• some highschool
    • completed highshool
    • GED or equivalent
    • some college
    • finished an undergraduate degree
    • started or completed post graduate work - like med school
    • completed a trades program
    • homeschooled for all of my education - nothing formal
    • other - let me know if I forgot something obvious. I'll add it.
    • started or completed a masters
    • started or completed a doctorate

I know when we were looking at moving to WA state eons ago (I went to college there) I was told I could do private counseling with my degree. The other 2 states I have lived in don't allow that, unless I go back to school and get my clinical counseling license.

Interesting about your school psych shortage.

I just went to 2 days of training for the new district I just got a job in, and they said they do have a teacher shortage. No surprise there, I think most of the country is heading that way.....

I am licensed in clinical mental health counseling. Is your degree in school counseling? I didn't know there was a route to private practice from school based counseling degrees here. Getting licensed post masters and internship is brutal here. In California they let you count internship hours toward licensure but not in WA. You start from ground zero with hours in post graduate work. They are sticklers.

What made me laugh was when I began my clinical masters work I came in having been a neurobiologist. They made me take the intro to neuropsychology. I was like "are you serious?" They then switched me to a TA 4 weeks in. When doing my Ed.S I had to redo many classes I had done for my clinical M.S. That piece of education is broken. There really needs to be a better way to transition or get certified in other areas without reinventing the wheel.

Ok...I suppose this is all off topic. I just love how educated homeschoolers are! Very cool thread!

Audiology is my "wish I had more time I would be a..." passion. I just didn't even know this career existed until my daughter was born with hearing loss. Their job just looks so fun! Here in Washington State though, depending upon where you work, Audiologists and School Psychs make comparable salaries.

I don't have the patience to be an audiologist. I had to do a certain number of hours of audiology observation as part of my bachelor's in Communicative Disorders and found them horribly dull. I was also talking to my daughter's audiologist one time about my CSD bachelor's and it turns out the classes I hated she loved and the classes I loved she hated. So even though audiologists make a bit higher salary than speech & language pathology, I know that it's not the right field for me.

I am licensed in clinical mental health counseling. Is your degree in school counseling? I didn't know there was a route to private practice from school based counseling degrees here. Getting licensed post masters and internship is brutal here. In California they let you count internship hours toward licensure but not in WA. You start from ground zero with hours in post graduate work. They are sticklers.

What made me laugh was when I began my clinical masters work I came in having been a neurobiologist. They made me take the intro to neuropsychology. I was like "are you serious?" They then switched me to a TA 4 weeks in. When doing my Ed.S I had to redo many classes I had done for my clinical M.S. That piece of education is broken. There really needs to be a better way to transition or get certified in other areas without reinventing the wheel.

Ok...I suppose this is all off topic. I just love how educated homeschoolers are! Very cool thread!

Yes, my MA is in School Counseling.  Interestingly enough, there were several MFTs in my program who said they were fed up with private practice, I am not sure if it was just my geographical area or what.  

Schools here in NC are now hiring mental health professionals and social workers in many of the schools, in addition to school counselors.  I wish I had more clinical/mental health training and experience.

The WA thing was about 28 years ago, so I have no idea what rules are now and I honestly didn't want to do any private practice, I was just told I didn't need to get a different degree to "counsel" privately, but that may be very different than what you do.

I had to get 450 hours of internship/fieldwork to get my school counseling license.  Interestingly enough, I started out during my off-track time working with a friend.  She went on leave for 8 weeks to help her ailing mother, and asked me to fill in.  I ended up getting paid for those 8 weeks and that was just enough to finish up my hours.

I see now that you need 600 hours of internship.  I wonder how people even do that if they have jobs and can't take off.