Menu

Why can't leave fluids in blender? And how do you unscrew the base?

38carrots

You can unscrew the base by affixing it to the blender (as though you were going to blend something) and then turning.  

I can think of two reasons why leaving liquids in the base may be bad (disclaimer: this is my own reasoning here).  The first is that it is not really a liquid tight seal.  It works in the short time that you're blending, but it might fail over an extended period (that said, when I was in college, I would blend up a batch of that Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing and leave it in the base in the refrigerator for, well, a good long while  :ack2:).  The other is that possibly the metal of the blades might not be compatible with certain blended substances, though I think this is less likely than the possibility of leaking.  

• Like 3

You can unscrew the base by affixing it to the blender (as though you were going to blend something) and then turning.

I can think of two reasons why leaving liquids in the base may be bad (disclaimer: this is my own reasoning here). The first is that it is not really a liquid tight seal. It works in the short time that you're blending, but it might fail over an extended period (that said, when I was in college, I would blend up a batch of that Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing and leave it in the base in the refrigerator for, well, a good long while :ack2:). The other is that possibly the metal of the blades might not be compatible with certain blended substances, though I think this is less likely than the possibility of leaking.

I would say the gasket seal is probably susceptible to deterioration if liquids sit there.

• Like 2

I find I don't need to tighten it super-hard; a firm fit will do just fine.
It's also much easier to clean if I do it right away; leaving it with fluid in it will mean it needs a serious scrub afterwards, whereas depending what I've blended, sometimes I can fill it with water and give it a quick blend to get it nominally clean then a quick handwash and I can put it in the drying rack and be done with it.

• Like 1

I can think of two reasons why leaving liquids in the base may be bad (disclaimer: this is my own reasoning here).  The first is that it is not really a liquid tight seal.  It works in the short time that you're blending, but it might fail over an extended period (that said, when I was in college, I would blend up a batch of that Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing and leave it in the base in the refrigerator for, well, a good long while  :ack2:).  The other is that possibly the metal of the blades might not be compatible with certain blended substances, though I think this is less likely than the possibility of leaking.  

My blender wouldn't work this way. There's a notch to prevent this kind of turning.

I find I don't need to tighten it super-hard; a firm fit will do just fine.

It's also much easier to clean if I do it right away; leaving it with fluid in it will mean it needs a serious scrub afterwards, whereas depending what I've blended, sometimes I can fill it with water and give it a quick blend to get it nominally clean then a quick handwash and I can put it in the drying rack and be done with it.

My old blender I could tighten just right. This new one has a notch and I'm supposed to tighten over the notch. Which is tight. I love the blender, but I'm really sturggling with undoing the base... Only pouring hot water in it for about 20 min, and sometimes even another round of hot water, will help me unscrew. Or DH. But I blend more than he is home lol

• Like 1