Menu

s/o makeup, what about your hair?

elegantlion

How long do you spend on your hair? Who do you do that for? 

I was thinking the makeup issue and realized one reason I do wear some makeup is because I have crazy hair. It's super curly, longer, and turning grey. On some days, if I don't have on makeup, I might appear crazed. I rarely leave the house without some makeup on. When my makeup is done and my hair ends up doing its thing for the day, it looks less crazy, more artsy/boho. So it is a balance.

I keep my hair trimmed and well conditioned, the rest is generally out of my hands, depending upon the weather. I end up putting it up a lot now that it's long enough. 

• Like 2

I do my hair because it's the way I was raised.  You brush or comb your hair and brush your teeth before you go out.   It really does not take that long. I have naturally curly hair and my hairdresser and I  finally found a great hair cut that allows me to  wear it straight if I want to take time to do that, dry naturally over night and be okay in the morning or if I have to go out it takes about 6 minutes from wet to 90% dry with no frizz.   

I have it colored every 5 weeks. Thankfully a relative is a beautician and I get a discounted rate.  :thumbup1:

I wash it nightly. It takes me about a minute to brush it and put on a head covering (just an extra-wide headband) in the morning.

LOL.  I wear full-face makeup almost every day but my hair.....

I wash it each morning.  If I'm staying home, I brush it and let it air dry.  If I want to make an effort, I blow dry it and use a round brush to smooth it a bit.

I get a hair cut 1-2x a year.  I don't color my grays (I've never colored my hair).

Pony tail is typical daily style.

Hair is more ambiguous, I think, because for most people it really does require some attention.  Otherwise you can end up with a big tangle, bugs, cchy, covering your eyes.  There is a reason most mammals groom themselves.

I used to wear my hair quite long, though often I put it up in a ponytail to keep it out of my face.  I also coloured it for a while when I started to go grey rather young. It made me feel older than I was, and since my hair was kind of mousey already it made me looked unwashed.

More recently I started to go very grey, and it became much more difficult to cover -I needed to see a stylist which isn't cheap.  It also looked better than when it was more mixed, and I decided I might as well get used to the fact that I am in fact getting older.  

I also finally cut it a little shorter - I felt like the young women hippy hair was just making me look like I wasn't at all put together.  If I was a little more talented I might just have put it up, but I am not.  My Nana always had her hair long and up in a French twist, (and she was a blond from the time she was about 50 until she died) and she was sooooo elegant.  She used to see a lady who washed and set it for her every week though, and she didn't take it down in between much.

I think what strikes me is that hair and make-up really end up being one of those things where the social norms and expectations affect whole groups of people, no matter how much we might want to assert they are individual expressions.  When I was younger, I was probably more sympathetic to the idea that individuals could just do what they wanted as long as it didn't affect others.  In terms of women's clothing and fashion I was taught that attempts to regulate it in the past were intentionally and effectively oppressive.  I no longer think that is really possible in many cases to have that kind of individualism in social culture any more than it is in economic life.  While we do have room for individuals it is just naive to think that social customs and norms don't affect others or can be really avoided entirely.  So I am also no longer convinced that social rules that limit things like clothing or make-up were necessarily oppressive - on the contrary, sometimes they were offering a kind of freedom.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 2

I spend very little time on my hair.  I am almost 50 and no gray yet.  I wait until it's almost dry after my shower and then blow dry it the rest of the way to style it, which takes just a couple of minutes.  For something special, I will use my flat iron which takes a few extra minutes (I have wavy hair).  

I haven't gotten a haircut in six years.  I started growing my hair out to donate then, but it stopped growing at a certain point and I like this length.   

Haircut a couple times a year.

Wash every 2-3 days.

Brush daily, sometimes twice a day depending on the wind. (Takes less than a minute.)

Leave it down, put two clippies in (10 seconds), or put up in a ponytail (5 seconds).

If I put it up, it is because it is bugging me on my neck (hot or itchy). My hair is turning grey, but I have no plans to dye it.

Very little time.  I'm about 10-20% gray at the moment.  Hair is down past mid-back , very very very thick, and naturally wavy.  I wash it, brush it, then pull it back into a low ponytail wet.  Once it's dry, I can pull the ponytail out and it will be fairly unfrizzy and controlled waves, and would work for a dressy situation.  Without that ponytail, it is extremely puffy and wild.

I haven't been to a beauty parlor to get it cut in years.  I did layers myself for a while, then went all one length with bangs that I cut myself.  I'm shooting for long enough to pull into a long braid down my back.  I'm pretty much there but it will come out on the sides if I sleep with it in.

My hair is not quick or easy to do which is why I keep it simple.  Even when it's shorter, it takes a minimum of 30 minutes to dry it completely (even at the salon with the professional dryers).  Then it would need to be straightened to control it.   Not worth it to me.

I spend a couple of minutes on my hair. It's longer & I like it completely flat and straight. I do have it cut with layers so it looks less like it is just hanging. I brush it and flat iron it some days (if I sleep with my hair wet it needs ironing). Im kind of a minimalist with make-up and hair. I'd love some help with an actual style that's low maintenance but more than what I do. I'm 46 this month and my hair is just kinda ...meh.

I probably spend less than 30 seconds a day thinking about my hair...

I get it cut when it gives me the shits. I run it through with my fingers and tie it up out of my face, I brush it and wash it when I feel like it.

You all probably think I'm gross and feral now! I just don't care much at all. I am neat and clean and can do professional well enough. Sometimes dressing up pretty is fun but it's not a daily thing at all to me.

I probably care most about my clothes - in terms of appearance. I do like what I like, and while I would like to say it's pure expression, I know that I like what I like in part because of the image it represents that I want people to associate me with. Gosh that was a bad sentence, sorry, too tired.

I recently got a wash and go pixie style. I use the hair dryer on it just to dry my bangs so they'll drop down a little rounded. While DH loved my long hair, he doesn't care how I style it so I really got it cut for me. It's a silvery grey and when I got all the heavy hair cut off, the color lightened because the grey was under the long hair. I like my grey. It's pretty. And I didn't participate in the make up thread because I don't wear any. I like my natural look. Blonde lashes and all.

I had hair down to my mid back that I usually cut myself and washed and air dried. Since I have very thick hair and it was so long it would take hours. Blow drying it not only took longer than I was ever interested in doing, it also made my hair look somewhat frizzy. I always preferred the way it looked once it finally air dried several hours later.

I got it all cut off in a pixie cut on Sunday. Now I still only wash and towel dry, but I'll usually go back and add in a little product about fifteen minutes later when it dries just a bit more so it looks a little more piece-y. I could easily skip that step and it would still look good.

My hair is fairly short and grows super fast, so I HAVE to get it cut every three weeks or it gets out of control. I usually take a shower in the early evening. I wash it every other day and usually it has time to air dry before I go to bed. Sometimes I have to hit it with the blow dryer for a couple of minutes. In the mornings I spritz it down, blow dry for a minute or two and I'm ready to go. I don't do cuts that require curling irons, hot rollers or anything more than a quick blow dry and maybe a bit of hair spray.

Cut and colored professionally every 5 weeks. I have a Cruella DaVille look when I don't color. And I look older than I am when I don't color. Styling is much easier with regular hair cuts, at least with my fine but wavy hair. I'd guess I spend about 15 minutes drying and styling. That's fine for me. I don't tend to rush getting ready anyways. And I definitely do it for me. Dh would probably like the budget to have less cut and colors but he knows it's important to me. And I don't fuss about his technology cravings, for the most part. 

I was thinking the makeup issue and realized one reason I do wear some makeup is because I have crazy hair. It's super curly, longer, and turning grey. On some days, if I don't have on makeup, I might appear crazed. I rarely leave the house without some makeup on. When my makeup is done and my hair ends up doing its thing for the day, it looks less crazy, more artsy/boho. So it is a balance.

I keep my hair trimmed and well conditioned, the rest is generally out of my hands, depending upon the weather. I end up putting it up a lot now that it's long enough. 

Fellow crazy hair here.

Here is the fastest routine I have come up with for my hair. I shower at  night and go to bed with it wet.  Most times I don't even comb it out because I am so exhausted.  Then the next morning it might need 2 minutes of blow drying and then I can straighten it in 12 minutes.  When my hair is crazy I just feel so out of sorts.  

My silly husband though...before I straightened it this morning he told me how beautiful I looked and to just wear it that way.  Um, no.  Especially since I can't wear eye make up right now!

Edited to add that I try very hard to get it cut and colored every 8-10 weeks because I have a lot of grey and very dark hair so the grey really shows up.

Edited by Scarlett

About 5 seconds a day.  I just comb it.

I wash and condition it between 1x & 2x per week.  (I don't blow dry.)

Lately I've been letting my kid trim the back and I cut the front, every several months.  But about once a year I go to a haircut chain place to get it trimmed.

Edited by SKL

My hair is shoulder length, blonde, thick and super-straight (if I try to curl it, it goes back to being stick-straight within about 15 minutes  :laugh: ). 

I wash, condition, and blow dry it every other day and get it cut every six weeks.

Spring through fall, my hair is light blonde because I spend so much time outside and it lightens up from the sun. In the winter, it darkens to a medium blonde. 

Cut and colored professionally every 5 weeks. I have a Cruella DaVille look when I don't color. And I look older than I am when I don't color. Styling is much easier with regular hair cuts, at least with my fine but wavy hair. I'd guess I spend about 15 minutes drying and styling. That's fine for me. I don't tend to rush getting ready anyways. And I definitely do it for me. Dh would probably like the budget to have less cut and colors but he knows it's important to me. And I don't fuss about his technology cravings, for the most part. 

How much do you have to pay for a cut and color?  I pay $80 including tip, so I figure $40 a month since I try to get it done every 8 weeks.  When I stretch it to 12 it is just a horrible last 4 weeks.

I am loving the new beachy wave look. If I put a little bit of product in my hair and let it air dry I get beachy waves. If I put it back in a braid for a few hours, I get beachy waves. I spend no time at all on my hair and I'm pretty happy with how it looks when I go out. 

ETA - I've been donating my hair for years, but now have too much grey so I treated myself to my first ever colour. I had a balayage done which means I don't have to worry about roots or upkeep. I usually see a hairdresser once or twice a year. 

Edited by Sarah CB

Wash and condition when I shower, blow dry on week days = 5 minutes.

If it is very humid, I spend a few minutes straightening so I don't look like a poodle when I step in front of my audience.

Hair cut 3 times a year. I don't color.

I have tried "better" ie more expensive stylists and cheapo salons, and a day later, my hair looks the same no matter where I get it cut.

I give myself 15 minutes between getting up from breakfast in my pajamas and being ready to step out the door in work clothes. Shower, hair, teeth, dress. Any routines that would take longer won't get done.

Edited by regentrude

I have a super short haircut (Katy Perry's latest cut) and I go to my hair dresser every 4 weeks.  I make my next appointment before I leave.  It takes her 20 minutes to cut/wash/style. 

I wash every night/wet in the morning/apply product.  Done.  So less than 15 minutes per day.

How much do you have to pay for a cut and color?  I pay $80 including tip, so I figure $40 a month since I try to get it done every 8 weeks.  When I stretch it to 12 it is just a horrible last 4 weeks.

$125 every five weeks........... we live in somewhat high cost of living area, if you don't compare to the super high cost of living areas. It was closer to what you pay before we moved.

I have a short pixie-ish cut. It needs a trim and shaping every six weeks or so. I also color--I'm finally and decidedly a red head now!  My hair came back so different after chemo. I've always had enough hair for three people and now there's fewer strands and it's so fine. Still straight except for a few places where the gray hair is curley/wavey. Odd. 

​I color because my hair is the color of a burning charcoal briquette--lots of charcoal with some grey and white mixed in. It makes me look much older and much more tired. Since I'm in front of people all day long, I don't want them thinking I'm low old or sick. 

I wash every two or three days, condition, and let dry or blow dry. I hit it with an iron to put a little shape into it. A dab of gel and/or styling wax does the trick most days. 

Now I want to see pics of everyone - all hair and make up done.

I don't spend any time on my hair anymore.  I used to spend lot of time blow drying my very thick curly hair.  Then I ruined it and now my hair is thin and dry and I try not to mess with it if I don't have to.

I think I am getting too old for ponytails, and my AMAZING hairdresser is 400 miles away in MD, while I am in New England - I am soooo screwed :(

I have a wash as wear haircut, long layers, cut to flip up on the bottom.. Ican put loose curls in it with the curling iron and finger comb for special occasions. I keep it a mahogany color. I had no grey hair before the car accident and then bam! So I have this attitude where I can't embrace that just yet.

So I wash and let air dry unless in a hurry, then blow dry with a big round brush which really makes the bottom layers flip up nicely.

As I said in the other thread - a long time. I spend a lot of time on my hair on the days I wash it. (Once it is washed and styled, it is easy for the next few days, as long as it's not very humid or it doesn't get rained on or something.)

I do it for the same reasons as the makeup thing, and the same reasons as I choose my outfits with care. Partly for myself - it looks pretty, I enjoy seeing it in the mirror or if someone takes a picture of me - and partly for ALL other people, especially DH. Total strangers tell me my hair is pretty. It's very gratifying.

I also spend time and money having it colored in a particular two-step way. If it was *only* to cover grey, I would do it at home. If my hair was short, I would do it at home. But I do the two-step process because it looks like natural hair and not like a one-color hair dye job. Also, doing it at home with long, thick hair is difficult and takes three kits. So I pay to have it expertly done.

• Like 4

I don't spend any time on my hair anymore.  I used to spend lot of time blow drying my very thick curly hair.  Then I ruined it and now my hair is thin and dry and I try not to mess with it if I don't have to.

I think I am getting too old for ponytails, and my AMAZING hairdresser is 400 miles away in MD, while I am in New England - I am soooo screwed :(

Me too!  :)

As I said in the other thread - a long time. I spend a lot of time on my hair on the days I wash it. (Once it is washed and styled, it is easy for the next few days, as long as it's not very humid or it doesn't get rained on or something.)

I do it for the same reasons as the makeup thing, and the same reasons as I choose my outfits with care. Partly for myself - it looks pretty, I enjoy seeing it in the mirror or if someone takes a picture of me - and partly for ALL other people, especially DH. Total strangers tell me my hair is pretty. It's very gratifying.

I also spend time and money having it colored in a particular two-step way. If it was *only* to cover grey, I would do it at home. If my hair was short, I would do it at home. But I do the two-step process because it looks like natural hair and not like a one-color hair dye job. Also, doing it at home with long, thick hair is difficult and takes three kits. So I pay to have it expertly done.

I was doing my own for a while but my hair really started to feel weird.  So now I have it done and it is MUCH better.  

Total strangers tell me my hair is beautiful.  I too like to hear it.  :)  

• Like 1

I drive 100 miles one way to have mine done.  It is hard to give her up after 25 years.

• Like 1

I spend more time on my hair than my makeup, because my hair is a funny wavy/frizzy mix that goes every which way.  Sometimes if I fix it up right, I can go 2-3 days without doing anything except a quick brush.  It's a short bob style.  Generally I use a wide curling iron, not for straightening it as much as just getting it all going in one direction.  In the summer I can sometimes get away with putting a small blob of gel in it and scrunching it instead.  I only need to wash it every 4 or 5 days.

I've highlighted/colored it for many years because my hair naturally is a drab dirty blonde.  This brings it down a shade (or would I say up a shade?) so that it looks a little sunnier I guess!  

• Like 1

I wash my hair every morning. Ordinarily, I let it air-dry, but I'll blow it dry if I have to be somewhere early. Maybe 20 minutes total.

This is the most recent picture I can find online without my hair pulled back. It's almost three years old but not much has changed.  A few more grey strands but most of them are toward the back.   ETA:  I tried to get just the picture but I guess it didn't work.  Scroll down to the end of the post.

http://dottiesuniverse.blogspot.com/2015/01/christmas.html

ETA again:  Didn't there used to be a way to upload a picture directly?  I don't see that option anymore.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1

I do my hair because it's the way I was raised.  You brush or comb your hair and brush your teeth before you go out.   It really does not take that long. I have naturally curly hair and my hairdresser and I  finally found a great hair cut that allows me to  wear it straight if I want to take time to do that, dry naturally over night and be okay in the morning or if I have to go out it takes about 6 minutes from wet to 90% dry with no frizz.   

Please share this magical style.  I have long curly hair that is wild!

I spend most my life with my hair pulled back in a messy high bun.  I teach fitness classes and that style works best to keep it out of my way.  The four or five times a year my hair looks good I love it.  Sadly there seems to be no rhyme or reason to those days.  So each morning I shower, put on miracle products that guarantee beautiful frizz free curls and hope.  And each morning I have 5 hair ties on my wrist (cause I break them) to throw my hair up when it is 90% frizz.  My sister calls my hair hurricane hair.  lol!  Bright note - pony tail and messy top bun do not require time

Edited by MSNative
  • Like 1

Long enough to brush it.  BUT it's long, straight, and fine--and air dries pretty quickly (I don't even own a blow dryer).  there's not much to do with it, really.  It is either completely loose, in a ponytail, or a messy bun thing.  If I actually get it cut at a salon, I have them layer it; but being el cheapo, I tend to just trim it myself.   :D

ETA: Oh yeah coloring...I don't do that either.

Edited by CES2005

I have curly hair that exists only to please itself. It is below my shoulders, silver and black, and shrinks to half its length at over 70% humidity. I have it cut every 3 months, braid it, put it in a pony tail, or just wear a headband for the lion mane look. The best thing I can say about it is that my husband loves it.

• Like 2

This is the most recent picture I can find online without my hair pulled back. It's almost three years old but not much has changed.  A few more grey strands but most of them are toward the back.   ETA:  I tried to get just the picture but I guess it didn't work.  Scroll down to the end of the post.

http://dottiesuniverse.blogspot.com/2015/01/christmas.html

ETA again:  Didn't there used to be a way to upload a picture directly?  I don't see that option anymore.

Photos have become completely impossible for me here.

• Like 2

After three babies, my hair is finally mostly wavy instead of partially wavy and partially stick straight. So I just wash, put in mousse or something like that, and go. I have started coloring when I began going gray. That's my main hair indulgence. My hair is long, mid back, and my hair lady said she thinks they length helps "tame the beast" ;) of the thick unruliness of it. I wash every few days. I used to spend lots of time flat ironing and blow drying, so glad it decided to be wavy all over so I don't have to. It's frequently in a ponytail or something.

I used to do next to nothing for my hair.  Got a plain haircut every 3 months or so.  Shampoo/condition daily, towel dry, brush, go on my way.  I was blessed that my hair has enough body and slight wave that I could get away with that.

However, last Christmas I was given a sample box of hair products in my Christmas stocking.  Oh my, I didn't know what I was missing!!  I now have different shampoos/conditioners, various styling creams, and some hairsprays.  And I enjoy it!!! 

Haircut a couple times a year.

Wash every 2-3 days.

Brush daily, sometimes twice a day depending on the wind. (Takes less than a minute.)

Leave it down, put two clippies in (10 seconds), or put up in a ponytail (5 seconds).

If I put it up, it is because it is bugging me on my neck (hot or itchy). My hair is turning grey, but I have no plans to dye it.

This is my routine almost exactly, except I don't get my hair cut that often.

And, I only use one clip.  :)

I do not even own a hair dryer or a curling iron.

If I wash my hair more than two or three times a week it gets really, really dry.

I have used coconut oil on my hair a few times which helps with the dryness.

If I had a lot of money, my hair could look like Duchess Kate's.

• Like 1

I have longish hair and I generally just throw it up in a clip or a ponytail.  My gray comes in white/silver and not only do I love it, I earned every one of them. ;)

I wash it 3 times a week or so, blow dry the bangs and then put it up.  I love it long, but I never wear it down.

5 minutes tops.

I mostly hack off the bottom of the ponytail when it gets scraggly and also hack away at my bangs when they get so long I can't see. 

• Like 1

I have a good haircut for me right now so it takes little time. Sometimes I try to do more with it but I usually prefer a good blow out, which I do myself, over how it looks when I try to curl it. Maybe I could do better w/ more practice but it's rarely worth it.

In the past I've spent more time on my hair and enjoyed playing with it, but most days it was pulled back in clips or ponytails.

With makeup, if I fail at a technique, it's easy to wash off and restart. With my hair, I'd have to wash it or at least wet it and dry it to fix my damage and it takes longer unless I give up and hide my mistake in a ponytail. It's not as fun.