Menu

Does anyone here want to knit for pay?

sassenach

My mom started this project and quickly discovered that it was over her ability level. I am not nearly a fast enough knitter to get this done in a reasonable length of time (I'm more of a chunky baby blanket gal). She purchased the exact yarn featured in the link. I would love to hire out the project as a Christmas present.

If you have the skill and time to knit this, please message me with what you think a fair price would be for the labor. 

Thanks!

• Like 3

That's a pretty wrap. I'm not able to help you with the knitting, but tbh I expect it would cost hundreds to have this knit up. I recently made a lace shawl with only 77 stitches across and it took at least 30 hours--probably more, actually.

I looked at that pattern and I think that if your mom can knit and purl then she really can make this wrap. Really! Some (hopefully) helpful ideas:

- Use circular (not straight) needles that grab the yarn a little bit--not so the stitches don't move at all, but so they don't just slide right off. A slight resistance will make the knitting a little easier. When you're worried about keeping the stitches on the needle, you tend to knit more tightly and your hands get all cramped up. And tighter stitches make yarn overs passing stitches over a little harder to work.

- Print each row of instruction on a separate card so it's easier to focus on the row you're on; sometimes a larger font helps too. Then when the row is complete, make a tick mark to keep track and flip to the next one.

- After a couple rows are done, place a removable stitch marker on the right side of the work so you know at a glance if you should be on an even/right side or odd/wrong side row.

- Watch youtube tutorials as needed to see how yarn-overs and passing stitches over are done. Watch more than once. Then watch while you do that stitch. Then watch again the next time you do the stitch. Eventually you'll be able to do the stitch on your own.

- Go slowly! It might take longer than expected but you'll gain confidence and your skill will increase. I recently made a crocheted lace wrap. I can do basic crochet and these stitches weren't new to me, but I had a really difficult time putting it all together with the added challenge of using lace weight yarn. About halfway through I was ready to give up, because I kept messing up and having to go back and redo things, and each row took so long! I let the project sit for about a month. When I finally picked it up again, something clicked and I was able to work the pattern without nearly as much difficulty as I'd had in the beginning. I still made some mistakes but I was quicker to catch them. And the rest of the wrap went a little bit faster with a lot less frustration. And now I have a silk wrap that I made myself.

Good luck to you and your mom!

edited to correct wrong info

Edited by Cinder
  • Like 5

In addition to the tips above, use a row counter. you click it after each row so you always know exactly where you are. the pattern is not difficult. It's repetetive and simple. The biggest problem is losing count and having to start over, or messing up the pattern.

Silk is slippery, as mentioned, so wood circs are best.

Hiring out knitting is not inexpensive. Especially not a project of this size. But you might ask at your local yarn store.