Menu

Seborrheic Keratosis

linguistmama

I have a recurring spot that I've had frozen off at the dermatologist several times now. I won't make a special appointment for it, but will have them take care of it if I'm in for another reason. Otherwise, I've had luck with the Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away Wart Remover. It sometimes takes a couple applications (I hold it on until it stings), then after a couple days it scabs up and falls off. It always returns, but that's true whether I treat it at home or have the dermo do it.

https://www.drscholls.com/products/wart-removers/freeze-away-wart-remover/

• Like 1

I had one on my nose that bothered me because it would turn red and flaky on occasion (then heal up).  It was flat, but raised.  Doctor froze it off in two treatments, then gave me a skin bleaching cream for the spot that remained.  It's been totally gone for several years now, and I'm glad I don't have it anymore.

• Like 1

I've had a lot of these--the raised ones are the most bothersome as I tend to scratch at them. Once we determined that insurance will pay for removal, I had several frozen off at my annual appointment at the dermatologist's office last year. Small raised ones came off easily. Larger ones on my back took longer to fall off and did not come off completely with 1 treatment, but enough came off that they're not raised anymore and thus aren't a scratching hazard. I did not go in for more treatments, and with my new insurance I might have to pay up to my deductible, so I may opt not too. Freezing did make them sore and tender for several days. The spots where they were removed are white now and kind of noticeable when I'm tan (dr. told me this would be the case).

• Like 1

Over the last few years I have started to get these on my torso and legs. The dermatologist says that it's hereditary and since my 74yo dad has hundreds of them, that's probably my fate as well. Oh, and they'll get darker over time. Awesome. Should be super attractive.

I've pretty much decided that I'm only going to treat any that appear on my face or lower arms. Conveniently, DH has something like 20/400 vision without his glasses, and I always wear full body swimwear at the beach or pool anyway.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 1