Menu

Do you have a pillow that improves the quality of your sleep?

J-rap

I'm still looking for the perfect pillow!  I know it's out there.  I have the perfect mattress now, but I still find myself waking up several times each night in order to adjust my pillow.  I have very sensitive ears, and if the pillow begins rubbing against my ears wrong while I'm sleeping, they start hurting.  And I don't like when my head slowly sinks down to the mattress.  I've tried thick down pillows, My Pillow, and memory foam with neck support (too much neck support!).  

What works for you?  Maybe I'll get some ideas!

• Like 2

I am in constant search for the perfect pillow. I tend to wake up with a sore neck with the wrong one. A few months ago, I had such a severe strain I couldn't even sit up and ended up going to PT a few days later...it was horrible. 

I just bought a Sobakawa pillow at Bed Bath & Beyond. It's exactly what I needed, something small but firm for neck support. I do have a memory foam as well (Costco), which I keep behind my head though I don't really lay on it, more up against it. Anyway, I am really liking the Sobakawa so far! And it was cheap! Only $20. The beads can be a little loud as you get settled in, but I don't notice them at all the rest of the night. 

• Like 1

I am in constant search for the perfect pillow. I tend to wake up with a sore neck with the wrong one. A few months ago, I had such a severe strain I couldn't even sit up and ended up going to PT a few days later...it was horrible. 

I just bought a Sobakawa pillow at Bed Bath & Beyond. It's exactly what I needed, something small but firm for neck support. I do have a memory foam as well (Costco), which I keep behind my head though I don't really lay on it, more up against it. Anyway, I am really liking the Sobakawa so far! And it was cheap! Only $20. The beads can be a little loud as you get settled in, but I don't notice them at all the rest of the night. 

Just checking it out now...  Is it their cloud pillow?  I see they also have a buckwheat pillow.

I found my perfect pillow a couple of years ago at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's made of latex foam. I don't know if this is it, but it's at least similar. And I know Amazon has some talay latex pillows that have very good reviews. Although the caveat to that is that I've found when it comes to finding the perfect pillow reviews aren't any help, really. Over the years I've hated pillows that had many stellar reviews.

• Like 1

Still searching, but my ears perked up at something else you said, OP... you've found the perfect mattress?!

Please share!

Yes, it's a Saatva mattress.  You can only order them online, but you have a 3 month (maybe it's even 4?) money-back guarantee.  They have three comfort levels (and two different heights for both the mattress and the box spring/foundation).

https://www.saatvamattress.com

• Like 1

I have one of these. https://hullopillow.com/buckwheat-pillow/

When I first tried it, I thought it was going to be too hard, but once it shapes itself to your head and you fall asleep it's actually really comfortable. And it stays much cooler than normal pillows, which I love. And since I've been using it (several months now) I haven't woken up with a sore neck once, whereas before it was happening at least once a week.

• Like 2

Just checking it out now...  Is it their cloud pillow?  I see they also have a buckwheat pillow.

It's the standard cloud pillow...just checked the BB&B website because I tossed the box.

When I checked the pillow itself it says 100% polystyrene foam beads. Definitely not buckwheat. 

After I got it, I was reading reviews on Amazon out of curiosity....several reviews mentioned a bad odor, but mine does not have that at all. Maybe the received knock offs? Or perhaps it was the buckwheat type?

Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

I bought a Serta pillow at Kohls a few years ago that was $70 but it's amazing.  Thick but doesn't shrink down overnight.  I love my pillow.  

Dh bought something similar at a mattress store.  He too loves his pillow.  

It's heavy and I wasn't sure I would like it, but it's supportive and soft at the same time.   And doesn't go flat.  It's just the most amazing pillow ever

• Like 1

I have two different pillows. About half the time I sleep on my stomach and for that I have an old, flat pillow. I have no clue where I got it from. For sleeping on my back and side, I have a Casper pillow. It's very comfortable and seems to have the right balance of soft and firm. I suffer from chronic migraines and it's my go-to pillow when I have a headache. The only downside to it is the price.

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

I have a Tempurpedic pillow, not sure which one or if they make it anymore - it's about 2 years old and is shaped like a standard pillow. I also have a Bob-O-Pedic health pillow that is higher on one side than the other. I use the lower side. I use them both together because I like to be up higher. I use one on top for a few days and then switch. I love them both. My son has a Bob-O-Pedic mattress, which I love it. I'm thinking of getting one. The foundation is horrible, though. Every time my son rolls over I can hear it! We will be replacing that ASAP!

I'm thinking about trying this pillow: 

https://smile.amazon.com/Butterfly-Orthopedic-Ergonomic-VISCO-LOVE/dp/B014ES4WB6/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1502390290&sr=8-22&keywords=tempurpedic+pillow

Edited by dsmith
  • Like 1

I had the best night of sleep at a motel of all places because of their pillows.  My family still rants & raves about the pillows on the bed.  We even took off the pillow cases to get the brand.  Unfortunately, they are too expensive to purchase for us but they are on our Christmas wish list. :laugh:   They were called Manchester Mills Down Dream pillows.  I'm not sure if they would help long term but for the couple nights in the hotel, we slept wonderfully!

• Like 2

I now own the best pillow I have ever known.  It's called the Snuggle Pedic pillow.  It is made of a combination of shredded memory foam and shredded regular foam, inside a bamboo cover that is stretchy and soft and cooling.  The shredded memory foams mold to your head and neck, and are gentle on the ears (and it's not lumpy, like the My Pillow).  The pillow is firm enough to hold your head perfectly level when side sleeping.  It can be washed.  It can be customized at no additional charge.  I absolutely love my pillow.  I think I'll go there right now.

https://smile.amazon.com/Snuggle-Pedic-Ultra-Luxury-Combination-Adjustable-Micro-Vented/dp/B0725349FN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502431553&sr=8-1&keywords=snuggle+pedic+pillow

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 3

I used to get the sore ears too. I hate that! I use a memory foam one from Costco that also has a cooling gel on one side. Love it! I haven't had sore ears since I started using it.

That's interesting!  Maybe one with cooling gel is what I should try then...

We are going to try these pillows! I keep buying them from Target. They are so wonderful at first, but then they go flat and I wake up with pulled neck muscles and headaches. I've been looking for a good pillow forever. We tried a water pillow. I bought it from my chiropractor. It gave me headaches. And the sore ear thing. I can't even use a pillow protector (only a loose-fitting pillow case) because the taughtness a tight cover creates makes my ears go numb. A great pillow  can make a huge difference because even the cheap ones are great for a few weeks! There has to be something out there,.....

Just ordered the ones you have from Amazon, Suzanne. I really hope we like them. :)

Another sore ears person!  It's also hard for me to wear hats for too long in the winter.  

• Like 1

I now own the best pillow I have ever known.  It's called the Snuggle Pedic pillow.  It is made of a combination of shredded memory foam and shredded regular foam, inside a bamboo cover that is stretchy and soft and cooling.  The shredded memory foams mold to your head and neck, and are gentle on the ears (and it's not lumpy, like the My Pillow).  The pillow is firm enough to hold your head perfectly level when side sleeping.  It can be washed.  It can be customized at no additional charge.  I absolutely love my pillow.  I think I'll go there right now.

https://smile.amazon.com/Snuggle-Pedic-Ultra-Luxury-Combination-Adjustable-Micro-Vented/dp/B0725349FN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502431553&sr=8-1&keywords=snuggle+pedic+pillow

Looks interesting!

We are going to try these pillows! I keep buying them from Target. They are so wonderful at first, but then they go flat and I wake up with pulled neck muscles and headaches. I've been looking for a good pillow forever. We tried a water pillow. I bought it from my chiropractor. It gave me headaches. And the sore ear thing. I can't even use a pillow protector (only a loose-fitting pillow case) because the taughtness a tight cover creates makes my ears go numb. A great pillow  can make a huge difference because even the cheap ones are great for a few weeks! There has to be something out there,.....

Just ordered the ones you have from Amazon, Suzanne. I really hope we like them. :)

Let us know what you think.  I think I remember that some people reported a funny smell when they were new.  The company made it clear that you can wash them immediately without affecting the warranty.  Also, they can rebuild them to suit your needs if you need them fuller, or firmer, or whatever.  Mine worked wonderfully from the beginning, without smell or adjustment.

I love my contour pillow. Mine is just a foam one from Ikea, but I travel with it. I'm a side sleeper and this thing is a game changer. I need it. NEED.

https://www.amazon.com/PureLUX-Comfort-Memory-Positions-Technology/dp/B01H9K3U6E/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1502721822&sr=1-1&keywords=purelux+memory+foam+pillow

I got this at Costco earlier this summer after seeing it last year and thinking about it (I don't think they have it all the time, so I snapped it up when I saw it in June). It took some getting used to, but I think I like it, and I think I do sleep better with it. It is much thicker, firmer, and heavier than the squishy down pillows I've always used. I usually sleep on my side, and the squishy down turns to nothing and doesn't support my head well enough. This one does. I fall asleep with the side of my face on the lower corner. It's also very comfortable on my side, and while it feels very thick when I'm on my back (much much different than squishy down), I have to admit that I've fallen asleep on my back using it which I never did before and I've never woken with a stiff neck. It arches in where your shoulders go (ie not fully rectangular), and I think this helps make it comfortable when on your back. If you read in bed, it's nice support.

It outgasses when you first take it out of the package, and though their info says it should only take a day or two, I noticed an odor for the first week at least and didn't use it. It's fine now.

• Like 1

I will! I'm trying to be optimistic about them, but so far nothing has worked (at least not longer than two months). So, I'll let you know. They still haven't shipped! :)  These did get lots of good reviews on Amazon. I'm a little skeptical about the chunks of foam, but this is one type I haven't tried yet. Regular solid memory foam pillows are awful on my ears. The best ones are regular pillows that are firm but lofty, but they just don't stay that way for long! I'm glad they work for you!

Try the chunk of foam. They're light, hold their shape, and you can use the higher or lower side. I didn't expect much since mine was from Ikea, but it was so cheap it was worth the shot. Even after I was happy with it I assumed I'd have to replace it regularly, but this thing has held up for about 4 years now. I've become dependent. My husband, who suffers from some weird pillow blindness, will occasionally grab my pillow and I have woken him up to get it back. He acts like I'M the crazy one in that scenario! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70269839/

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just wanted to report that I got a couple pillows based on your reviews ( :)), and this is the one I love:

Plus, they give a voucher for a free bamboo pillow case.  It's a great pillow -- my head doesn't sink through, but it's still gentle on my sensitive ears.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I may have the answer for you.  I watch the 6 P.M. ET news from the USA. I have seen a lot of Infomercials for MyPillow.com  They are based in Minnesota.  Look for Discount Codes and or a  2 for 1 offer. Great money-back guarantee. You might do better than that, or, you might do worse.  How memorable are the commercials that I can remember so much of them...   :-)   You can't buy them in stores. Only via phone or their web site. Sleep well...

OT: Years ago, my wife watched a lot of Infomercials for the AB KING PRO exercise machine.  We finally bought one. After she got it and began using it, she said it was actually much better than what they claimed in the Infomercials. If you buy from MyPillow I hope you will be happy with your purchase.

I may have the answer for you.  I watch the 6 P.M. ET news from the USA. I have seen a lot of Infomercials for MyPillow.com  They are based in Minnesota.  Look for Discount Codes and or a  2 for 1 offer. Great money-back guarantee. You might do better than that, or, you might do worse.  How memorable are the commercials that I can remember so much of them...   :-)   You can't buy them in stores. Only via phone or their web site. Sleep well...

They're sold at Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond and WalMart. Probably lots of other places. Reviews by verified purchasers are mixed (which is pretty common for about any pillow).

Edited by Pawz4me

I have one of these. https://hullopillow.com/buckwheat-pillow/

When I first tried it, I thought it was going to be too hard, but once it shapes itself to your head and you fall asleep it's actually really comfortable. And it stays much cooler than normal pillows, which I love. And since I've been using it (several months now) I haven't woken up with a sore neck once, whereas before it was happening at least once a week.

I have a buckwheat pillow that is over 21 one years old and I have been looking to replace it. Thanks for the link! What size do you have? I have the travel size, but I have wondered if the standard size is just as comfortable.