Menu

I DELETED my facebook account!

Tohru

Please, pat me on the back.

My children's social life will probably suffer. I fear missing out on homeschooling event invites and can't group chat with a playgroup. I'm sad those real-life relationships will be harder to maintain, but I'm glad I deleted my account, it had to be done for me and my family.

So now I need affirmation. It's a good thing I did.  

• Like 22

I deleted my a few years ago and have barely looked back. The only thing that I miss is seeing some family photos and local shopping options. For family photos I occasionally borrow my mom's account and go snooping. Last time I did I caught my sisters gossiping about me. :glare: It just served to remind me of why I'm glad to not be on there.

• Like 4

Way to go! Thanks for the reminder...I've been wanting to delete mine. How did you do it?

Facebook really buries the option. Try here

Deactivate - you can come back and log in.

Delete - everything is gone, but takes 2 weeks. If you log in within those 2 weeks, you're account is reactivated.

• Like 2

I deleted mine about five years ago. Life was a little "silent" immediately afterward, but my close friends are still close, and people do still talk via emails. I use texting more now, though.

Our social world is smaller, but the quality is higher.

ETA Whenever I was on FB, I felt lonely. It was weird. I never felt that way IRL.

Edited by Fifiruth

Good for you! I really need to spend less time on Facebook, but I don't want to delete my account because some of my IRL groups only communicate on Facebook. It really is a time suck and often makes me feel more depressed or annoyed than happy. 

Yes! Sadly a few groups we were/are part of only communicate through Facebook. That was why it was so hard to delete. Ironically, the only reason I started a FB account was to find friends for my kiddos.

Edited by Tohru

I gave mine up 2 years ago and I don't miss it. Friends take extra time out of their schedules to text or call me when there is a homeschool thing going on (I don't ask them to, they just do) so I don't usually miss those. I have found that I haven't needed FB as much as I thought I would before I dropped it. I haven't needed it at all.

Edited by importswim
  • Like 2

I deleted mine about five years ago. Life was a little "silent" immediately afterward, but my close friends are still close, and people do still talk via emails. I use texting more now, though.

Our social world is smaller, but the quality is higher.

ETA Whenever I was on FB, I felt lonely. It was weird. I never felt that way IRL.

:wub:

Thank you for this.

Who needs Facebook when you have the Hive? Seriously, you all are my peeps.

I'm sure you had good reason to delete your account! Enjoy your new free time and freedom! :thumbup1:

Ack! Show of hands. Who wastes more time in a The Hive than they ever do on Facebook? I know I'm guilty :-/

• Like 13

My FB page is a pretty happy space.  But increasingly, I want real face time, and more of my time back.  I've gone on FB "fasts" for 40 days at a time a couple of times a year, and each time I come back less and less...so maybe a couple more years of less and less will lead to not at all...and maybe sooner.   

GOOD JOB!!!!  

(PS:  I can't imagine sisters gossiping about another sister on FB.  Tacky.)

Congratulations, you may just have simplified your life a lot by doing it.

For family photos I occasionally borrow my mom's account and go snooping. Last time I did I caught my sisters gossiping about me. :glare: It just served to remind me of why I'm glad to not be on there.

I deleted my account when someone (an IL) screenshoted a post that I made where I did not include some people on purpose and sent all of the excluded people the screenshot including a wordy description of what my post had been about! My post was not about anything bad, just a status update about an achievement (extra curricular competition) for my child. I had wanted to keep some people out of the loop because they have raging jealousy issues and I did not want to provoke them with my good news. The whole incident of not being in control of my own information angered me a lot and I decided that it simply was not worth it to be on a stupid social media app, though I am well aware that it is the fault of that person rather than the app itself.

I am not on facebook and can happily tell the people in my life to send my DH all their updates!!

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

Good for you [emoji175]

I deleted mine between Nov and Jan [emoji102][emoji51]

And I lost a lot of our connections to social activities (homeschooling and church) but my two BFFs always remember to keep me informed, here's hoping you have a friend or two to keep you in the know [emoji175]

ETA: i meant to say, my life has had so much more peace than I realized I was missing, My life is so much better for it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Squiddles
  • Like 3

Welcome to the club :)

All my friends and family know that I won't know anything going on without texts so my good friends talk via text or phone. For homeschool meet ups I often text and ask someone "what and when is next event" and so forth. It is liberating. Just keep in mind that an account is never deleted. If you login it all comes back. I sometimes wish I never would have started one to begin with. I agree with the other person who said they felt lonely with Facebook. Everyone shows their lives in these perfect slices. It isn't accurate. I love the friends that can come to my house when laundry is piled in my chair to fold and they don't care. Those are the best :)

• Like 1

Texting is still an option and so is email. Those that want to stay in touch usually find a way.

Easy for me to say as I never established a FB account to begin with - dh has a family one but I never check it. Too busy with life and coming here. :lol:

• Like 2

A little trick. Set up a new account with a fake or modified name.  Then only give it to the groups you want to be part of.  You can add/delete without anyone knowing it is you.  Lock it down tight, blocking everyone/thing you want.  Only use it for what you want out of it. Don't do likes, don't encourage the beast. LOL

Or.....do you know you can reactivate your account super easy, just log in and it reactivates.  I have an empty account.  Very, very few friends and use it to only check up on people that I want to check in on.  Like the friend who is due with a baby, but I don't want to bug.  I check in, and then Delete my account again!  LOL   That way I don't get notifications and I only see what I want to see and move on. LOL I  don't accept friend requests unless I want to.  It is not a free for all, access to my life.  If peopel ask why I didn't accept, I just tell them I don't really 'do' facebook . LOL

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Neither DH nor I have ever had a Facebook account. The idea of it has always creeped us out for lots of reasons, but especially all the data mining and fake news stuff (and we're not paranoid types--we spend LOTS of time on the internet in general). I think we probably do miss out on some extended family stuff, but it's a small price to pay.

• Like 3

I think I am the only one who likes FB.  No, I don't like when certain people post stupid things, but having grown up overseas, it is an excellent way to stay in touch with everyone from my childhood.

I do have people on status hide, like my uncle, who posts all sorts of stuff that I would love to respond to, but won't, because I don't want to get into it......

But overall, I really like FB.

• Like 5

I don't have any social media except Pinterest. I definitely prefer it and somehow manage to still stay in the loop. My friends are very sweet and send me pictures and invites via text. It's all worked out fine. And if I am missing anything I'm oblivious so it's all good ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ˜Š

• Like 1

I think I am the only one who likes FB.  , who posts all sorts of stuff that I would love to respond to, but won't, because I don't want to get into it......

But overall, I really like FB.

You're not alone.

OP if you need it for groups just set up a new account with a different name. Use it only for them.