Menu

s/o makeup, what about your hair?

elegantlion

I own a hair dryer for thawing our pipes in the winter...

My hair is past my waist, dark, and slightly wavy. I used to chop it into a bob, then let it grow for four years, then chop it again. I think I am too old to pull off a cute bob now, and anyways, I would have to *do* something with it if it were short, as the wave gives it weird flippy bits that look more like "bedhead" rather than "cute" or "trendy". So, I wear a bun with a hair stick every day. Once in a great while I will braid it, but I hate the feel of hair on my neck. So I just condition, comb, and put in a bun. Rinsing out the conditioner takes the longest, at about four minutes.

Edited by greenbeanmama

I spend about 15-20 minutes a day doing my hair.  That's blowdrying and styling it.  I have very fine, straight hair which doesn't do anything and won't hold a curl, so I rely on a good cut to give it shape and volume.  Then, I just help it get into place a bit and use a tiny bit of mousse and light hold hair spray if it needs it.  I do it every day, but like my make-up, most days are the basic routine, while some days are a little more special (so a little more time spent). 

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 1

I don't wear makeup (ever).  I don't dye my hair.  I don't blow-dry or style my hair, or use any products other than shampoo and conditioner (and occasionally vinegar). I don't get haircuts as such - I do chop it off at shoulder length about 3x/year.  I put it in a ponytail or braid if I am annoyed having it down, or it is hot.

• Like 1

I spend little time or money on my hair. I keep it long enough for a pony tail, which is functional for playing tennis all year. I shower when needed (stinky from sports). No colouring needed as I haven't any grey yet (I'm 50). I doubt I will bother colouring it though, unless there is a functional reason to do so. 

I haven't worn make-up since my wedding 20 years ago. I wear sun screen and rosacea cream and lip moisturizer.  

I mention to dh all the money I COULD be spending on hair and make-up when I spend it elsewhere. ;)

Mine is curly too. I spend longer on it in the shower than I do once I'm out. I condition, comb/detangle, and apply various other hair products while it's wet, then plop and air dry. I use a diffuser if it's really cold out but don't completely dry it or I'd be blow drying all morning.

I am lucky. I have a great hair. I just donate 10 inches last week so it is now rather short. But I have never used products on my hair. I have never spent more than 10 minutes on my hair (in high school I used hot rollers but even that was not much time as I don't count the time that the rollers were in as doing my hair since I could do other stuff like eat breakfast)  Now, my dd has curly hair, and she has to spend a lot more time and uses more products than I could even imagine. Glad she has good friends to give her advice. She can do lovely braids and pretty buns, etc... too. I can put my hair in a ponytail and that is all. 

I wash, blow dry with a round brush then flat iron everyday. I have a chin length inverted bob. It takes work, but I think it looks better than other cuts on me.

I have the same cut, but only blow dry with a round brush. I have the straightest hair ever known to mankind. It's the only cut I've found to work for my hair type. It's too flat when it's long, and way too much work to make it look decent when it's short.

Okay, my hair is a disaster. So, maybe 30 seconds, lol.

I get a nice, new cut every couple of years, but I just can't maintain it! It's stick straight, super thin, and "dishwater" blonde. A $200, 3 hour salon visit makes it somewhat decent for one afternoon. Daily fiddling is so not worth it.

I have semi-frizzy, wavy hair. I usually wash it in the morning, let it air dry, and spray it with OUAI wave spray (from Sephora - $26). It always looks like cute beach waves. The wave spray tames the frizz and works really, really well. Maybe once a month I straighten my hair for church or a night out, but I almost always use my wave spray. I fix my hair for myself mainly - I am so much more productive with make up, fixed hair, and actual clothes on (no yoga pants or sweats). That's just me though! :-)

I have been in battle with my hair my entire life. It's straight fine hair and likes to hang there limp and surly most of the time.

I have recently found a shampoo that has clay in it. I have no idea what that means, but the bottle said something about keeping the ends moisturized and the roots dry. Sign me up!

Right now, the issue I'm bothered by is that if I don't wash it every day, then I'll get a part that goes down the back of my head. I read up on it and people call it a cowlick or a swirl. Something about how the hair grows in the back, turns it into a long part waaaay down the back of my head. It looks horrid.

So, I must wash it every single day, even when I really don't feel like it. I use the clay shampoo and conditioner. Then, when it's barely towel dried, I put a bit of hair glue onto the bangs and roots. Then, I blow dry the bangs off to the side and use a straightener on them.

I never get that fun tousled look that all my curly haired friends get. On a bad hair day, I look like I have a greasy mess on my head, even if it's freshly washed.

I trim my own bangs and get the rest cut 2-3 times a year. I don't color yet as I have a single streak of grey in the front, which is kinda fun for now.

I'm really jealous of puffy, curly haired people who can get away without washing their hair for a few days. If I skip a day, it llooks just horrible and that part down the back of my head makes me look like I haven't washed it in a week.

P.S. Last week, I had washed my hair that morning and dried it and looked in the mirror....and the part was there! It was clean! It was freshly dried! So, I have to be careful when I dry it to make sure I puff the hair around the part. That was a downer of a day.

Edited by Garga

I don't wear makeup because I can't stand the feeling of it on my skin. I don't wear jewelry for the same reason.

All I do with my hair is put it up in a ponytail. I usually take it out of the ponytail for the drive home to give my scalp a chance to relax and then put it back up again when I get home. I can't stand to have my hair touch me.

I have tried going short, but if I cut my hair short, then I have to keep getting it cut every couple of weeks. Instead, I just reach behind me and whack off a couple of inches 1x/year after a shower. Every 5-6 years, I will go to a SuperCuts or Great Clips to get it cut. I always keep it long enough to go into a ponytail, but my ponytail is never more than 1 foot long.