Menu

K/1 Math: Miquon vs. Singapore

lilamom

I *think* I've narrowed it our K math options down to Miquon or Singapore. I'd really able to be able to look at both, but it looks like I'd need to buy both in order to do that.

I'm looking for a program that (a) teaches the "why" of math from the beginning and (b) is relatively easy for the teacher to use. DD (5.5) is already great at doing mental math.

I know Miquon teaches the "why" but can be intensive for the teacher and/or confusing.

The simplicity of Singapore is very appealing, but I'm not sure it teaches conceptually as well as Miquon.

Advice/experience from those who have used one or the other or both?

Lots of background to get to my point--sorry. I used RightStart, then switched to Singapore after B of RS, then back to RightStart for C because I found I preferred the conceptual and mental math in RS to Singapore. Finally, after RS C, I switched to Math in Focus, which is Singapore for schools essentially.

I found adding c-rods to my Math in Focus really helped. I loved rods for teaching fractions especially. I had purchased the First Grade Diary for Miquon and felt I needed more hand holding if I recall. But, after my experience much later, I came to love c-rods. I would probably still select RightStart if I were teaching another child, as I really appreciated the foundation, but I would consider trying Miquon and I would incorporate c-rods all along. They are a great tool.

Miquon is pretty inexpensive--it might be worth purchasing a bit and seeing what you think. The c-rods will be a great tool to add to Singapore if you do go that direction in the end.  

Edited by sbgrace

Have you watched the videos on education unboxed? They will give you the flavor of miquon. If you feel like Singapore will be easier to implement you can still use the videos to educate yourself on how to demonstrate the concept with the rods. In fact, maybe you should just start with the education unboxed videos and see how you feel after a few weeks of that. http://www.educationunboxed.com

We use Miquon, and I LOVE it!!!!! I know people say it is teacher intensive, but I just give the kids their workbook and let them figure out one page a day! Most of the time they can figure it out no problem! But if they have a question they ask me and I help them figure it out. Super easy peasy, and it makes sense to my kiddo that really was NOT getting math!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Another vote for Miquon. Plus it's cheap so it's easy to start. It really isn't very teacher intensive. The teacher's guide even says to have the child get started on their own. Countless times that I've thought DS would need help or it was too hard he's just dived in and figured it out. Last week he was doing addition and subtraction with three digits numbers which I thought he'd balk at having never done it before but he quickly figured it out. Ironically he tends to have far more meltdowns with MIF which actually goes through teaching before he does the work. You could always add in a Singapore type of math if you think she needs more. I do Miquon and MIF.

FWIW, I have *NEVER* been able to make heads or tails of Miquon. My "mathy" kid probably would've loved it but alas, I need something that totally holds my hands as teacher.

Right Start followed by Singapore has been my choice for elementary. My oldest did RS B & C (1st ed), then Singapore 3-8. My second did RS B, the subtraction part of C, then Singapore 2-6, and now Elements of Mathematics.

FWIW, I have *NEVER* been able to make heads or tails of Miquon. My "mathy" kid probably would've loved it but alas, I need something that totally holds my hands as teacher.

Right Start followed by Singapore has been my choice for elementary. My oldest did RS B & C (1st ed), then Singapore 3-8. My second did RS B, the subtraction part of C, then Singapore 2-6, and now Elements of Mathematics.

Thanks!

Did you get the Teacher Guides for Miquon or Singapore?

My DS also just did Miquon on his own for the most part. I used Education Unboxed to teach specific skills with the rods. But I also used some bits of RS and Singapore along side. If I had to pick just one for the early grades it would be Miquon because I feel like it's a stronger conceptual base than Singapore and because the Singapore mental math techniques is easy to teach without the program anyway.

• Like 1

Well, I think I'm going to just order both Miquon and Singapore, compare, and plan to return one.

For those of you who did EarlyBird Singapore, did you do just the textbook or the activity book, too?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback! :)

Well, I think I'm going to just order both Miquon and Singapore, compare, and plan to return one.

For those of you who did EarlyBird Singapore, did you do just the textbook or the activity book, too?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback! :)

It sounds to me like you should be considering Singapore Math 1A for your daughter, not Earlybird. If she is 5.5 and already doing mental math, she is likely ready for 1A (which starts at the beginning anyway). Have you looked at online samples? I've found Christianbook and Rainbow Resource often have the most pages available for viewing. Not as good as having both in your hands, but easier than having to return them. At the least you will be able to view the whole table of contents to help you decide on a level or version to order.

Anyway, I think you can't go wrong with either program, so it's just about which one works best for the two of you!