Menu

How to study vocab

This is a bit of a silly question, and I am not sure which board to post on, so I will try here. We are using Vocabulaire en Dialogue (intermediate level) and along with other vocab programs, it contains at least a page or more of expressions listed per chapter. It's easy to listen to a dialogue and write out new words. But how do you approach when a text just gives a huge list? Do we just read and repeat in a military drill fashion, or just read over and use it to figure out excercises? Should we write out each one on an index card? I know I am asking a dumb question, but I always feel a bit ensure about how to approach those sections.

Just because there is a book that offers you vocabulary in a list, it does not mean that you need to learn vocabulary in that fashion or learn every word.

I would never flash card single words. If you or your student actually likes anki you could add the sentences in there with the target vocabulary clozed, but that sounds brutal to input with not much benefit.

At an intermediate level, anything that doesn't reappear repeatedly probably isn't worth memorizing. Only at an advanced level is it helpful to keep a list of interesting or rare words and expressions because they don't come up as often.

• Like 1

Actually the program we are using is excellent and has a lot more than just a list. So I am not looking for a change of approach. I am hoping that those with familiarity with CLE vocab program will share their experiences.

We hate Anki and couldn't make it work.

I'd get a copy of Fluent Forever. It is basically a book of how to make and use flash cards well. I'm actually going to assign it to my middle schooler as part of his foreign language class because I think knowing how to use flash cards well makes learning languages SO MUCH EASIER.

Emily

I have decided to create conversations around it and then send them to write up a topical paragraph using as much of the vocab as possible and then review their written paragraphs about two months behind the schedule. Now time will tell what retention we get.

You are a better mother than I.

I also loved Fluent Forever and STRONGLY recommend ANKI or any other SRS system.

• Like 1

You are a better mother than I.

I also loved Fluent Forever and STRONGLY recommend ANKI or any other SRS system.

I have attempted Anki twice now and failed both times. The time investment necessary to input everything into it is just too much. Do you just use other people's lists?

I have attempted Anki twice now and failed both times. The time investment necessary to input everything into it is just too much. Do you just use other people's lists?

I do 3 things. Premade decks, decks I can make quickly from information I already have (RLTL Spelling Rules, SOTW AG questions) or toss a card in real quick when he's interested in adding something like the temperature range of Mercury. That's something I never would have added but he thought it was cool and wanted it in. It's -300 to 800 degrees Fahrenheit. You're welcome. ;)

• Like 1