Menu

Psychology as a social studies credit in state of Florida?

FLHomeschool2000

My daughter will be applying to schools within the state university system of Florida.   Anyone know if they accept Psychology as a social studies credit on the high school transcript?  I found some schools OUTSIDE of Florida that do, but I am asking specifically about Florida. If they do not, then she needs to find another history course or 2 since she is dual enrollment and most only count as a 0.5 credit.  At present she has 2.0 credits without Psychology and 3.0 with Psychology.

Advice?  Experience with this?

Yes, psychology is counted as a social studies credit. One of my dd's transcript has 1.5 credits of social studies as psychology classes. However, three credits total of social studies is light for some of the colleges. Make sure at least one of the credits is US History.

You can always call college admissions offices to verify.

We are not in FL nor applying to FL colleges, but I had a similar problem because D, who is in a B&M high school, will not have the four years of social studies that are recommended by some colleges.

I started calling around to admissions offices before she chose her senior year classes, and the admissions reps were not surprised by the question and very helpful.

My D is not applying to very selective colleges so that may have played a part, but I found that all of them were much more flexible than I expected, at least as far as social studies go.

D will have two years of US History and AP Psych, and every college said that was fine as long as she met the requirements for graduation.

Yes, psychology is counted as a social studies credit. One of my dd's transcript has 1.5 credits of social studies as psychology classes. However, three credits total of social studies is light for some of the colleges. Make sure at least one of the credits is US History.

She has 1 credit American History with FLVS

0.5 credit American Govt Honors with FLVS

And she has EUH 1000 which apparently only counts for 0.5 credit and not a full credit per what we expected. 

She will take a DE Art History course in the spring which also only counts as a 0.5 credit on her transcript.

So she will have 2.5 credits plus the Psychology.  If I can convince her to take AMH 2020, then she will haev 3 + 1. 

The rest of her transcript will have 4.5 English, 4.0 Foreign Language, 4.0 math, 4.0 science and then she has several computer courses on her electives.

Social studies was like pulling teeth. 

You can always call college admissions offices to verify.

We are not in FL nor applying to FL colleges, but I had a similar problem because D, who is in a B&M high school, will not have the four years of social studies that are recommended by some colleges.

I started calling around to admissions offices before she chose her senior year classes, and the admissions reps were not surprised by the question and very helpful.

My D is not applying to very selective colleges so that may have played a part, but I found that all of them were much more flexible than I expected, at least as far as social studies go.

D will have two years of US History and AP Psych, and every college said that was fine as long as she met the requirements for graduation.

We have spoken directly and didn't think to ask specifically but no where did they give any clue that histories that are Dual Enrollment only count as a half credit, so we weren't worrying about whether Psychology counted. :-( .   Looks like my daughter is in a similar boat except that she took Psych directly at the colleges. For their purposes, they count and weight DE and AP the same.

It has been hard for us to meet the social studies requirements as well. Math and science are easier as most are 1 credit classes. If she doesn't want more US History, several other options will qualify as social studies: economics, state government, political science, anthropology, additional psychology, humanities.

Plus, I think Florida gives quite a bit of leeway to homeschoolers. For my first dd, I added Facets of Sustainability to her social studies column to bring her credits up to 4. None of the three Florida colleges she applied to questioned her transcript and she was accepted to all three. My second dd only applied to one Florida college (but different from her sister's three choices) and was accepted. I had to add Deaf Culture to her social studies list to bring it up to 3.5 credits. :)