Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW32: Dorothy Dunnett

Robin M

I came back to this thread to read War and Peace with you ladies, but then my mother got diagnosed with cancer.

She is 79yo, the cancer has spread all through her body with no options to treat.

I have been taking care of her (and my dad) since then. My mother stopped eating last week and barely drinks anymore.

Yesterday the doctor started (at my mother's request) sedation for part of the day and the whole night.

I don't have the time or energy to join you here on this thread, although I'm still reading W&P.

I'll be back when things calm down again.

• Like 6

I came back to this thread to read War and Peace with you ladies, but then my mother got diagnosed with cancer.

She is 79yo, the cancer has spread all through her body with no options to treat.

I have been taking care of her (and my dad) since then. My mother stopped eating last week and barely drinks anymore.

Yesterday the doctor started (at my mother's request) sedation for part of the day and the whole night.

I don't have the time or energy to join you here on this thread, although I'm still reading W&P.

Oh, Tress.  :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I am so sorry, love. 

Thanks for all the good thoughts for my mother.  A quick update ~

On my sister's suggestion, my husband and I kept to our original itinerary and enjoyed three days in Rhode Island revisiting those places we knew when we met there thirty years ago.  It was interesting to see what was the same and what had changed.

My mother spent three days in the hospital recovering from her surgery (broken hip) before moving to their rehab facility.  She was there when I arrived about ten days ago.  Yesterday we moved her to a different facility where she can continue to receive therapy. It's been a difficult time for her.  We're wondering if she will be able to return to the assisted living facility where she was living or whether another change is in the offing.  My original plan was to return home Monday, but it's possible I may stay here a while longer.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I just suspended my hold on that for a few weeks. Since you are reading it I guess it must have been on one of the lists. ;) Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I woke up feeling great but somehow while doing my routine household jobs this morning I did something to my shoulder. I've been laying flat on a heating pad for most of the day reading from my physical stack. I finished Black Out an Icelandic Mystery. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29568500-blackout It was pretty good but not enough of my favourite character from this series.

I am currently reading The Tall Stranger which someone here read recently....it's not my favourite DE Stevenson but still a nice read.

But the quilt deadline!  :laugh:  Hope you get feeling better. :grouphug:

Tress. I am so so sorry. There are no words. We can't be with you in real life but you have a whole community of BaW gals that are there with you in spirit providing whatever support we can. :grouphug: :grouphug: :crying:

• Like 11

On my sister's suggestion, my husband and I kept to our original itinerary and enjoyed three days in Rhode Island revisiting those places we knew when we met there thirty years ago.  It was interesting to see what was the same and what had changed.

My mother spent three days in the hospital recovering from her surgery (broken hip) before moving to their rehab facility.  She was there when I arrived about ten days ago.  Yesterday we moved her to a different facility where she can continue to receive therapy. It's been a difficult time for her.  We're wondering if she will be able to return to the assisted living facility where she was living or whether another change is in the offing.  My original plan was to return home Monday, but it's possible I may stay here a while longer.

Regards,

Kareni

Would your DH be able to stay longer with you or would it just be you? (Your mom's across the country from you, right?)

• Like 10

Regards,

Kareni

Dearest Tress and Kareni,

How heartbreaking for you both but I am glad that you can be with your mothers during this challenging time. Hugs to you and your families!

Jane

• Like 8

Kareni, :grouphug:

Amy, I actually finished the "big" quilt last night so now I just have 3 small ones to complete. I was doing so well!

I keep trying to read Sarum. I'm making progress but not loving it. It was a goal for this year so plan to keep going. I own a hard copy so if I don't finish before my Overdrive date I can read the little print.

• Like 9

I just suspended my hold on that for a few weeks. Since you are reading it I guess it must have been on one of the lists. ;) Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I woke up feeling great but somehow while doing my routine household jobs this morning I did something to my shoulder. I've been laying flat on a heating pad for most of the day reading from my physical stack. I finished Black Out an Icelandic Mystery. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29568500-blackout It was pretty good but not enough of my favourite character from this series.

I am currently reading The Tall Stranger which someone here read recently....it's not my favourite DE Stevenson but still a nice read.

That was me! It is a nice read :) I really want to read more of her stuff. I hope your shoulder is feeling better!

And Tress and Kareni -  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 10

Considering our hand-wringing in this week's discussion about The Warriors cat series, I should mention that, once I vented how little dd could read at 8 and how I despaired for her future once she started consuming the Warriors, in manga form, to my children's librarian aunt Patsy, Patsy of course sent us the entire series of Ursula LeGuin's CatwingsAAHHHH so much better...!

It's too bad that Catwings series is so short though.  DD the younger loves Catwings..... but she also loves the Warriors comic book series too (and I expect Warrior books to come -- she's just not quite there yet)

:grouphug: Tress and Kareni  :grouphug:   

• Like 12

Considering our hand-wringing in this week's discussion about The Warriors cat series, I should mention that, once I vented how little dd could read at 8 and how I despaired for her future once she started consuming the Warriors, in manga form, to my children's librarian aunt Patsy, Patsy of course sent us the entire series of Ursula LeGuin's CatwingsAAHHHH so much better...!

Okay, BaW aunties, any ideas what I could get my Warriors-loving dd to move on to?  Can't be Catwings, 'cause she's sixteen, not eight.  SIXTEEN.  She can drive.   :driving:

Btw, she is sooo happy that I read Warriors and is really bummed that I don't want to continue!  She's getting nostalgic about them and thinks she might want to re-read them.  I wouldn't mind that, maybe if she starts reading text again I could encourage her to read something else!  

Anything anyone can think of that she might like?  I asked her what she likes so much about Warriors, and she said "I like cats".  :glare:   But I think they have a reasonably fast pace and some suspense... I wonder if she'd like The Martian?  Stephen King (I've never even read any, but??)

• Like 10

Okay, BaW aunties, any ideas what I could get my Warriors-loving dd to move on to?  Can't be Catwings, 'cause she's sixteen, not eight.  SIXTEEN.  She can drive.   :driving:

Btw, she is sooo happy that I read Warriors and is really bummed that I don't want to continue!  She's getting nostalgic about them and thinks she might want to re-read them.  I wouldn't mind that, maybe if she starts reading text again I could encourage her to read something else!  

Anything anyone can think of that she might like?  I asked her what she likes so much about Warriors, and she said "I like cats".  :glare:   But I think they have a reasonably fast pace and some suspense... I wonder if she'd like The Martian?  Stephen King (I've never even read any, but??)

Does she like Fantasy novels normally?  Maybe Michael Scott's Nicholas Flamel series, if she likes magical type stories.  Main characters are her age and I'm enjoying the series so far.  There's also Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments as well as Charles De Lint or Mercedes Lackey. 

• Like 12

Thanks, Robin and Stacia!  I think there might be some good ones in there... she used to like fairy tales, but she hasn't done a lot of fantasy reading.  She's not into romantic storylines (I think Mortal Instruments has a bunch of that?  I only know the movie that I somehow got dragged to...).

I think I might try her on The Aeronaut's Windlass and Song of the Lioness series.  Yes, they have cats!  They also seem more adventure than romance focused?  I just also remembered the C.J. Cherryh books about a space-faring race of matriarchal cat-like aliens.  She likes sci-fi tv/movies (esp. Star Trek and Stargate), so those might also be worth a try... (and cats).  We also have the some of the Nicholas Flamel books lying around, as one of my older dds liked those, although she didn't finish the series.  Are there cats? ;)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 9

Okay, BaW aunties, any ideas what I could get my Warriors-loving dd to move on to? Can't be Catwings, 'cause she's sixteen, not eight. SIXTEEN. She can drive. :driving:

Btw, she is sooo happy that I read Warriors and is really bummed that I don't want to continue! She's getting nostalgic about them and thinks she might want to re-read them. I wouldn't mind that, maybe if she starts reading text again I could encourage her to read something else!

Anything anyone can think of that she might like? I asked her what she likes so much about Warriors, and she said "I like cats". :glare: But I think they have a reasonably fast pace and some suspense... I wonder if she'd like The Martian? Stephen King (I've never even read any, but??)

Momtotwo read recently a cat serie for adults 'cat in the library' or something like that, I noticed it on Goodreads :)

Dd moved on to fantasy currently she reads Fiona McIntosh books.

And she reads a lot of detectives, she discovered they contain much less detailed intime bedroom scenes...

• Like 9

Momtotwo read recently a cat serie for adults 'cat in the library' or something like that, I noticed it on Goodreads :)

Dd moved on to fantasy currently she reads Fiona McIntosh books.

And she reads a lot of detectives, she discovered they contain much less detailed intime bedroom scenes...

There are many cozy mysteries with cats but I doubt those are what your dd16 who likes scifi would be interested in. My dd looked at me pretty disdainfully a couple of days ago when I asked her if she had read the Cat Who book I currently have on my Kindle. No, but she doesn't need it on hers!

She liked them once upon a time. ;(

I found this flavourwire post and I think my dd has read quite a few of them.http://flavorwire.com/397030/10-great-books-starring-cats/10

I also saw this and am curious about some of the series. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/the-best-cats-in-sci-fi-fantasy/ Noticed one is a Pratchett, if your dd started liking Pratchett you would have at least a year of books! :) ;)

• Like 10

There are many cozy mysteries with cats but I doubt those are what your dd16 who likes scifi would be interested in. My dd looked at me pretty disdainfully a couple of days ago when I asked her if she had read the Cat Who book I currently have on my Kindle. No, but she doesn't need it on hers!

She liked them once upon a time. ;(

I found this flavourwire post and I think my dd has read quite a few of them.http://flavorwire.com/397030/10-great-books-starring-cats/10

I also saw this and am curious about some of the series. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/the-best-cats-in-sci-fi-fantasy/ Noticed one is a Pratchett, if your dd started liking Pratchett you would have at least a year of books! :) ;)

Matroyshkas dd is 16, mine is 14 going on 15...

Dd reads about a book per day, en prefers to read series in order...

My dd has not yet a real taste just tries to avoid everything too romance ;)

She is still working on the Bingo and read a thick Jeeves Omnibus on vacation: she thought it was fun and laughed a lot aloud... now she wants to read the whole serie :D

(And of course she wants me to read it too....)

She also liked Agnes Grey and Rebecca last year.

(But also reads still Percy Jackson e.o. Over and over again ;) )

• Like 10

I've been loving your pics of this! I was in Shakespeare & Co a couple of years ago and I don't remember this at all! It was November and cloudy outside and I remember the bookshop being really dark (and crowded). Beautiful photo Negin!

Thank you so much. I wasn't sure if I should share or not, since I don't want to get repetitive with all our pictures. This was our second time in Shakespeare & Co. I hope that you get to go again also. The first time we went, it felt crowded also. This time around, it wasn't too crowded at all. 

• Like 10

... She likes sci-fi tv/movies (esp. Star Trek and Stargate), so those might also be worth a try... (and cats).  

Since she likes Star Trek, I'd definitely recommend Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan (sorry, can't link here) which features intelligent cat like aliens.  It's one of my favorite Star Trek novels.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Would your DH be able to stay longer with you or would it just be you? (Your mom's across the country from you, right?)

You have a good memory, Amy.

We do indeed live across the country from my mother.  My husband returned home on Monday after spending a week here.  The original plan had me staying this extra week.  Time will tell if I stay or if I go (and now I'm hearing song lyrics ....).

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Ladies ~ I am sad. Help me out.

Now that I have begun my new job I haven't been able to read for pleasure. It's been almost two weeks. :( I spend most of my days in training sessions, reading manuals, handouts, and emails. If I'm not reading, I'm writing. Today, I have to read a 272 page manual and pass a test with an 80% or better. It's open book so I'm not too worried but it will be intense.

By the time I get home at night, my eyes and brain are weary and I just haven't been able to read. Neither my Kindle nor print books look appealing.

I'm hoping it gets better next week when my desk time decreases and I"ll be outside more often. I even miss my W&P characters.

• Like 12

Perhaps one of the last two books on this list?  I haven't read either, but I frequently get book suggestions from this blog.

Hugs to Tress and Kareni.

• Like 9

Ladies ~ I am sad. Help me out.

Now that I have begun my new job I haven't been able to read for pleasure. It's been almost two weeks. :( I spend most of my days in training sessions, reading manuals, handouts, and emails. If I'm not reading, I'm writing. Today, I have to read a 272 page manual and pass a test with an 80% or better. It's open book so I'm not too worried but it will be intense.

By the time I get home at night, my eyes and brain are weary and I just haven't been able to read. Neither my Kindle nor print books look appealing.

I'm hoping it gets better next week when my desk time decreases and I"ll be outside more often. I even miss my W&P characters.

This too shall pass. Training sessions will end. In the meantime, maybe try an audio book?

And remember that all of us have ebb and flow in our lives. You are still a BaWer, one of the crew.

Hang in there!

• Like 12

Regards,

Kareni

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I am glad you had that time with your dh!  ...and how lovely of your sister to encourage you to do it despite all the other stresses and pressures.

I hope your mother is able to return to her facility and that she has a smooth, speedy, complete healing.  She is so fortunate to have you and your sister there with her and for her.  ...but I imagine the emotional toll on both of you is significant.  Watching our parents age is so hard, even when there aren't crises.  :grouphug:

Matryoshka-- Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. I haven't read it, but I like Tad Williams in general. This one is about a cat.

A middle grade book that my older kids liked after they read Warriors was Kenneth Opel's Silverwing series, which is in a bat's POV.

The CJ Cherryh series is the Chanur series, I think.

ErinE -- The Girl With the Silver Eyes was one of my favorites, too! I used to lie in bed after the lights were off, trying to move things with my mind. [emoji5] Has your dd tried the Three Investigators series? I liked those too. Mildly spooky, probably not great literature, but I remembered them fondly enough that I bought the whole series for my kids when I ran across a box in a used book store.

Tress and Kareni -- sending good thoughts to shore you up in these difficult times. ☹ï¸

Happy birthday, Ethel!

I am sitting in a hotel room right now, preparing to send my second born off to her freshman year in college tomorrow. So my full report is probably going to have to wait till next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelaboord
  • Like 9

So I just started reading Women Who Read Are Dangerous, and am quite enjoying it.  I went to add it as 'currently reading' on Goodreads, and I noticed that another of the author's titles shows up in German.  Hmmm??  So, yeah, this book is translated from the German.  I have now ordered a German copy. Seems silly to read a translation when I'm having a hard time finding things written in German that I like...  :001_unsure:  It's a book I won't mind owning.  The pictures are gorgeous, and I've been liking the commentary. (it's for my Pretty Pictures bingo square). 

• Like 10

Matryoshka-- Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. I haven't read it, but I like Tad Williams in general. This one is about a cat.

A middle grade book that my older kids liked after they read Warriors was Kenneth Opel's Silverwing series, which is in a bat's POV.

The CJ Cherryh series is the Chanur series, I think.

I'm putting a bunch on hold from the library.  I've tried this kind of thing before but I'll try again.  I'm popping in the Tad Williams and the first Chanur book.  I think last time I tried this I got out some Pratchett, as she used to like Dahl and Alice in Wonderland (though I couldn't get her to read the sequel  :confused1: )  I've got a couple of those on my reading list, so I'll try and toss some of those her way again.  It's not that she didn't like them last time, I just couldn't get her to even start anything.  :glare:

ErinE -- The Girl With the Silver Eyes was one of my favorites, too! I used to lie in bed after the lights were off, trying to move things with my mind. [emoji5] Has your dd tried the Three Investigators series? I liked those too. Mildly spooky, probably not great literature, but I remembered them fondly enough that I bought the whole series for my kids when I ran across a box in a used book store.

I used to love The Three Investigators when I was a kid!  They're what I moved on to after The Happy Hollisters.  Loved those so much!  For some reason never got into Nancy Drew much...

I am sitting in a hotel room right now, preparing to send my second born off to her freshman year in college tomorrow. So my full report is probably going to have to wait till next week.

Congrats on the new college student!  So many schools start so early!  It's making me glad mine don't go back till the beginning of September...

Happy birthday to Ethel!

• Like 11

Be careful with some on that list -- for example, I just read the Saga comic books (waiting on the last out from the library) and they are NOT for a 16 yo IMO (well, i might have read them when I was 16 -- but my parents didn't care what I read) -- sex, violence - -they have it all and in graphic novel format to boot

FWiW, the On Basilik Station by David Weber also on that list -- has a young adult prequel series with the tree cats starting with A Beautiful Friendship.

• Like 9