Menu

Would you tutor students who use FLVS courses?

I have recently been solicited to help two 8th grade students with their FLVS courses. I'm not a huge proponent of FLVS and am approaching this quite cautiously. I've sent a list of questions to the parents to see what their specific expectations are, both from the students, and me.

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation?

I have not tutored a student taking an FLVS course specifically, but I have tutored one taking an online course where the instruction is all online.  The student was using Derek Owens' Algebra I course (which is fabulous, IMO), but he just wasn't getting it.  I was having to reteach every lesson, but because the lessons were all online, I had to sit through all of the videos in order to know what I was supposed to be teaching (I don't like just coaching kids on how to do individual homework problems because I don't think that really helps them in the long run).  It became quickly apparent that that wasn't a good use of anyone's time (or money).  So the student ended up withdrawing from the DO course, and I just taught him myself.

I guess my point here is that it can be extremely time consuming to find the information in an online course that you need in order to tutor effectively. 

• Like 2

I have not tutored a student taking an FLVS course specifically, but I have tutored one taking an online course where the instruction is all online.  The student was using Derek Owens' Algebra I course (which is fabulous, IMO), but he just wasn't getting it.  I was having to reteach every lesson, but because the lessons were all online, I had to sit through all of the videos in order to know what I was supposed to be teaching (I don't like just coaching kids on how to do individual homework problems because I don't think that really helps them in the long run).  It became quickly apparent that that wasn't a good use of anyone's time (or money).  So the student ended up withdrawing from the DO course, and I just taught him myself.

I guess my point here is that it can be extremely time consuming to find the information in an online course that you need in order to tutor effectively. 

What about the workbook? I found the workbook to contain everything he teaches in it. We have two DO courses going right now and the workbook, when it is in full, contains all the notes from the lessons in it. I have watched the lessons, but found that everything is in the workbook. Of course, we have only been at this for about a month so this could change. Did the parents not bother with the workbook?

What about the workbook? I found the workbook to contain everything he teaches in it. We have two DO courses going right now and the workbook, when it is in full, contains all the notes from the lessons in it. I have watched the lessons, but found that everything is in the workbook. Of course, we have only been at this for about a month so this could change. Did the parents not bother with the workbook?

The workbook does not have everything in it--there are blank spaces that the student is supposed to fill in, and the nuance of the instruction is in the videos.  You can't just visually scan a not filled in workbook and understand in detail what is being taught.  If my student had filled in the notes properly, I might have been able to use his copy, but not taking proper notes was part of his problem...

I thought about asking DO if he actually had a filled in copy of the workbook available as it would be helpful for tutors and parents.

• Like 1

Our state has a very similar program to FVLS, and I have done it. It's not my favorite way to tutor, definitely, but if the class is the best thing the kid can do (AKA it's assigned / required by the school), having a live tutor there has proven quite helpful. I'm currently tutoring a kid through algebra that way (not my own child).