Menu

Given these parameters, what would you charge

Chris in VA

Overnight babysitting for 3yo (she's a regular client--sweetheart) from 2:30pm-2:30pm (24 hours). It's not an "awake overnight" situation, and I may be able to take the child home with me for a few hours during the day. It is for Labor Day. 

Usually I charge her mom 14 an hour daytime  and 10 at night/evening (like if they have a datenight--I do that to support their ability to get out at night). In this area that is about median. 

Yes, I'd say, "It will be this much if we're at your house to sleep and only able to come to my house for a bit, or it will be this much if I can just taker her home and fold her into my activities." 

That is, if you prefer to do that! 

If I had to sleep at her house, I'd probably do the 14/10 split you have already. Because I hate to sleep at someone else's house.

• Like 2

It seems like a lot to charge if I kept the same hours--it'd be about $295! That seems excessive to me. 

Maybe I should ask--what would you PAY? Let's do it both ways--what would you feel comfortable paying, according to what you already pay or think a sitter should earn, AND what would you pay knowing what I charge?

It seems like a lot to charge if I kept the same hours--it'd be about $295! That seems excessive to me. 

Maybe I should ask--what would you PAY? Let's do it both ways--what would you feel comfortable paying, according to what you already pay or think a sitter should earn, AND what would you pay knowing what I charge?

Asking someone to give up a holiday and stay at their house with their child is worth a lot. I'm guessing she would be awake 14 of those 24 hours? So that is $196 regularly without counting the overnight or the fact that it's a holiday. $14/hr is high for one child around here unless the person is also working as an all around housekeeper. For straight childcare, that would be $8-10. So here, I would expect to pay around $200 for those hours not on a holiday weekend ($10/hr for awake time plus $50 for an overnight).

• Like 1

It's really not. You're not a teenager. You're an adult, that will provide excellent mature care on a holiday weekend. If you want to give them a cut, tell them $200-250, flat rate for the 24 hour period. I'd go to the higher end if you expect to have any activity or dining out expenses for the child.

• Like 2

I think we paid $200 for something like 6pm-12noon Dec 30-31 on our anniversary 2.5 years ago for the 2 kids combined. That said, if it'd been only 1 kid, it'd probably have been more than half that, since the second kid just doesn't double the hassle (for one, if you're working, you're working, whether you're dealing with one or two kids). This was at the babysitter's house, not our house, and I think she babysat other kids the morning of the 31st as well (she ran an in-home daycare). 

ETA: also, the kids had been on sleepovers at the daycare she used to work at before she started her own daycare (she'd just started her own a few months earlier), so being away from home wasn't new to them. I think that would factor in too. Whiny homesick kids would be more of a pain to babysit. We're in an average COL area.

Edited by luuknam

Does she sleep through the night?

I'd charge $14 for every hour she's awake (if that's your normal, around here it would be more) and then a flat fee, like $50 for all the hours she's asleep.

If she's a kid who is likely to wake you up in the night, then I'd charge more than $50 for those hours. 

Assuming she sleeps 12 hours (because it's an easy number) $14/hour + $50 would be $218.

I would not pay $295 for a 24 hour period for one child.  I would charge her for 12 hours.  

After initially responding, I asked my sister since she pays for a 24hr sitter about once every other month. She lives in the same general area you do. Her sitter is an adult that is around 30, so not a teen or college student. She pays her $175 plus she gives her $50 to take herself and her son out for dinner and stocks kitchen with requested breakfast and lunch foods. She does not expect any services other than being there for the kid and tidying up the messes they make in the kitchen.

Edited by QueenCat