Menu

Weird suggestions, ads, etc, that facebook, google, etc, make about you

TravelingChris

I thought it would be fun to discuss weird suggestions that the big computers at Facebook, google, other sites make about you.  It hit me today as sometimes I get why they think I am interested in something- I click on a weird fashion posted here, I decide to investigate some medical condition I don't have but maybe one of you or yours or some other fried has, etc.  Like I am constantly getting ads to fly to New Zealand on Air New Zealand since my dd flew out on them and I went to their websites to find out baggage restrictions, etc.

But today on facebook, I got three things recommended to follow- a news personality that they could assume I like because of my political views, a house plant site which they could assume I like because of the gardening sites I follow and a lost and found pet site for WV,  I am completely baffled by that last one.  I don't live in WV.  I haven't been to WV in many years,  I am not adjacent to WV and while I am on my city lost and found pet site since I have found animals, I am still confused why that computer would think I would be interested in another state's pets.

Other weird ones I have gotten in the past are baby stuff- I have all grown children and no grand children, and all sorts of machine equipment too which while I do buy my dh woodworking stuff for Christmas isn't woodworking and seems to be for tradespeople or industrial manufacturing.  All I can think with that is that I do read Mike Rowe's posts occasionally but not because I am a tradesperson just I like his encouragement of trades.

This one isn't online, but it was weird targeted advertising nonetheless. I received a 50+ page catalog of bonsai plants and supplies. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I bought or signed up for that would have communicated that I have the time, money, and desire to futz with persnickety mini trees. 

Not hating on bonsai lovers - it's just not my thing. 

• Like 1

My lost and found pets in WV wasn't an ad- it was like a group suggestion of a group I may want to join.  Before they always made sense, This one makes no sense at all. 

And my facebook has not been loading well today so I found out that they label photos with tags like smiling people trees sun.  Almost all my photos are smiling people or person.

Today I had an ad for Nodstrom's sale, which is fine and dandy.  I had been checking out maternity jeans in the past week.

The ad was for two items simultaneously: a baby snot sucker (fine) and cr0tchle$$ panties  :svengo:

I'm REALLY not certain what I've searched lately that might have made the Ad Ninjas think the latter was an appropriate suggestion at all, let alone in conjunction with the former.

• Like 3

And foxbridge, since I am religious and also hang out here even though I no longer homeschool, I do still get homeschool ads but not really religious ads and certainly not for religious fb groups. That is really strange since I am facebook friends with a few pastors and a number of my friends post Bible verses or clips of religious songs so why not.  Maybe something else I am doing (like watching ID channel,sy fy channel and too many science channels ha ha ha) makes them think I am not religious or at least not religious in some way they think

I repeatedly get ones for weighted blankets, quilts, lap trows, etc. 

I have no idea where FB got the idea that it is something I would like because I HATE anything weighted on any part of my body. There is no way I could sleep under a weighted blanket.  I live in Alaska and we keep our house pretty cool in the winter (62 degrees) and I still only cover with a light weight quilt which is basically two layers of typical sheet material.

I would rather sleep chilly all night long than have anything weigh me down.

I thought it would be fun to discuss weird suggestions that the big computers at Facebook, google, other sites make about you. It hit me today as sometimes I get why they think I am interested in something- I click on a weird fashion posted here, I decide to investigate some medical condition I don't have but maybe one of you or yours or some other fried has, etc. Like I am constantly getting ads to fly to New Zealand on Air New Zealand since my dd flew out on them and I went to their websites to find out baggage restrictions, etc.

But today on facebook, I got three things recommended to follow- a news personality that they could assume I like because of my political views, a house plant site which they could assume I like because of the gardening sites I follow and a lost and found pet site for WV, I am completely baffled by that last one. I don't live in WV. I haven't been to WV in many years, I am not adjacent to WV and while I am on my city lost and found pet site since I have found animals, I am still confused why that computer would think I would be interested in another state's pets.

Other weird ones I have gotten in the past are baby stuff- I have all grown children and no grand children, and all sorts of machine equipment too which while I do buy my dh woodworking stuff for Christmas isn't woodworking and seems to be for tradespeople or industrial manufacturing. All I can think with that is that I do read Mike Rowe's posts occasionally but not because I am a tradesperson just I like his encouragement of trades.

I think the funniest for me was the fb ad to freeze my eggs that kept showing up when I was pregnant with my second...

I keep getting announcements on social media that Meryl Streep and Robert Redford have finally married!  I have no idea why that keeps popping up.  Very weird!

What?  I just googled that and saw that Snopes reports that as one of the most asked questions as of summer last year.]

I love hearing all the crazy suggestions out there.  Shows me the Artificial Intelligence still has a long way to go.

My dh did come up with a reason I was getting the heavy industrial ads from Amazon.  He says they must have figured out that my dd's in-laws own a big welding/machine shop and that we might want to get them stuff like that for Christmas.  Ahh-no.  When we got them something, it was a food gift basket and their dogs ate it.

What?  I just googled that and saw that Snopes reports that as one of the most asked questions as of summer last year.]

I know, that's the funny part!  It's clearly just a silly internet legend, but I don't know why it keeps popping up on my social media!