Menu

Do you ever really want to swat someone hoping they come to their senses?

creekland

The someone I have in mind might happen to be the present day leader of North Korea.  I keep getting the feeling that there's a connection missing in his brain and perhaps a good swat would help the wiring connect better to realize the "game" he's playing involves real living, feeling, people.  Millions of them.  Around our whole planet.  (sigh)

FTR  This isn't a political thread.  If there were an "easy" answer to "fix" the problem it'd have been done already.  This problem has been known for a long time (being the chip off the old block that he is).  Many leaders in various countries have optimistically come into power thinking they'd take care of it, then pause when they consider those millions of people... (sigh)

This is a "wishing we lived in more of an ideal world" thread and really hoping the real world doesn't take a bad turn anytime soon.

I remember either reading or hearing of creepy/abusive/God awful things that kids of rulers went through. I wish I could remember the source.

These were through out history, some were somewhat modern. Stories of kids watching their father have people murdered. Animal abuse. Abuse to the kids. Allowing the kids to abuse/kill people.

I wonder what he saw or was allowed/made to do when younger.

Kelly

I remember either reading or hearing of creepy/abusive/God awful things that kids of rulers went through. I wish I could remember the source.

These were through out history, some were somewhat modern. Stories of kids watching their father have people murdered. Animal abuse. Abuse to the kids. Allowing the kids to abuse/kill people.

Kelly

I agree.  Something had to have happened in his past.  There's a reason advanced countries have banned child soldiers - too much changes in their developing minds.

But now his toys are so much more powerful - and I think he sees it as just a game.

Kelly

It would be super interesting to do a psychological study on him, wouldn't it?

• Like 1

The someone I have in mind might happen to be the present day leader of North Korea.  I keep getting the feeling that there's a connection missing in his brain and perhaps a good swat would help the wiring connect better to realize the "game" he's playing involves real living, feeling, people.  Millions of them.  Around our whole planet.  (sigh)

FTR  This isn't a political thread.  If there were an "easy" answer to "fix" the problem it'd have been done already.  This problem has been known for a long time (being the chip off the old block that he is).  Many leaders in various countries have optimistically come into power thinking they'd take care of it, then pause when they consider those millions of people... (sigh)

This is a "wishing we lived in more of an ideal world" thread and really hoping the real world doesn't take a bad turn anytime soon.

But he DOES know there are real people, he kills his relatives without remorse.  

Unfortunately, I fear we will go to war with N. Korea.

• Like 1

I was like, OMG YES, but then you got serious :(

It's very easy to forget that "Americans" or "Europeans" or "Jews" or whomever are comprised of individual entities with simple lives and hopes and dreams. It's also very easy to lose touch with reality when literally everybody you know worships you and you make reality.

Scary stuff

• Like 2

I don't think he ever will, no matter how much swatting you do!  He is a psychopath.  

I suspect you're right, of course, but that doesn't negate my feeling of what I'd like to do.  I'd probably be saying "Wake up" rather loudly at the same time.  (Considering what he's already done to so many, there's more in my mind, but probably not fit for a family forum.)

I wish there were some real fix that didn't hurt innocent people.

Even without being a psychopath, I think being in that kind of position of absolute power really creates a kind of bizarro world around the person in question.

A few years ago when we hade a sex assault controversy around a pop music/culture figure, I had kind of a revelation about this.  The man was claiming that his situation was just normal and respectful and consensual, and everyone else was like ?what are you thinking? - and assumed he was fibbing to stay out of trouble.  

My dad's friend, who had been a roadie, told me that he thought the guy might well actually think that, because he had been a pop music guy since he was in his teens or early 20s.  His own experience with working for bands had been that the consensual sexual behaviour was just completely bizarre by any normal standards, but for the young guys it was their main experience at that point in life - it was what they assumed was normal.  That became their standard for comparison when people were talking about what was normal or expected in general.  

These guys that grow up in situations of absolute power - their perception of normal comes from a completely bizarre set of experiences.  They may well imagine that what others experience as normal is not all that different - maybe a difference of quantity rather than quality, because we all tend to assume that others thing, feel and experience something similar to ourselves - our own internal life is how we intuit what other's internal lives are like.

• Like 2

Does he even think of himself as a real person? He is The Supreme Leader. What else is he? What else has he ever been? 

It is all really twisted. One person's selfish desire for power and adoration many years ago leads to this. Ruination of the whole country and his own family.

• Like 2

Even without being a psychopath, I think being in that kind of position of absolute power really creates a kind of bizarro world around the person in question.

A few years ago when we hade a sex assault controversy around a pop music/culture figure, I had kind of a revelation about this.  The man was claiming that his situation was just normal and respectful and consensual, and everyone else was like ?what are you thinking? - and assumed he was fibbing to stay out of trouble.  

My dad's friend, who had been a roadie, told me that he thought the guy might well actually think that, because he had been a pop music guy since he was in his teens or early 20s.  His own experience with working for bands had been that the consensual sexual behaviour was just completely bizarre by any normal standards, but for the young guys it was their main experience at that point in life - it was what they assumed was normal.  That became their standard for comparison when people were talking about what was normal or expected in general.  

These guys that grow up in situations of absolute power - their perception of normal comes from a completely bizarre set of experiences.  They may well imagine that what others experience as normal is not all that different - maybe a difference of quantity rather than quality, because we all tend to assume that others thing, feel and experience something similar to ourselves - our own internal life is how we intuit what other's internal lives are like.

I expect this is pretty much the same things from Kings of yesteryear.  They were raised knowing they were going to be in power and drooling over it.  No one ever rebuked them or made them get along with others.  Then, when they were in power (sometimes before), if they wanted to go to war over something - anything - they did.  No questions asked from their minions even though many died.

It amazes me that it can happen with someone who was educated elsewhere though - saddens too.

I am fascinated by insane leaders.  I often wonder how it is that so many of them rise to power.  

They're ruthless and most other folks aren't.  They bully their way to the top by stepping on those who get in the way (killing if necessary) and being propelled forward by those who feel they belong there (for ancestral reasons or otherwise).

• Like 2