Menu

Amazon textbook rental - exchange/return?

Matryoshka

We've had really good luck with Amazon textbook rentals till now.

The latest book just came and the cover is curled and starting to come apart.  Since if I return it with a torn or taped cover they will consider it unacceptable condition and charge me full price, I think I need to exchange it - in order not to have the cover come completely apart, I'd have to tape it.  But I'm not seeing how to do this - do I have to return it and just order a new one as a separate order?

I could have sworn I saw a post here a while back from someone who had something similar occur, and they talked to Amazon and get a replacement.  But I'm not seeing how I do this?  Anyone know?  I'd rather someone know why I'm returning it (unacceptable condition) so that was on record somehow...?  I'd actually be fine if someone told me it was okay to tape the cover - the inside is in fine condition.  But if I tape it and that triggers charging me the full ultra-exorbitant price for this banged-up copy, yeah, no.  

If you're concerned, I would contact them immediately.  You're correct - if would be better to have it on record (maybe a photo to send them).

I've only had good experiences with Amazon in fixing issues. With 4 kids in college, we've rented close to 40 books through them.

We did receive a rented textbook from them and a large portion of the book was missing.  They immediately sent a replacement (with all the pages!).

• Like 4

Just to let everyone know what happened - I ended up contacting them through chat.  They gave me a discount off the rental and said I could tape up the cover and they'd put a note in that they wouldn't consider that 'damaged' and charge me for the book.  So, that's a good outcome. :)

• Like 6

We just had an unwrapped/unprotected softcover textbook arrive in the same box as our 35 lb bag of dog food. Its cover and first 9 pages were banged up and folded. I called regular customer service and they offered to either replace it or to refund a portion of the charge and the customer service rep said she would notate the damage so dd isn't charged for it when she returns the book after the semester. Dd will call to confirm, but I don't anticipate any problems. GL!

• Like 1

Both rental textbooks we received from Amazon last semester were in poor condition, not meeting Amazon's standards/criteria.  DD didn't mind using them but I didn't want to be charged when we returned them. I sent Amazon an email with a description of the damage and offered photographs.  While I wasn't offered a discount on the rental, they did reply that they noted the damage on my account and that I wouldn't be charged. They did not request the photos.

When we returned the books at the end of the semester, I included a print-out of my email exchange with Amazon. One was processed immediately (no charge for damage). The second one took a LONG time to process but eventually went through (no charge for damage).

• Like 1

Just to let everyone know what happened - I ended up contacting them through chat.  They gave me a discount off the rental and said I could tape up the cover and they'd put a note in that they wouldn't consider that 'damaged' and charge me for the book.  So, that's a good outcome. :)

hopefully you took a picture of that chat session or have them email you

we have a saying at work:

"verbal instructions are only as good as the paper they are written on"

hopefully you took a picture of that chat session or have them email you

we have a saying at work:

"verbal instructions are only as good as the paper they are written on"

Oh, yes. I have a full written transcript in my email. One reason I decided to use chat rather than call... And actually I also got a follow-up email from a supervisor confirming/summarizing the exchange. So fairly happy with how it turned out.

ETA: When you close a customer service chat, there's a check box to have a transcript sent to your email. I had also asked to have the rep send the transcript, but it turns out it's easy to do yourself.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

From the Amazong website:

"During the first 30 days of the rental period, you may return the textbook through our Return Center, subject to our standard Product Return Policies.

Acceptable rental condition means:

No water damage (wavy, swollen or discolored, crinkled, stains, rings)
No broken spine or binding
Cover is not torn or taped
No missing, torn, or loose pages
No burns, fire, or smoke damage
No strong odor of any kind (including musty odor, cigar or cigarette odor)
No excessive writing or highlighting
If you're not satisfied with the book you receive, you can return it for a refund within 30 days of receipt. For more information, go to Return a Textbook Rental.

To return a textbook after the first 30 days of the rental period:

Go to Your Textbook Rentals .
Select the textbook you wish to return and then select Return book to print the pre-paid return shipping label.
Print out the packaging slip and return shipping label.
Package up the textbook you wish to return, including the packaging slip.
Note: You can return multiple textbooks per package. To avoid incorrect fees, only rentals listed on the same packing slip should be returned together.

Apply the return shipping label and take the shipment to the carrier listed on your return label. Return shipping is free when you use the provided shipping label."

Edited by daijobu