Menu

amitriptyline users...

hollyhock

My doctors are really pushing amitriptyline on me and I don't really want to take it. They say it would help for fatigue (because of better sleep at night), fibromyalgia pain, anxiety and heart palpitations. But everything I read about it is negative. Things like.. it only works on fibro pain for about 25-30% of people, it can cause weight gain that is difficult to lose, it's only good for 3 months and then you have to keep upping the dose... etc. 

At this point in my life, I just don't want to go on it. I don't feel like I *really* need it and I can cope with my conditions using other methods.

Does anyone have experience with this drug? Negative, positive, I want to hear it all. Also, please tell me what dose you took, because I think that matters.

Thanks for sharing any experiences.

The one that they use for fibromyalgia that caused a ten pound weight gain in one day was Lyrica and I couldn't function either.  Amytriptilline is a very low cost pill (I have to buy them for my cat) and you can take one and see how you feel.  It isn't like you have to take them forever.

I took it for one night to help with insomnia. I felt like hibernating for about 36 hours - and I still didn't sleep well! I am one of those people who can take NyQuil at night and feel it until about 6pm the next day (which is why I don't use the stuff). This stuff was twice as bad. I never took a second dose and when I mentioned it to my doctor, she said that people who have trouble with antihistamines often have effects like that. Personally, I think my liver is slow to clear things in general.

Edited by HoppyTheToad

No comment on the med but I thought I would share one thing that has really helped me with my sleep (even melatonin didn't help me) was the store brand Century Multi-vitamin/Mineral.  I think it is the same as Centrum.  I started it because my iron was very borderline.  A few days after I started it I slept through the night.  Then I slept through the night the next night and the next and the next.  Now I am sleeping well through the night 9 out of 10 nights whereas before I was waking up 9 out of 10 nights and then was awake for hours.

I have no clue if it would help you at all but it has helped her and is simple, cheap, and good for you anyway.

My dd took it for migraine headaches and it helped, but then tapered off.  She was never given a higher dose, though, so we gave up on it after about 8 months.  I would say she may have gained a little weight, but her mood was so great during the time she took it I am considering having her try it again if she wants.  (I think it may have helped more with tension/anxiety related headaches than migraines but I'll take it!)  No other side effects for her.

I don't recall ever having side effects. I don't recall it helping with sleep either. I think it helped with depression. I don't remember why I'm not on it anymore - I'm thinking I maybe quit it when pregnant with youngest? They never increased my dose (not that I recall what dose I was on). I know that's not super helpful, other than that it was not a negative experience. Btw, I don't get easily knocked out by meds... I currently take trazodone, and it sort of helps with sleep... but not much. There are tons of other people who swear it knocks them out. 

I'm surprised they said it would help with your heart palpitations -- I thought it was known for causing them! It has done so for me anyway, and increased QT interval on an EKG is a well known effect.

I take it for migraines, started at 25mg, and it worked very well for about nine months. Then I had to increase the dose. Three times. I'm at 100mg now. That's the max dose that my doctor said he could give me, and it hasn't been working all that well for the last few weeks.

Other than that it makes me sleep longer than before and wake up groggier, I didn't have any other side effects until I got up to 100mg. Then it caused dry mouth, constipation, and heart palpitations. I would put up with all of that if it got rid of the migraines but it only seems to work for awhile, and that "while" got shorter with every dosage increase.

• Like 1

I was on it for awhile for migraines, and as a chronic insomniac, I didn't mind the help getting to sleep! Unfortunately it raised my heart rate and I had to go off it. (Honestly, I wish it were still an option for me! ) I started at a 10mg dose, and then over time moved up to a 100mg. 100mg was too strong - I fell asleep too quickly, lol. I moved down to 75mg and stayed there for about a year.

I'm on it now for nerve pain.

Grogginess is a side effect, yes. But usually it goes away after a few weeks. 

I haven't had any weight gain, or any other issues.

I started at 25mg, and now am trying 50mg. I bumped up only because I still have nerve pain.

Also, if you're taking it for pain (rather than to help you sleep) it can take a little while to "kick in." So my doctor told me to give it 2 weeks, and now with the 50mg to give that 2 weeks, and then we'll reevaluate.

As far as I know, there's little trouble stopping it if it's not working out for you. If it wasn't for this my doctor was going to try narcotics, and I feel like this is a better option, ya know? Plus, since it is an "old" drug, as others mentioned it's cheap, and has a lot of experience behind it. 

I think it's worth giving a try.