Menu

Oregon Coast Highway..what not to miss? Where to eat?

Heather in OK

sea lion caves

sand dunes - plan on time, and somewhere you can get a shower!

tilamook ice cream factory - my sil was just there, they're building a visitors center.  yes, they get that many.

cannon beach is a great place to play in the water.

lewis and clark national park/fort clatsop

astoria.

• Like 3

The Wayfarer in Cannon Beach has wonderful food and a terrific view.  Eat lunch, though.  Dinner is the same menu but more $$$.  Best Fish and Chips in CB is Bill's Tavern and they make wonderful beer.  

Play on the beach here.  Check the tide tables to plan your day.  Low tide is a lot more fun.  Indian Beach in Ecola State Park is fun for watching the surfers.  Tide needs to be low but coming in.  

Manzanita is a cute town; just south of CB. 

The Lewis and Clark fort is fun, as is the Fort Stevens tour.  The mouth of the Columbia River in Astoria is very interesting for birding and watching ships.  

We visited the Tillamook Air Museum - BIG BLIMPS - and enjoyed it. We'd been in Newport at the Seabird Aviary after seal watching and then meandered up to Tillamook for the museum, spent the evening in Astoria which is just gorgeous!

And you can drive a bit out of the way to McMinneville and see the Spruce Goose!

We used the Frommer's guide when we did Oregon and the restaurant recs were spot on. 

Agree with the other suggestions. So much good food and the cinnamon rolls, oh my! If you can make it down to the Rogue River jet boat tours, it's worth the effort.

Oh, I just noticed he said only take a day! You can't do the coast in a day. Plan several days, mercy. The best part of the coast is the middle and upper. The lower is less touristed because it's less, well anyways. The Rogue River is worth driving down for. We did the national park from there and the marble caverns were AMAZING and like nothing we have in the east at least that I've ever seen.

So the northern part you could do as daytrips from where you'll be and be fine. But to drive the coast it's winding and long. Long. And scenic. And you'll want to stop and gawk. You won't make time. We spent days driving it.

You know the other way cool thing is to go fly Mt. St. Helens. You can do that from Portland, and it will blow your mind. You can also drive east along the Columbia River Gorge and hike the waterfalls.

So yeah, stay an extra week. :D

Edited by OhElizabeth

The kids and I went over to the Oregon Coast for a day trip when we visited Portland two years ago.  We road the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad, then visited the Tillamook Cheese factory and the Cape Meares lighthouse, and then spent the rest of the day on the beach.  (Not sure which beach.  There was a tunnel you could hike through to another smaller beach.  It wasn't too far from the lighthouse.)

ETA:  I think it was the beach was Oceanside.

Edited by Maus