Menu

Dr Hive....this is weird...what is it??

kfeusse

My daughter has this tiny raised bump on her shoulder blade.  No reddness no swelling ( but the little bump, which resembles a skin colored mosquito bite), but she says it hurts.  Not the skin, but under the skin.  And when I touch it she says it hurts.  I felt around a bit...and there is actually a lump under the skin too.  

What could that be??  Don't know if I should be concerned or not.

thanks.

Could be a chigger or something similar. It could also be a subcutaneous cyst of some type. I would keep a close eye on it and if it got bigger, changed color, moved, or became more painful I would get it checked out. I would also get it checked out if it didn't go away after a few days.

• Like 1

could be an acne cyst...she does have issues with acne on her back.  But aren't acne cysts usually red?  this is not red at all...its skin colored. I can hardly see it...but when I rub my hand over her skin I can feel the small bump on top of her skin. Its the one underneath that is more concerning to me. it's bigger than what I feel on top.

Edited by NEprairiemom

Since it is not red, I suggest taking her to a dermatologist. Or, if her pediatrician hasn't seen it, I might take her there first and get a referral.

My first thought is subcutaneous cyst; they are common on the back and can be painful to touch. Definitely a doc needs to look at it though...

• Like 1

I had something similar back in my twenties. About the size of a mosquito bite but flesh colored, not red and didn't itch.

The nurse told me it was either a cyst or an zit that hadn't fully formed yet.

She told me to keep an eye on it and come back if it bothered me. After a couple of days, I decided just to lance it myself

to see if it was an undeveloped zit. That's exactly what it was.