Menu

If you tutor, hire a tutor, or have tutored, what do you charge?

Janeway

I used to tutor but stopped a few years ago when I got pregnant with youngest. Now it has been almost three years so I thought for extra income, I would return to tutoring, but through a tutoring company. Now at this point, I already interviewed and she is hiring me and I am supposed to go in later today for paperwork and such. I was caught off guard when she started talking pay. She offered me a pay below what I was paid over three years ago working a similar job. I did not know what to say so I stupidly said fine. I know, that was a big mistake. But then when I looked up to see what she charges her customers, I would be being paid 15% of what she charges the students, as the tutoring is done in groups, and assuming she does not add more kids to the groups than what she told me the sizes would be.  Then I looked up what the place I used to work charges and I was being paid more like 35% of what they charge. I do not want to return to the other place because it was very short hours and a long drive which includes toll roads, resulting in me using up a lot of my wages on transportation.

Now I am curious what most people earn as a tutor?

I worked for a service which provided the location where I tutored, did all the scheduling, and took care of all the billing. I started off getting $25/hour, but ended up at $30/hour at the end of that year. They charged $85/hour at the time. I still can't believe that people can afford to pay that kind of rate. I had students that saw me for an hour every single week throughout the entire schoolyear.  

It was worth it to me to work through the service because they took care of getting me the clients and they provided the location. They tried to get my students scheduled back-to-back. When I drove out there (just 15 minute drive), I usually had 2-4 students scheduled back to back. I also got paid if the client didn't show and if they came late, I still got paid for the full time. 

going rate will vary according to subject and location.

dd tutored during her year off between her undergrad and grad school. (about  seven years ago.)  she was paid by a tutoring agency about $20 (so they charged more.)   she continued with one student on her own, and charged slightly more.  she could have gotten more - but she wasn't interested.

• Like 1

My experience is that tutoring pay varies widely depending upon the tutor's experience and your location.

We live in a rather low income area.  My husband who has a PhD in Chemistry has been tutoring math (through pre-Calculus) and the physical sciences for about fifteen years.  His fee is currently $20.00 per hour.  He also charges $10.00 for cancellations with less than two hours notice. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

A local mom paid me $40/hour to tutor her son in math.  This is what she suggested, I never did any research into what the going rate in the area was.  I am not a teacher by trade and don't have any specialized math knowledge - she just knew my kids did well in math and she liked my old school curriculum better than the "new math" her son's school was introducing.

I pay $60/hour for a very good English teacher to come and tutor my oldest in literature and writing.  This is her going rate and I didn't look into other options to price shop so I have no idea whether this is normal, high, or low.

FWIW, I live in Florida in a midrange cost of living area.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 1

When you work for another business, instead of privately, you will normally make significantly less than what they charge. The pro is you don't have to find clients, deal with money, figure out how to do the taxes as they'll give you either a 1099 or W2. The con is less money. I seriously doubt that they would offer you more as a new hire. They need to see performance before bringing you up a bit but always, their profit as a business is the bottom line.

• Like 2

Totally depends on the area and subject. Here in Northern VA, tutors make a ton more if they find their own students. Music lesson tutors can make $65 an hour, as can math tutors.

Foreign languages are hot, too--45-55 an hour.

Tutoring elementary kids in homework help, non-specialized reading skills, that sort of thing? 25-40 an hour.

Have you tried using Thumbtack and getting your own students? Check it out. I regularly get people looking for tutoring (haven't signed anyone yet). 

But then when I looked up to see what she charges her customers, I would be being paid 15% of what she charges the students, as the tutoring is done in groups, and assuming she does not add more kids to the groups than what she told me the sizes would be. Then I looked up what the place I used to work charges and I was being paid more like 35% of what they charge.

What is her refund policy for cancellation? My kids Chinese private tutor also teach for a non profit agency. She charge more for private tutoring but she also have to chase parents to pay up on time as well as pay self employment tax. She also have to deal with no show (without notice) when private tutoring and then parents harassing her for free makeup lessons.

The non profit agency has a policy of maximum 8 kids per class and minimum 2 kids to have the class. The agency also have to pay rent for the classroom. When my kids attended class there, there were 6 kids in the first semester and 4 kids in the second semester as 2 kids change to a different time slot due to soccer practice. Still we pay the same rate when the class size drop to 4.

Other places do not allow refunds unless the parent give a month notice. So the tuition center has more funds to pay tutors. Also some local tuition centers has unutilised space/rooms so their rental cost is already sunk in. For example my local mathnasium could not pay much when my neighbor first started the business. It took them more than a year to get more customers and more classes running. Now the owner could pay more as her business is established and they have classes for most of the hours the center is opened.

The highest we have paid so far is $60/hr for chinese private tutoring for both my kids together. Any higher rate and my husband would put our kids in a cheaper group class instead.

I have 3 rates, but I have very specialized skills, and I live in an affluent area.

Some clients, I see through an educational consultant.  She charges clients $125/hour for my time, pays me $85, and keeps the rest.

Some clients, I see independently.  I charge $85/hour.

Some clients, I see independently, and offer a discounted rate of $50/hour.  I do this when the child needs something where I would describe my skills as developing as opposed to well developed, and where I want to develop my skills further.

This is tutoring, but it is done in a group. IF she does not exceed the group size, the group as a whole will be paying $100/hr. I have a college degree, not certified in this state, have taught before, and had to take a test to prove my abilities. She is paying me $15/hr. Does this sound good? Or not so much?

This is tutoring, but it is done in a group. IF she does not exceed the group size, the group as a whole will be paying $100/hr. I have a college degree, not certified in this state, have taught before, and had to take a test to prove my abilities. She is paying me $15/hr. Does this sound good? Or not so much?

It sounds low to me, but I don't know the going rate in your area. What are other comparable tutors being paid?

• Like 1

It sounds low to me, but I don't know the going rate in your area. What are other comparable tutors being paid?

I only know people who tutor one on one. I also know home schoolers who have classes in their home and they earn more than this. Since this is in a business place, I was caught off guard. I am unsure what to do now. I kind of no longer want to do the job. And I am supposed to be there later this afternoon for things.

• Like 1

For teaching an Algebra I course where I did work in addition to the time I spent with the student, I charged $25/hour for contact time only.  

I paid my son's German teacher (again she was teaching a course so she had prep and grading to do) $50/hour for contact time only (though she tended to run over by about 20 minutes for each hour, so in effect she was getting about $38/hour).

What are other tutors with similar qualifications making that also work for a business, rather than doing it on their own? It doesn't work to compare with areas that are different than yours. Also remember if on your own, you are paying self-employment taxes on top of the regular taxes that normally come out of the paycheck you get when you work for someone else. And you are doing all of the quarterly tax filings, etc.

• Like 1

Generally the rule of thumb is that about 2/3 of the gross goes to overhead and 1/3 is what the provider actually makes. So if the gross is $100/hr, you should be making somewhere between $30-$35 depending on the specific overhead costs. If you're not coming close to that, I'd say you have every right to question it.

The convenience of going through a tutoring company/agency is that they take care of finding the clients, dealing with payments, setting hours, and sometimes even providing curricula or tutoring parameters.  The downside is you certainly get paid a fraction of what they take in.

I haven't tutored in this area, but I'm guessing I would make around $20/hr on my own, or $35-45 if I was using one of the programs I'm certified in (um, if my certifications are up to date.  I'd have to check that).

When I lived in NYC, I was making $50/hr for general tutoring, and $75/hr for Latin and literacy (I was working on certifications at the time).

When I moved to OK, I was making $40/hr for general tutoring, but I was also employed as a teacher at the time, which allowed me to charge a slightly higher rate.  I could still charge close to $75 for my certification areas

My guys are/were undergrad college students and signed up with Wyzant.  Middle son generally earns $48/hour with them (his rate is $60/hour).  When he's busy he raises his rate to try to get fewer clients.  That's been known to backfire and get him more though.  He's earned up to $80/hour.  (If they have reviews on there I know his are awesome as his TA reviews at college were awesome too.) He'll tutor anything from MCAT to basic Algebra or Python. Youngest son gets something more like $15/hour and tutors chess mostly. On his own he also tutors older folks about their technology for $25/hour.  He doesn't want to charge more because he feels it's gauging.  He has clients who had been paying $129/hour (according to them).

Oldest is on his own totally now - I think - and also tutors/works out technology issues.  I think his going rate is somewhere near $100/hour, but he also does this sort of stuff for a living and is incredibly experienced at it.

• Like 1

In college, a few of my friends and I worked for a professor who ran a small tutoring business. She trained us, scheduled the clients, provided the space and materials, handled payments, etc. The clients were charged $60, and I was paid $20/hour for the first year and $25/hour for the second. In grad school, I found a few students of my own and charged $40-50. 

I've paid a high school-aged "tutor" $15/hour to help my kids with their homework (I also pay our teenage babysitter $15/hour), so that sounds quite low to me. But, if this is an established company, it may not be negotiable. The tutoring company I looked into working for in grad school, before deciding to find students on my own, had a very rigid system. Clients paid $40/hour for a tutor with a bachelor's degree, and the tutor was paid $22. 

I only know people who tutor one on one. I also know home schoolers who have classes in their home and they earn more than this. Since this is in a business place, I was caught off guard. I am unsure what to do now. I kind of no longer want to do the job. And I am supposed to be there later this afternoon for things.

What did you decide to do? Did you end up taking the job or deciding against it?

Ds is getting $25..00 an hour on campus through the tutoring center. Potentially he could get $50.00 in German on his own, but he likes working through the college because he gets letters of reference from the professors, looks better on a future resume, etc.

I charge $30.00 an hour independently for algebra 1 and high school chemistry. The market here will not bear more than that since the median wage is only about $43,000.00. It has dropped three consecutive year so I really can't charge more though with this many years of experience and all the school districts' recommendations, I should be charging more.

I would think that if you work for a tutoring service you are likely to only get 25% of what is actually charged to the client.

• 2 years later...

If you are an employee this sounds about right. I’m guessing there’s room for you to advance until you’re paid 30% of what the students are charged and no more. They’ll spend 30% on taxes, insurance, and building expenses, advertising, non-teaching staff etc, and that leaves 30% profit for the business owner. 

If you’re a contractor then it’s a really bad deal  

Gosh, it is like Old Home Days in here.

And amy g posted...I was trying to remember her name last night in another thread and other people told me her name.

Around here, high school level math and science is $40-$60 per hour when paid directly to the tutor.

$15/hour sounds low...given that this thread is from late summer 2017. In Jane's case...I'd be trying babysitting for that rate! Pop into a nearby family's house, feed the kids, play some games, baths and bed...done! A lot less stress and you make your own hours.

• 6 months later...