Menu

if you saw . . .

gardenmom5

someone walking their dogs onto a neighbor's property so they could defecate - would you say something?  we have a "clean up after your pet" law in our city.

we have a number of people walking up and down our street, some have dogs.   the older-teen was walking two dogs well onto the neighbors lawn (behind a hedge of arborvitea), the dogs were peeing - they were certainly squatting like they were.

Going up into the yard, not just in the bit of yard adjacent to the sidewalk? Yes, I'd probably say something, assuming I was already outside and near enough that I could easily comment to the teen along the lines of "I know dogs have to relieve themselves, and they can pull quite a bit on the leash, but it's impolite to come fully onto someone else's property for them to do so, you might want to stick to the bit of grass between the sidewalk and the road in the future. And, I assume you have waste bags to pick up any solids left behind as well, right?" 

Now, if I saw this from the window? No, I wouldn't run outside to say something, unless it was poo and on my own yard, in which case I'd take a plastic bag out, offer to hold the leash while the kid picked up, show him the outdoor trash can, and send him on his way. 

Maybe if it was a neighbor kid I knew well, I'd let him know next time I saw him (if I wasn't outside to say something right then). 

Yes.  I'd probably get a picture or video of it on my cell phone first to be able to present evidence.  Chances are, the teen just needs to be individually talked with.  Letting it happen and turning a blind eye fixes nothing.  If it were my property, I'd want to know.

It depends I guess.  It's pretty normal here for dogs to do their business on the edge of lawns as they walk up the street - the other option is on the sidewalk, which seems worse than the lawn to me.

I'm on a relatively busy road with a sidewalk, and lots of dogs walk by - as long as the owners pick up, I am happy about it.

• Like 1

If the teen was on the sidewalk/road and the dog peed in the yard at arm's length on the leash I wouldn't say anything. If the teen was on the sidewalk/road and the dog pooped at arm's length and the teen left it - I'd say something like, "It's possible you didn't know this, but the city has clean up after your pet laws. In case you don't have any bags, here is something you can use for today." And hand the teen a plastic bag or two from a store like the grocery or Target.

If the teen is venturing off public space and fully into private space - his body and the dog - then yes, I would say something regardless of pee or poop. I would say something like, "Does Mr. A know  you are on his property for Fiddo's bathroom breaks?" "Oh, if Mr. A didn't give permission, then you should probably stay on the sidewalk or road and let the dog go at the edge. I'd hate for you to get into trouble. And, oh by the way, SMILE, did you know the city has pooper scooper laws? Here are a few bags for you to use to pick up the dog's leavings."

If you say anything, try and have a non-threatening helpful tone.

• Like 3

What if she has no bags to give the teen? I'm not so nice and would tell him to pick it up now. I did yell at a teen whose extra large dog left a ginormous pile of soft doodies on our parkway. He might have been traumatized by my reaction. LOL. But he cleaned it up and apologized, too.

someone walking their dogs onto a neighbor's property so they could defecate - would you say something?  we have a "clean up after your pet" law in our city.

we have a number of people walking up and down our street, some have dogs.   the older-teen was walking two dogs well onto the neighbors lawn (behind a hedge of arborvitea), the dogs were peeing - they were certainly squatting like they were.

Generally, those laws man you need to pick up poo.  I've never heard of an implication that you should somehow pick up urine.

• Like 4

Where I live there's no strip of grass between the sidewalk and the road. I've always treated the length of wherever the leash goes while I remain on the sidewalk as the limit of where my dog can go, and I've never had any issues, even when the homeowner shows up. Of course, I clean up poop. But I think it depends on local custom as to where the dog can actually walk.

• Like 4

Generally, those laws man you need to pick up poo.  I've never heard of an implication that you should somehow pick up urine.

the dogs were going around and arround as though they were going to poo.   not always in sight.

Where I live there's no strip of grass between the sidewalk and the road. I've always treated the length of wherever the leash goes while I remain on the sidewalk as the limit of where my dog can go, and I've never had any issues, even when the homeowner shows up. Of course, I clean up poop. But I think it depends on local custom as to where the dog can actually walk.

no sidewalk, and they guy was well onto the property and behind a hedge.    there is a gravel strip between the road and the yard.

no sidewalk, and they guy was well onto the property and behind a hedge.    there is a gravel strip between the road and the yard.

Yeah, I wouldn't go onto someone's property myself, except to clean up. But unless I saw that they weren't cleaning up, I'm not sure I would stick my neck out to enforce this on someone else's behalf. Are you sure he wasn't following them to be sure to clean up after them? If it was your own lawn that would be one thing but where another person's property is concerned, I'm not sure this rises to the level where I would feel the need to get involved.

• Like 2

Whether he was scooping seems important info to me.

As far as a gravel strip - a lot of dogs just won't do their business on one.  

It seems odd if they were well into the property, but it's hard for me to picture it.  I think here the etiquette seems to be that the dog can go onto the grass to the extent of a normal leash.

I think its nice, if you can, to avoid yards, but it isn't always possible.  Our older dog now won't seem to wait at all - she poos in the crosswalk if it takes her fancy.

• Like 2

If the dogs were pooping and he didn't clean up, I might say something.

If they were peeing, unless it was far enough into the yard to be weird, I wouldn't care. I wouldn't care that the dogs were peeing, but that it's weird that someone would intrude so far into the neighbor's yard for no good reason. 

• Like 1

Huh. I'm known as kind of a dog-hater, and I write the occasional facebook rant about people not picking up after their dog, but it wouldn't occur to me to get mad about a dog peeing on my lawn. Poo, the owner might have it flung back at them. 

Edited by mellifera33

Yeah, I wouldn't go onto someone's property myself, except to clean up. But unless I saw that they weren't cleaning up, I'm not sure I would stick my neck out to enforce this on someone else's behalf. Are you sure he wasn't following them to be sure to clean up after them? If it was your own lawn that would be one thing but where another person's property is concerned, I'm not sure this rises to the level where I would feel the need to get involved.

I saw no sign of attempting to clean up.  no apparent doggie bags, bulging pockets that could have been holding them,  etc.  urine is one thing - but some neighbor's roaming animal killed some of my plants by peeing on them - so I'm pretty low tolerance even for that.

we're not in a "normal" developed neighborhood.  it's very eclectic.  we have greenbelt and city property very close by (hence the walkers who regularly cut through on our "main"  street).  it feels remarkably rural for it's location.  the "main street' side has a very deep ditch/slope along our side - we have a private road (we paved it - not the city or a developer) off it for several houses - and he had to come onto the private road to access the yard.    it looked like he had just come up from the greenbelt/trail area - where it would have been super easy for the dogs to relieve themselves without impacting anyone else's property.   it turns out - he does live near here - and his father has far more undeveloped property - good for dogs to relieve themselves - than the neighbor. 

this is a section of lawn these neighbors use frequently when having guests over.  that's one reason they planted the hedge   - so they could use it and have privacy.   again - this is not a normal neighborhood.  the hills are steep - and flat areas are scarce.

(also placed several very large boulders to keep trucks out.  yeah- that's happened too.  we have some strategically placed boulders as well.  for the same reason.  the garbage trucks are very careful now.)

I think I'm more leery after a "just sold" house up the street had someone in a landscaper truck steal shrubs in broad daylight.  no one realized they weren't supposed to be there, and they were ignored.