Menu

Teaching other people's kids via Skype alongside your own kids....

Rosie

Has anyone done this? I'm tossing around the idea of teaching a friend's kids along with my own for two subjects that would benefit from having more people to discuss with. There would be no extra prep work for me. No grading of assignments. There would be writing involved in both these classes (Writing and Rhetoric, Art of Argument), but they'd just talk about what they wrote and read it aloud to each other. One class would only be twice per week for one hour. The other four times per week (possibly less often) for a half hour.

Is there any reason this would be difficult besides possibly taking up more mental energy?

I really think it would benefit my kids to have others to toss ideas around with. It would also benefit me to not have their attitudes flaring up during those times!

I have done a ton of Skype teaching, both one-on-one and small groups.

It can be difficult to do with more than a one-on-one meeting, though I have seen it work successfully for small groups under certain parameters.

--There needs to be accountability for homework and reading somehow. Kids who come to Skype discussions under-prepared make it virtually impossible to get any energy in the discussion. I have learned the hard way that I cannot trust others to make sure their kids prepared responsibly for our Skype meeting. There must be some sort of trigger to show that everyone has done the work. In my classes students submit homework the day before by email, so that makes it obvious.

--Make sure all involved are actually comfortable talking through an electronic portal like that. Some people really stall and clam up.

--I think four times a week is a lot. This ties you to a specific "class time" and ties you to your house. It impacts your whole day, four days a week.

--It only works well if chit-chat (especially between moms) is kept to a minimum or is non-existent. The extended socializing ends up lengthening your time and taking over more of your day than desired.

--Meeting times must be set. You will go absolutely crazy constantly rescheduling for various activities. Folks tend to think Skype meetings are easier to reschedule because you are in your own home. It's not easier; it creates chaos. Hold a firm line on meeting times.

--Sometimes a concerned parent will try to give their child cues or prompts off-screen. This will absolutely kill the child's ability to talk and your ability to create group rapport. These parents are trying to help, but it works best when the child can focus exclusively on the screen and forget their physical surroundings.

--One thing that really, really helps is also having a Skype chat box open so folks can type. Sometimes you will use that to demonstrate what you mean by typing a word or phrase or whatever. Sometimes someone might like to type a question or comment if there are several people in the discussion.

--I prefer Skype over other options.

• Like 4

I have done a ton of Skype teaching, both one-on-one and small groups.

It can be difficult to do with more than a one-on-one meeting, though I have seen it work successfully for small groups under certain parameters.

--There needs to be accountability for homework and reading somehow. Kids who come to Skype discussions under-prepared make it virtually impossible to get any energy in the discussion. I have learned the hard way that I cannot trust others to make sure their kids prepared responsibly for our Skype meeting. There must be some sort of trigger to show that everyone has done the work. In my classes students submit homework the day before by email, so that makes it obvious. I don't plan on giving any homework except to work on memorizing terms with the TinyCards app, so I don't foresee this as being a problem.

--Make sure all involved are actually comfortable talking through an electronic portal like that. Some people really stall and clam up. Good point. How do I know whether or not they'll be comfortable? Wouldn't they loosen up after the first couple times?

--I think four times a week is a lot. This ties you to a specific "class time" and ties you to your house. It impacts your whole day, four days a week. True, but we run by a pretty tight schedule here and don't really leave the house spontaneously very often. And for the four days per week person, I'd let the mom know to have one or two other pick-up-and-go options (copywork?) to do for LA with her son on days when unforseen circumstances cause us to not be able to do a Skype date. ...Then again, maybe it would feel stifling, and maybe I could figure out how to do it less days per week....

--It only works well if chit-chat (especially between moms) is kept to a minimum or is non-existent. The extended socializing ends up lengthening your time and taking over more of your day than desired. Good point. Thanks.

--Meeting times must be set. You will go absolutely crazy constantly rescheduling for various activities. Folks tend to think Skype meetings are easier to reschedule because you are in your own home. It's not easier; it creates chaos. Hold a firm line on meeting times. Definitely.

--Sometimes a concerned parent will try to give their child cues or prompts off-screen. This will absolutely kill the child's ability to talk and your ability to create group rapport. These parents are trying to help, but it works best when the child can focus exclusively on the screen and forget their physical surroundings. Interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

--One thing that really, really helps is also having a Skype chat box open so folks can type. Sometimes you will use that to demonstrate what you mean by typing a word or phrase or whatever. Sometimes someone might like to type a question or comment if there are several people in the discussion. What a great idea!

--I prefer Skype over other options.

Thank you! This is excellent information!

Is there a number you wouldn't recommend going over? I'm thinking no more than 5 or 6.

Any suggestions on getting kids to open up for discussion? I haven't had experience with more than my own kids.

Thank you for helping me think through this! I don't want to get in over my head!

I heard Andrew Pudewa (IEW) talk at a homeschool conference this year. One of the things that he said that really stuck with me was this:

If you want to be more patient, kinder, and overall a better teacher? Teach SOMEBODY ELSE'S KIDS alongside your own!

Seriously, imagine...you'd have to hold yourself together pretty well. You wouldn't want someone else's kid telling their parents how Mrs. xyz lost it during math. Right? :-)

Edited by Meadowlark
  • Like 3

Great idea if the kids take it seriously.

I tutor on skype or Facetime all the time. It has been great and in alot of ways the student is more focused.

I have a question that is off topic. If I use Skype from a laptop, will the image be reversed? I may need to have a student Skype into the first math class I'm going to be teaching, and I want her to be able to read the board I work out problems on. 

• Like 1

I heard Andrew Pudewa (IEW) talk at a homeschool conference this year. One of the things that he said that really stuck with me was this:

If you want to be more patient, kinder, and overall a better teacher? Teach SOMEBODY ELSE'S KIDS alongside your own!

Seriously, imagine...you'd have to hold yourself together pretty well. You wouldn't want someone else's kid telling their parents how Mrs. xyz lost it during math. Right? :-)

Well, I would like to be more patient, kinder, and a better teacher! But you're right that I need to think about the stress level it might cause. I don't tend to "lose it" outwardly too often, but I do get anxiety inwardly pretty easily, so I need to weigh that into this decision....

I also  have an OT question.  If you are tutoring by skype and want to have your students see what you write on paper, how do you accomplish that?  Is there a certain kind of tripod I should use?  Is there a particular sort of internet camera I should use?

And even more OT... if I want to create a youtube video of my writing on paper, what sort of equipment would I need for that?  

Thanks!  

I also  have an OT question.  If you are tutoring by skype and want to have your students see what you write on paper, how do you accomplish that?  Is there a certain kind of tripod I should use?  Is there a particular sort of internet camera I should use?

And even more OT... if I want to create a youtube video of my writing on paper, what sort of equipment would I need for that?  

Thanks!  

Sometimes it works to simply hold up the paper. Use a bold marker like a sharpie for this. I try as much as possible to use the Skype chat box, though. The other thing I have done sometimes is email materials ahead of time to refer to during class or use a GoogleDocs document for both of us to work on.

My internet camera is a normal tiny camera mounted on top of my monitor. My laptop has an integrated camera.

• Like 1