Menu

Yoga people!

MEmama

Can you suggest types of yoga classes that focus more on physical activity than breathing?

I've tried various yoga classes over the years and have yet to find one I connect with in any way. But...I'm sure there's one there that won't bore me to death or make me fall asleep and will actually give me the workout I'm looking for. I CAN'T do classes that are all about breath or "ohm" or "namaste" or any of that. I AM looking for deep stretching, getting up a good sweat, challenging my body and helping with realigning some tight places. I know some of that is teacher specific, but some types seem to focus more on the "spiritual" and quiet side rather than the active side.

Any suggestions on what I can be on the lookout for would be appreciated.

don't neglect the breathing.   it's more important than you think

if you want a real physical workout - try power yoga.

I do yoga from dvds (you can also do online).  I can choose my exact practice - and do so when it works for me.

eta; there was a guy who used to lift weights that got into yoga.  he doesn't lift weights - and is more ripped than when he did.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

don't neglect the breathing. it's more important than you think

if you want a real physical workout - try power yoga.

I do yoga from dvds (you can also do online). I can choose my exact practice - and do so when it works for me.

eta; there was a guy who used to lift weights that got into yoga. he doesn't lift weights - and is more ripped than when he did.

Yeah, I get the using your breath to attain certain deep poses and so on. I just can't do the whole "listen to your breath and honour how your body feels" stuff. I get it; it's just not for me. Makes me anxious and puts me to sleep. Lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get the using your breath to attain certain deep poses and so on. I just can't do the whole "listen to your breath and honour how your body feels" stuff. I get it; it's just not for me. Makes me anxious and puts me to sleep. Lol.

I think the breathing reminders are always going to be there no matter what type of yoga you do, as it's fundamental to the activity (and actually everything). If you like "flow" of movements and poses, without long duration stretching avoid "Yin." 

• Like 6

"Vinyasa" or "power" yoga are keywords you can look for.  

Yep, classes with those names should be faster paced. Ashtanga can be pretty vigorous too.  Yin, relaxed, and gentle is probably not what you want. Also, if you have it in your area Buti Yoga is a specific brand that is fast paced. Of course, it will vary greatly depending on the teacher and the day. 

* I would add that it can be a challenge to focus on alignment when doing a fast paced class, ideally you need a mix of faster flow and slower stretches.

Also, the slowing down and breathing is the hardest part for most of us. Honor your body is not voodoo or anything. I say something similar to my students as a cue that they should listen to their own body and not just the cues I give. If anything hurts or doesn't feel right don't do it. I think that it good advice for any exercise class. 

• Like 6

I did a yin class - and it was ALL about relaxation . . . . . b o r i n g .  (my vinyasa and power practices have a short relaxation segment at the end.  and it feels good . . . . )

position within the pose matters to get the most out of it without injuring yourself.    barbara benagh can get some tough poses - she doesn't do a true flow practice, but it is still work.  she has a power yoga dvd.

I really like ashley turner. 

when you're contorting yourself in a deep twist, or holding a difficult position where your muscles are screaming for release (not something I've encountered in what little yin i've done) - focusing on breathing helps to keep me relaxed so I can properly hold the position.

eta: it's funny the poses that are "relaxing" after you've been doing yoga for awhile . . .

as for the 'screaming for release" - there's a difference in a pose that taxes the muscle vs a pose that strains the muscle.   you don't want to strain - that can lead to injuries.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I highly recommend a private yoga teacher. I used to not get anything out of yoga. Then my health tanked and I needed help. Tried a private yoga teacher and finally understood what it was all about and what I was supposed to be doing. There are plenty of ways to exercise, but yoga was never intended to be "a great workout." It was intended to help you balance yourself physically and emotionally, to focus inward and connect with your own body and spirit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you want an athletic, sweaty yoga practice, then you might like Bikram yoga, which is a 90 minute practice held in a 105F room with 40% humidity. There are two breathing exercises, but one is at the very beginning of the practice like a warm up, and one is at the end like a cool down. There are no "ohms," the focus is completely on the physical practice. It's very challenging, and you will get very strong.

Power yoga, ashtanga yoga, and vinyasa yoga can also be extremely challenging. Some vinyasa classes are held in a 95F room, and let me tell you, doing 20 sun salutations with chathuranga will get your arms and shoulders very strong.

Most yoga studios have several different types of yoga classes. You might go in and ask which type would best meet your description. Some studios and/or teachers are more about the spiritual yoga journey and some are about the workout.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 2

I highly recommend a private yoga teacher. I used to not get anything out of yoga. Then my health tanked and I needed help. Tried a private yoga teacher and finally understood what it was all about and what I was supposed to be doing. There are plenty of ways to exercise, but yoga was never intended to be "a great workout." It was intended to help you balance yourself physically and emotionally, to focus inward and connect with your own body and spirit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I just want the great workout. :). I know it can be--my search is on! Lol

Are you interested in any yoga dvds? I can recommend a few that are quite challenging.

I'm open to trying one, but I think I'd like to get some classes in first with an instructor who explains it all thoroughly so I'm certain I'm doing the moves correctly. Often in various classes (not just yoga) I'm left wondering where I'm supposed to feeling the stretch or move, how I can make it deeper or more intense, and so on. Having that base might make me feel more comfortable before trying it in my living room (although I already do some light yoga at home). Also, I'm finding I kind of like taking classes. :)

I'd love a title or two though, thanks!

• Like 1

My favourites are an oldie but goodie Bryan Kest Power Yoga. Yes, he rambles a bit, but the practices are very good classic power yoga.

I also like Travis Elliott's yoga dvds, especially Ultimate Yogi.

There are also some very good yoga practices on youtube, just search for " power yoga" or iyengar yoga."

Oh, here's a practice from Travis Elliott/Ultimate Yogi: Yoga Cross Training:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E1BZZfpVE-E

Bryan Kest's Power Yoga is also on youtube.

Tara Stiles also has some good yoga practices on youtube.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

Vinyasa Flow is for me what you describe, and each instructor brings something different.  I'm a sweaty mess by the time we are done. I did take a foundations class first, which was eight weeks of learning poses.

Our yoga studio does the equinox celebrations of 108 sun salutations, working to make your way through that is an experience.  :lol: 

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

I like to mix up my yoga, one day is more of a power class and the next a little restorative. I have been doing yoga for approximately 215 days straight and I now can see the benefit of focusing on the breath. I primarily do the Yoga with Adriene videos on YouTube. She is awesome but there are other good yoga instructors out there as well.

Good luck and Namaste!

• Like 1