How to approach this? Can I be LCHF-ish and vegetarian? How to lose weight while vegetarian?

• Like 1

I have no experience with LCHF as a vegan/vegetarian because LCHF as an omnivore did not work for me. I know there are some out there who do. However, I have lost 102 lbs (I have 30-ish to go) as a HCLF vegan so it's not like LCHF is the one and only way to lose weight. For some people LCHF works. If they're happy and losing weight, good for them, but there are lots of ways to lose weight.

For me, meat and dairy was ok. I wasn't a big steak eater and meat wasn't ever the focal point of my meal. Life without starches and then having to count and limit my carbs? Oh, heck no. I'd rather have been obese for the rest of my life than do that, especially since even after 6mos on a LCHF diet, I still felt so nauseous all the time.

I went vegan in 2015 and never gave what I didn't eat another thought. I did it to lose weight. I stayed because of ethics. I use calorie density as my guiding principle and when I'm hungry, I eat.

Above all, if you're looking at permanent weight loss, it has to be something you can stick with for the rest of your life. It can't be a diet you go on and then off when you've lost the weight so you can go back to eating the things you no longer eat. On the other hand, you'll never know until you try what really works and is something you can stick with.

• Like 8

You need to find a way of eating that works for you that you can stick with.  I'm LCHF but that doesn't mean that you should be.  If you settle on a way of eating and want/need additional strategies to lose weight, I recommend that you read up on fasting.  Dr. Jason Fung is my favorite resource for fasting.

• Like 1

I don't know - it seems to me like you are really flipping around between "diets" a bit.  But, I don't think it's possible to get away from killed things, myself.  If ethical food sources concerns you, I'd start looking at what you can find available in your community, both in terms of animal and plant products,

• Like 1

Vegans are generally much thinner than the normal population, and to my knowledge, the only group whose normal is to be of "normal" weight.  If you're avoiding junk food, it's difficult to get fat from whole, unprocessed foods. The lack of fat and high fiber tends to make one full.

I would encourage you to occasionally eat eggs though, even if you have to raise the chickens yourself to be sure they are treated ethically. The reason for this is that your brain is primarily made of saturated fat, and for some (unknown) reason, lacto ovo vegetarians live longer than the general population, but vegans die sooner than the general population, of (arguably worse) neurological diseases.  Also, strong family histories do not necessarily mean you can't die from heart disease, even as a life-long vegan.

If you are going to follow it, eating 90% of the time like Dr Fuhrman recommends will make a huge difference in your weight and health.  Then if you want to throw in a veggie & cheese omelette once or twice a week you'd probably have the perfect balance of nutrients to saturated fats for health, at least in my experience.

Highly recommend reading up on Dr Fuhrman for the healthiest plan, The Starch Solution (Dr McDougall) for the easiest & cheapest plan, A Pound of Cure by Dr Matthew Weiner for a Fuhrman-inspired rapid weight loss plan that can permanently change your body's set point, and Dr Michael Gregor of NutritionFacts.org for interesting science if you tend towards wanting to read medical studies.  I have linked to their YouTube channels in case you're more of a watcher than a reader, or just don't want the library fees or $60 Amazon bill right now.

• Like 1

I haven't read through all the responses, but I am LCHF, which naturally helps me restrict calories because I just don't feel hungry. However, I was reading an article (something along the lines of "Does the keto diet work") and the general idea was...Yes, it works, but any calorie restricted diet will work. From what I understand, though, you will gain water weight as you add carbs back in.

FWIW. I have lost about 10 lbs, I have 30-40 left to go. I am not a nutritionist and just trying to figure out how to shed some weight.

Edited by MyLife
  • Like 1

One word of caution.  It has been my personal experience that vegetarians/vegans often downplay the very real risk of becoming B12 deficient on a meatless diet.  B12 deficiency is very dangerous and horrible, and if it's severe enough or goes untreated for long enough, the neurological damage can be permanent.  Some people will argue that fermented soy products contain B12, but that was only the case with traditional fermenting methods, not with modern production methods.  I'd recommend you go on a sublingual B12 supplement immediately if you do decide to give up meat.

I have tremendous respect for vegans and vegetarians who make that choice for ethical reasons.  But the arguments that it's healthy do not convince me at all.  It doesn't make sense that a species that evolved to be omnivorous would be healthier by giving up meat -- just like it would make no sense for me to say that a species that evolved to be omnivorous would be healthier by giving up vegetables!  The all-cause mortality rate for vegans is troubling.  Plus, my own personal experience leads me to believe it is an unhealthy diet:  by the end of five years of it, I was hypoglycemic, weak as a kitten because I had so little muscle tone left, constantly fatigued, immune-compromised, and living in a brain fog so bad I could barely think straight.  (But I was skinny!  :lol: )

I understand the desire to not have to kill animals for your food.  It's something that still troubles me.  My husband and I both are hoping that the day will come when some miraculous meat-like substance with ALL of the nutrients of real meat can be artificially grown and mass-produced.  But until that day comes, I'm personally just not willing to go back to feeling that bad all the time.  But you should do what works for YOU.  It is entirely possible that if I had supplemented with more protein (such as whey protein shakes, or hydrolyzed egg protein, etc.) and taken B12 supplements all along, it wouldn't have affected me so badly.  

• Like 1

You need to find a way of eating that works for you that you can stick with.  I'm LCHF but that doesn't mean that you should be.  If you settle on a way of eating and want/need additional strategies to lose weight, I recommend that you read up on fasting.  Dr. Jason Fung is my favorite resource for fasting.

See, LCHF is what I can easily stick to. Yes, I've strayed, but I also ate like this for years, and I lose weight I feel great. But I feel something is changing in me in terms of what I want to be not eating. I'd like to explore this more.

I occassionally do a 5:2 fasting week.

I guess I should stop being worried about my weight and just give it a go.

I don't know - it seems to me like you are really flipping around between "diets" a bit.  But, I don't think it's possible to get away from killed things, myself.  If ethical food sources concerns you, I'd start looking at what you can find available in your community, both in terms of animal and plant products,

Yeah, I've been thinking that to feel physically healthy and to be losing weight I enjoy LCHF and it works and I can maintain it easily. But something else, maybe like emotionally / spiritually (?) is making me think that I have this inner need not to eat animals. I guess if this is the case, I should not worry about my weight. And yet it is tempting to lose some more. Maybe I'm just slowly losing my mind! lol

Vegans are generally much thinner than the normal population, and to my knowledge, the only group whose normal is to be of "normal" weight.  If you're avoiding junk food, it's difficult to get fat from whole, unprocessed foods. The lack of fat and high fiber tends to make one full.

I would encourage you to occasionally eat eggs though, even if you have to raise the chickens yourself to be sure they are treated ethically. The reason for this is that your brain is primarily made of saturated fat, and for some (unknown) reason, lacto ovo vegetarians live longer than the general population, but vegans die sooner than the general population, of (arguably worse) neurological diseases.  Also, strong family histories do not necessarily mean you can't die from heart disease, even as a life-long vegan.

If you are going to follow it, eating 90% of the time like Dr Fuhrman recommends will make a huge difference in your weight and health.  Then if you want to throw in a veggie & cheese omelette once or twice a week you'd probably have the perfect balance of nutrients to saturated fats for health, at least in my experience.

Highly recommend reading up on Dr Fuhrman for the healthiest plan, The Starch Solution (Dr McDougall) for the easiest & cheapest plan, A Pound of Cure by Dr Matthew Weiner for a Fuhrman-inspired rapid weight loss plan that can permanently change your body's set point, and Dr Michael Gregor of NutritionFacts.org for interesting science if you tend towards wanting to read medical studies.  I have linked to their YouTube channels in case you're more of a watcher than a reader, or just don't want the library fees or $60 Amazon bill right now.

Thank you! I will look into those!!!

• Like 1

There are studies that show low fat works as well as low carb,if you stick to it. That basically there is a sweet spot on either end of the spectrum. 

Just give it a try, and avoid white flour, sugar, etc and you should be fine. But do expect a few pounds of water weight when you add carbs back in. 

• Like 1

I haven't read through all the responses, but I am LCHF, which naturally helps me restrict calories because I just don't feel hungry. However, I was reading an article (something along the lines of "Does the keto diet work") and the general idea was...Yes, it works, but any calorie restricted diet will work. From what I understand, though, you will gain water weight as you add carbs back in.

FWIW. I have lost about 10 lbs, I have 30-40 left to go. I am not a nutritionist and just trying to figure out how to shed some weight.

This is how I feel on LCHF--I stop craving sweets, I'm never hungry and I pretty much eat all I want, but it isn't that much because I'm not craving junk. Easy to lose weight and without the cravings I feel like my life is under control! lol

How to transition to the lacto-ovo vegetarian without immediately gaining weight? And more importantly--without the CRAVINGS!

One word of caution.  It has been my personal experience that vegetarians/vegans often downplay the very real risk of becoming B12 deficient on a meatless diet.  B12 deficiency is very dangerous and horrible, and if it's severe enough or goes untreated for long enough, the neurological damage can be permanent.  Some people will argue that fermented soy products contain B12, but that was only the case with traditional fermenting methods, not with modern production methods.  I'd recommend you go on a sublingual B12 supplement immediately if you do decide to give up meat.

I have tremendous respect for vegans and vegetarians who make that choice for ethical reasons.  But the arguments that it's healthy do not convince me at all.  It doesn't make sense that a species that evolved to be omnivorous would be healthier by giving up meat -- just like it would make no sense for me to say that a species that evolved to be omnivorous would be healthier by giving up vegetables!  The all-cause mortality rate for vegans is troubling.  Plus, my own personal experience leads me to believe it is an unhealthy diet:  by the end of five years of it, I was hypoglycemic, weak as a kitten because I had so little muscle tone left, constantly fatigued, immune-compromised, and living in a brain fog so bad I could barely think straight.  (But I was skinny!   :lol: )

I understand the desire to not have to kill animals for your food.  It's something that still troubles me.  My husband and I both are hoping that the day will come when some miraculous meat-like substance with ALL of the nutrients of real meat can be artificially grown and mass-produced.  But until that day comes, I'm personally just not willing to go back to feeling that bad all the time.  But you should do what works for YOU.  It is entirely possible that if I had supplemented with more protein (such as whey protein shakes, or hydrolyzed egg protein, etc.) and taken B12 supplements all along, it wouldn't have affected me so badly.  

Thank you for this. Yes, I'm worried about not feeling well. I'd really like to feel well on an lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. I like feeling healthy and this is a concern...

• Like 1

I would encourage you to occasionally eat eggs though, even if you have to raise the chickens yourself to be sure they are treated ethically. The reason for this is that your brain is primarily made of saturated fat, and for some (unknown) reason, lacto ovo vegetarians live longer than the general population, but vegans die sooner than the general population, of (arguably worse) neurological diseases.

w.

This is just not true. I am not even vegan, but this "fact" that vegans die sooner of neurological disease must be a scare tactic from a blog or some such.

And of course you should supplement B12. I have eaten vegetarian in the past and every reputable source recommends this. B12 supplementation is also recommended for everyone over 50, including omnivores.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 4

One word of caution. It has been my personal experience that vegetarians/vegans often downplay the very real risk of becoming B12 deficient on a meatless diet. B12 deficiency is very dangerous and horrible, and if it's severe enough or goes untreated for long enough, the neurological damage can be permanent. Some people will argue that fermented soy products contain B12, but that was only the case with traditional fermenting methods, not with modern production methods. I'd recommend you go on a sublingual B12 supplement immediately if you do decide to give up meat.

Some, not all and certainly not anyone who actually knows what they're talking about. Vegans *will* need to supplement with B12. There is not sufficient quantities of actual B12 and not just analogues in fermented soy. It's also not just buying a sublingual B12. It's about the kind of B12 and the dosage you take. It is fairly simple to account for (and as people get older, omnivores also should be supplementing). VeganHealth.org (http://www.veganhealth.org) is my go to source because it's run by an actual RD.

As for the brain damage thing, Katy brings that up in every vegan/vegetarian thread. I have yet to see actual reputable resources on this outside of Katy here on the forums.

I've got muscles, I've lost body fat. I'm a half-marathoner who has plenty of energy. Also, not hypoglycemic. No cravings. I am healthier now than I have ever been. My biometrics have all markedly improved. I weigh less than I did in college, high school, and middle school.

But it's something I can stick with. OP, I think you'll have to try and see if it's something you can do and stick with.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 4

Some, not all and certainly not anyone who actually knows what they're talking about. Vegans *will* need to supplement with B12. There is not sufficient quantities of actual B12 and not just analogues in fermented soy. It's also not just buying a sublingual B12. It's about the kind of B12 and the dosage you take. It is fairly simple to account for (and as people get older, omnivores also should be supplementing). VeganHealth.org (http://www.veganhealth.org) is my go to source because it's run by an actual RD.

As for the brain damage thing, Katy brings that up in every vegan/vegetarian thread. I have yet to see actual reputable resources on this outside of Katy here on the forums.

I've got muscles, I've lost body fat. I'm a half-marathoner who has plenty of energy. Also, not hypoglycemic. No cravings. I am healthier now than I have ever been. My biometrics have all markedly improved. I weigh less than I did in college, high school, and middle school.

But it's something I can stick with. OP, I think you'll have to try and see if it's something you can do and stick with.

Yes, I'm only just now learning about the different forms of B12 because I just found out that I am borderline-deficient (and I haven't been vegan in 20 years, so that's obviously not the reason why!). I am hoping to get B12 injections, but since I am still within the much-too-broad "normal" range I am doubtful that my doctor will do that (will find out next week at my appointment). So I plan to start researching the best forms and proper dosages for supplements that are available OTC. Thank you for the link. I look forward to reading it!

And let me apologize/explain if I was unclear. I definitely don't think that my experience with veganism is some kind of perfect predictor of what others will experience. Even though we are all the same species, I am often astounded by how different people thrive on dramatically different diets! But I do think caution is warranted. I don't believe that it's a natural diet (but of course, most of us are living on "unnatural" diets in one way or another!). And I also caution people about the risks with a LCHF diet, even though I did much better on that, and felt so much healthier, and think it's generally a great diet. That doesn't mean that it's perfect! So I hope I didn't come across as too preachy or judgmental.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been thinking that to feel physically healthy and to be losing weight I enjoy LCHF and it works and I can maintain it easily. But something else, maybe like emotionally / spiritually (?) is making me think that I have this inner need not to eat animals. I guess if this is the case, I should not worry about my weight. And yet it is tempting to lose some more. Maybe I'm just slowly losing my mind! lol

I would try to separate out health and ethical questions.  

But I wouldn't leave things at something as amorphous as "an inner need not to eat animals".  I'd try and draw a much more complete, rational picture of what it is you are looking to accomplish, and why.  

• Like 1

Thank you for this. Yes, I'm worried about not feeling well. I'd really like to feel well on an lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. I like feeling healthy and this is a concern...

I think lacto-ovo-vegetarian will probably be fine! If you are smarter about it than I was (which won't be difficult! :lol: ) you probably will be perfectly healthy. Making sure you get enough protein (I didn't) and limiting or avoiding processed foods (I didn't) and taking B12 (I didn't) will make it a healthy diet.

• Like 2

This is just not true. I am not even vegan, but this "fact" that vegans die sooner of neurological disease must be a scare tactic from a blog or some such.

And of course you should supplement B12. I have eaten vegetarian in the past and every reputable source recommends this. B12 supplementation is also recommended for everyone over 50, including omnivores.

I think the neurological thing is supposed to relate to sources of DHA?  I am remembering some long ago reading though, so I can't say if that is reliable or even accurate.

I would try to separate out health and ethical questions.  

But I wouldn't leave things at something as amorphous as "an inner need not to eat animals".  I'd try and draw a much more complete, rational picture of what it is you are looking to accomplish, and why.  

Hm...I think that sometimes innner need / intuition is enough. It is not that I just abruptly took this decision. It's been in the air for a while...

Hm...I think that sometimes innner need / intuition is enough. It is not that I just abruptly took this decision. It's been in the air for a while...

If you don't think about it carefully, you might find you aren't accomplishing your goals.  If you care about animal life, for example, eating an environmentally sustainable diet that maintains ecosystems might be a lot more effective than cutting out all meat.

• Like 1

If you don't think about it carefully, you might find you aren't accomplishing your goals.  If you care about animal life, for example, eating an environmentally sustainable diet that maintains ecosystems might be a lot more effective than cutting out all meat.

Yes, this makes sense. A big part of my decision is based on a nutritional approach recommended to those who practice meditation / yoga. So it is not only caring about animal life, but also about what I want to put into myself.

• Like 1

I've not read the replies. I eat plant based/vegan with little to no oil, sugar, processed foods and try to stick to water as my beverage (although I do have coffee). I do not count calories or focus on portions. I love to eat high starch foods and incorporate potatoes in just about every meal. I specifically love Dr. McDougall and The Starch Solution. For recipes, I have several cookbooks (plant pure kitchen, forks over knives, etc. type books)... but honestly my favorite is youtube. I particularly love a channel called High Carb Hannah. She has great food recipes and has lost over 70 pounds. I eat everything I love still, just healthy plant based versions (Mexican, pizza, Italian, Mac and "cheese", queso dip, etc). When I want something sweet, I make "ice cream" in my vitamix with frozen bananas. It's unbelievably yummy.😊

• Like 2

This is how I feel on LCHF--I stop craving sweets, I'm never hungry and I pretty much eat all I want, but it isn't that much because I'm not craving junk. Easy to lose weight and without the cravings I feel like my life is under control! lol

How to transition to the lacto-ovo vegetarian without immediately gaining weight? And more importantly--without the CRAVINGS!

Eventually, I plan to add in more carbs from whole food (sweet potatoes, fruit), but I never want to go back to craving junky carbs and sugar. I feel good on LCHF and it is VERY easy for me to maintain. I don't have an ethical issue with eating meat, but occasionally (often) the texture gets me. So, I go through phases where I eat a lot of eggs. I wish I had some good ideas for you. My only suggestion would be to invest in a vegetarian cookbook.

ETA: I'm assuming you are eating a whole foods, clean diet on LCHF. So as you transition, DO NOT add in processed foods. Don't have the attitude, "Oh I'm a vegetarian, I'm going to eat all these chips and crackers." Just don't even go there. I really believe that processed food are a slippery slope and contribute to all the cravings.

Edited by MyLife
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm only just now learning about the different forms of B12 because I just found out that I am borderline-deficient (and I haven't been vegan in 20 years, so that's obviously not the reason why!). I am hoping to get B12 injections, but since I am still within the much-too-broad "normal" range I am doubtful that my doctor will do that (will find out next week at my appointment). So I plan to start researching the best forms and proper dosages for supplements that are available OTC. Thank you for the link. I look forward to reading it!

Part of the issue with dofferent forms is not so much that one is superior to the other, but rather that one we have more research on so can better determine dosage. Smaller doses are also a better idea than mega doses because our body can only absorb so much at one time. So, if you're planning on only a couple of doses then they tend to need to be slightly bigger than if you take small doses spread out over a week. Since B12 is so very important, I really appreciate what Jack Norris, RD has put into the page on B12 over at Vegan Health because I like my brain and that of my kids. :D We do small doses every day via fortified plant milk and then two larger weekly doses. It's particularly hard to overdose on B12 from what I've read so I err on the side of caution.

Sometimes threads on vegans get a little on the anti side so it was less a response to you specifically and more a general statement. I think we both agree that there are lots of ways to be healthy and that one's adherence is always key. :)

There is also vegan DHA. Dosage and sources are discussed at Vegan Health.

Personally, I do not think that egg consumption and milk is an ethical choice for me simply because it really is part of the same system. In order to have milk, you need baby cows and once baby cows are born, they're not only separated from their moms so humans can get the milk, but then those babies become meat. No one is raising these baby cows to adulthood and letting them live out their long, happy lives grazing in pastures. For eggs, we're talking female chickens so then what happens to the male chickens? Again, no one is raising all these roosters so that they can live long and happy chicken lives. And since I consider them sentient beings, I wouldn't eat them any more than I would my dog or cat. How we decide to eat cows and pigs and treat horses, dogs, and cats as pets really is arbitrary.

Eggs are really the only exception I could see if we're talking rescued chickens that one personally cares for and treats humanely. I don't like eggs anymore so it's not an avenue I've considered. Taste buds really do change.

I also have zero interest in debating this with anyone. My ethics are a personal decision and others will absolutely take the same information and make different choices as is their right.

And also, I miss Whole Soy Yogurt and banana nice cream is amazing.

• Like 3

Yes, this makes sense. A big part of my decision is based on a nutritional approach recommended to those who practice meditation / yoga. So it is not only caring about animal life, but also about what I want to put into myself.

So - my question would be, why do people who practice yoga and meditation recommend that?

My understanding is that it is largely based on their beliefs about the nature of the material world.  How would that affect any dietary choices within a framework you accept?

Not that I expect you to answer me here - but this is the kind of thing I think is worthwhile to consider for yourself - that way of thinking about meat-eating isn't random - it comes out of a set of beliefs about the world that has larger implications.

• Like 1

I learned this from Dr Michael Gregor, a doctor who is a vegan, and who is behind NutritionFacts.org. His theory is that it had to do with lack of essential fatty acids and B12, but he really didn't know. Because the brain is saturated fat, that is my personal theory of why the difference exists. I think he discussed it in his book as well, but I know he discussed it in this (very long) speech:

• Like 1

I have no experience with LCHF as a vegan/vegetarian because LCHF as an omnivore did not work for me. I know there are some out there who do. However, I have lost 102 lbs (I have 30-ish to go) as a HCLF vegan so it's not like LCHF is the one and only way to lose weight. For some people LCHF works. If they're happy and losing weight, good for them, but there are lots of ways to lose weight.

For me, meat and dairy was ok. I wasn't a big steak eater and meat wasn't ever the focal point of my meal. Life without starches and then having to count and limit my carbs? Oh, heck no. I'd rather have been obese for the rest of my life than do that, especially since even after 6mos on a LCHF diet, I still felt so nauseous all the time.

I went vegan in 2015 and never gave what I didn't eat another thought. I did it to lose weight. I stayed because of ethics. I use calorie density as my guiding principle and when I'm hungry, I eat.

Above all, if you're looking at permanent weight loss, it has to be something you can stick with for the rest of your life. It can't be a diet you go on and then off when you've lost the weight so you can go back to eating the things you no longer eat. On the other hand, you'll never know until you try what really works and is something you can stick with.

Wow! 102 pounds!!! That's amazing! CONGRATULATIONS on all of your hard work and dedication!!! :hurray:

I think it's perfectly reasonable and acceptable to be concerned about your ability to lose weight if you change your eating habits, no matter how noble your reasons for the dietary changes. I don't think it has to be a one-or-the-other situation. :)

• Like 1

vegans die sooner than the general population, of (arguably worse) neurological diseases.

Katy, would you please provide a link with a reputable source for this statement? I want to read more about this, since a family member has chosen to become vegan. Thanks.

ETA: I saw you linked a video clip. I am looking more for a scholarly article in a peer reviewed journal.

Edited by regentrude

Katy, would you please provide a link with a reputable source for this statement? I want to read more about this, since a family member has chosen to become vegan. Thanks.

ETA: I saw you linked a video clip. I am looking more for a scholarly article in a peer reviewed journal.

Go to NutritionFacts.org and look there.  All Dr Gregor does is interpret reputable studies.

Can I just say I sympathize? I seem to lose weight best on a low carb (ish) diet. Lots of grains/beans/etc make me crave more food. But I'd rather not eat animal products for ethical reasons. At the end of the day, I prioritize my health over the health of the animals but don't love that I have to make that choice. I was vegetarian for 10 years and vegan for two, during which time my weight went up and up.