Menu

Well, he saw the surgeon. It is more damaged than the ER doc thought.

FaithManor

Sorry.  Your DH should write down ALL of his medical history and information about any medicines he has taken recently, so he can discuss his history properly with the Anesthesiologist, before the surgery. Good luck to him and the doctors and nurses and everyone who helps him!

• Like 1

Sorry. Your DH should write down ALL of his medical history and information about any medicines he has taken recently, so he can discuss his history properly with the Anesthesiologist, before the surgery. Good luck to him and the doctors and nurses and everyone who helps him!

Already in the system. The surgeon's assistant went over it while we were there.

• Like 2

Already in the system. The surgeon's assistant went over it while we were there.

When one is having surgery, the Anesthesiologist is a CRITICAL part of the mix.  Your DH should discuss his medical history, and any medicines he uses or has used recently, DIRECTLY with the Anesthesiologist, BEFORE the surgery.  The health systems here in Colombia normally REQUIRE that the patient has an in-office visit with the Anesthesiologist, before surgery.  Not something for 3rd parties to handle for your DH...  

When one is having surgery, the Anesthesiologist is a CRITICAL part of the mix.  Your DH should discuss his medical history, and any medicines he uses or has used recently, DIRECTLY with the Anesthesiologist, BEFORE the surgery.  The health systems here in Colombia normally REQUIRE that the patient has an in-office visit with the Anesthesiologist, before surgery.  Not something for 3rd parties to handle for your DH...  

When I've had surgery this is done literally right before the surgery and only takes a few minutes... then it's more confirming what is already known than, "ok, this is new."  It was the same for my mom and my FIL.  Systems around here do seem to rely on assistants.  I don't see anything unusual going on for the US.

• Like 9

When I've had surgery this is done literally right before the surgery and only takes a few minutes... then it's more confirming what is already known than, "ok, this is new."  It was the same for my mom and my FIL.  Systems around here do seem to rely on assistants.  I don't see anything unusual going on for the US.

Yes, sadly, I am thinking back to the last surgery I had in the USA. That was in 1987.  I checked into the hospital the night before and expected the Anesthesiologist to come to visit me for a few minutes, so we could have that discussion. I did not sleep that night. He never came...  I would not let them prep me for surgery, until I was able to speak with him, directly.

Not speaking directly with the Anesthesiologist, before surgery, can be extremely dangerous.  I agree with you that seems to be normal in the USA now.   In the case of emergency surgery, obviously, one wouldn't have that opportunity, but in the case of scheduled elective surgery, the way they do it here is much safer.

I had Nose surgery (not Cosmetic) here, in the late 90's.  When my wife and I went for my appointment with the M.D. Anesthesiologist, she told us that the issue in my nose, if not corrected, could cause Cardiac problems.   Had our E.N.T. doctor told me that, I would have had the surgery several years before that...   That turned out to be the easiest surgery I have ever had, fastest recovery, with the possible exception of the LASIK surgeries.  The Nose surgery was under General Anesthesia.  

• Like 1

I understand about wanting a normal, dull life.  I have been saying that for a few years now.  My dh kept telling me that wasn't going to happen.  That as we got older, things would just get more complicated.  Sadly, he was so right.  So sorry you are dealing with this. Praying that everything goes well and a full recovery with no complications.

• Like 2

The hospital called and said as part of pre op he will be talking with the anesthesiologist.

I am weary. Just be a selfish B for the moment. I thought I was going to get a short break. Nope. Mom will have her surgery about the time dh starts physical therapy. So I am taking care of him with a smile, while just inwardly collapsing.

DH had major surgery Friday. He spoke with the anesthesiologist in the pre-op area. A few minutes afterwards the nurse anesthetist came by and pretty much covered the same information. We felt confident in that approach. It was nice knowing DH's info was fresh in their minds rather than being several days old.

Good luck to your DH, FaithManor.

• Like 8

Yes, I have talked with the anaestheologist while I was in the prep area.  He certainly went over some issues with me more comprehensively than the nurse did.  I had been unhappy that the nurse didn't seem to have any knowledge of my special circumstances and didn't seem to care.  Fortunately, the anaestheologist did not the special things I would need considering my illnesses and was caring.

• Like 1

Not speaking directly with the Anesthesiologist, before surgery, can be extremely dangerous.   

In all the cases I know, we did speak directly with the Anesthesiologist and they went over everything, but it was right before the surgery - minutes before - not an earlier appt.  The data was taken down earlier though.

The hospital called and said as part of pre op he will be talking with the anesthesiologist.

I am weary. Just be a selfish B for the moment. I thought I was going to get a short break. Nope. Mom will have her surgery about the time dh starts physical therapy. So I am taking care of him with a smile, while just inwardly collapsing.

:grouphug:  I wish I could help stop that inward collapse.  Make sure you either take some time for yourself - don't feel guilty - OR plan something you can look forward to in the near future to give your mind something to look forward to.  Both can happen.  It doesn't have to be an either/or.  The "now" could be as simple as an ice cream (or similar) treat at the end of a day.  The "look forward to" can literally be anything as long as it's something that can happen and you'd love.

It won't help anyone if your own mind can't keep some sanity.  It needs something to look forward to.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear that. I will be thinking of and praying for you and yours on Thursday.

I'm very disillusioned with the ER in our county. They've consistently missed the mark for us in the last few years to the point that I just called the ortho doc directly when I sprained my ankle. Thankfully it was during the week, and I got an appointment the next morning.

I know, Creekland. It is just that the demands do no seem to have a point of even temporary relief. Saturday afternoon the boys and I were supposed to leave for our little Cleveland trip. We were so looking forward to it. One hour before departure time, bam! Dh feels absolutely awful about it because he knows how desperately I needed the down time and was looking forward to it.

We are supposed to have our mini eclipse trip, but now he will probably have to work that Monday to make up for today because they were not planning on him taking time off today nor for surgery so they have to post phone a software release. He needs my help or eldest ds for all the typing, and he doesn't take care of himself when I am gone as in he will not remember to take his pain meds on time, will not be paying attention to wound care, etc....just working, working, working and ignoring himself.

I am trying, between now and Thursday, to find time for a foot massage from the cosmetology school. The students do a good job, and I figure that will be a few minutes of relaxation.

My sister and her husband are here from France and were planning on little road trips all over Michigan hoping we would join in on some. She is pretty upset that I am going to be tied down, and very emotional about it. I love her a lot, but she is a very emotional person who has mini meltdowns kind of regularly all of which wears on me. My hope is that our twenty year old will not have too many responsibilities on campus - he tutors in two subjecting the college, TA's for a professor, and is president of the philosophy club - due to his professor/bosses being on vacation and can take the other two boys on a couple of excursions.

I did get the casseroles out of the freezer that I had baked to take with us on the trip. At least I will not have to worry about the next two days worth of meals.

• Like 2

I am trying, between now and Thursday, to find time for a foot massage from the cosmetology school. The students do a good job, and I figure that will be a few minutes of relaxation.

My sister and her husband are here from France and were planning on little road trips all over Michigan hoping we would join in on some. She is pretty upset that I am going to be tied down, and very emotional about it. 

I did get the casseroles out of the freezer that I had baked to take with us on the trip. At least I will not have to worry about the next two days worth of meals.

I hope you get the best students for your massage!

And if your sibling is upset at having to change plans because of what happened - that's entirely her issue to deal with, not yours.  Don't hold any guilt whatsoever over that one.  Folks need to learn to be flexible because medical issues happen to us all at some point or another.  To help my mind deal with some of the changes that must happen I tell myself it could easily be protecting me from an accident or something had we gone with Plan A.  Yes, I know it's not statistically likely, but it still helps my mind to look at any possible pro.

Glad you have the meals.

And hopefully some sort of perfect weekend is coming up in Sept - an off season - and still gorgeous if trees are turning.  If recovery takes longer than that, then it's time to start planning something for this winter or next spring.  I had to wait a year for one of my "rewards."  When that time came, it was extra special.  It's always worth having something to look forward to that can happen.  I've got one planned for Feb and another for March knowing either or both might have to be cancelled with my mom's progression, but sooner or later... they will happen... or something equally as good.  My mind needs these things - esp when the here and now is all filled with unexpected and generally not pleasant "stuff."

:grouphug:

• Like 3

Is it realistic for him to be back to work that quickly? My dd had her wisdom teeth out this month, with full sedation and the follow-up pain meds, and was utterly worthless for two weeks. She doesn't even remember any of the first week, like NONE of it. They were pretty strong meds for dental pain, but this hand surgery sounds uggy too.

• Like 1

Is it realistic for him to be back to work that quickly? My dd had her wisdom teeth out this month, with full sedation and the follow-up pain meds, and was utterly worthless for two weeks. She doesn't even remember any of the first week, like NONE of it. They were pretty strong meds for dental pain, but this hand surgery sounds uggy too.

He won't have a choice. There is a huge software release coming up and he is the linchpin. It can't be put off because a division of the company is being sold, and this has to be done before that group breaks off from the main as per the sales agreement. He is in IT which is a very unforgiving profession. His co-workers were pretty upset that he was taking the day after the surgery off, and felt he should commit to taking conference calls and working from bed.

When I say back to work Monday, I mean the 13th. He will get Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only. One of his co-workers worked from her bed when recovering from an appendectomy, as in less than 24 hrs. later her boss was calling her and demanding she take conference calls.

There is no mercy in IT. It has always been like this. Dh has never worked for a company in which management was concerned with the well being of employees.

There is no mercy in IT. It has always been like this. Dh has never worked for a company in which management was concerned with the well being of employees.

And this is incredibly wrong.  Just sayin'...  :grouphug:

Hubby's clients (essentially those who pay him) have all been superb with his last minute needs for his parents and my mom.  They were when I had my issues too.  They're more like family than anything else - even those he doesn't know well have been understanding with medical issues that just can't always be pre-planned.

I can't fathom working for a company where one is just a cog in the system.  I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

• Like 1

He won't have a choice. There is a huge software release coming up and he is the linchpin. It can't be put off because a division of the company is being sold, and this has to be done before that group breaks off from the main as per the sales agreement. He is in IT which is a very unforgiving profession. His co-workers were pretty upset that he was taking the day after the surgery off, and felt he should commit to taking conference calls and working from bed.

I think his co-workers need to get over themselves! That's ridiculous!

He has not been prescribed any pain meds. He is holding his own on the large doses of Advil. But we were warned that despite the increased pain from surgery, he will not be prescribed pain meds. I guess the opioid crackdown is known on the extreme end.

We had a nice supper tonight. I thawed those casseroles, the seventeen year old foodie made steamed broccoli with a nice saucepan, and I made mashed potatoes. Dh is on the couch resting while we all watch a movie together. I am planning another nice family evening tomorrow night and Wednesday night. Wednesday night includes chocolate pie, and a walk on the beach.

• Like 3

I'm sorry! I miss whatever is going on but I'm praying your DH feels better as soon as possible so the demands of work don't slow his recovery. Love to you both :( :grouphug:

Evidently I missed something while we were on the road...  .

I'm sorry! I miss whatever is going on but I'm praying your DH feels better as soon as possible so the demands of work don't slow his recovery.

I think this is the earlier thread and bittersweet funny. Is it domestic abuse to put your husband in a straitjacket and bungee cord him to a recliner? http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/654252-is-it-domestic-abuse-to-put-your-husband-in-a-straitjacket-and-bungee-cord-him-to-a-recliner/

He is in IT which is a very unforgiving profession. His co-workers were pretty upset that he was taking the day after the surgery off, and felt he should commit to taking conference calls and working from bed.

:grouphug: It is a crazy firefighting profession at times and unforgiving. One of my former boss would only accept a doctor's letter for medical leave. He doesn't care if we come to work and spread the flu bug. He assumed we were lying about being sick.

• Like 2

He has not been prescribed any pain meds. He is holding his own on the large doses of Advil. But we were warned that despite the increased pain from surgery, he will not be prescribed pain meds. I guess the opioid crackdown is known on the extreme end.

We had a nice supper tonight. I thawed those casseroles, the seventeen year old foodie made steamed broccoli with a nice saucepan, and I made mashed potatoes. Dh is on the couch resting while we all watch a movie together. I am planning another nice family evening tomorrow night and Wednesday night. Wednesday night includes chocolate pie, and a walk on the beach.

You may want to check on the Advil with the surgeon. Where I work, we have patients hold all NSAID's for 1 week to decrease the risk of bleeding. Some surgeons may be okay with this, but in general, we hold them. Tylenol (I know, not as effective for swelling) is fine. 

• Like 1

Best wishes for the surgery and everything else you have going on in your life!  

I too wonder about the Advil ahead of time.  My dh was recently pulled off of any blood-thinning meds (and even supplements like fish oil) a week before his surgery, but maybe it depends on what kind of surgery it is.

• Like 1