Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW32: Dorothy Dunnett

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week 32 in our 2017 adventurous prime reading year. Greetings to all our readers and those following our progress. Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

I am currently reading Dorothy Dunnett's  historical fiction novel Niccolo Rising set in the mid 15th Century.  It is well written and is one of those hard to put down, forget what time it is, and stay up way past your bedtime reads. 

Dorothy was born August 25, 1923 and grew up in Edinburgh.  She discovered writing at the age of 38 and during her lifetime, wrote twenty two books and helped compile two companion books detailing the historical events and characters in her books.

She started writing The Game of Kings, the first book in the Lymond Chronicles, in the late 50's.  After being rejected by British publishers, she had it published in America.  Her husband, Alistair, asked Lois Dwight Cole, the American editor of Gone With the Wind if she'd read the manuscript. Immediately upon reading the book, she offered Dunnett a writing contract.

Dunnett went on to write 6 books in the Lymond Chronicles series:

The Game of Kings

QueensĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Play

The Disorderly Knights

Pawn in Frankincense

The Ringed Castle

Checkmate

Upon finishing the Lymond series, her publisher requested she write a standalone novel about a major historical figure.  She went on to write King Hereafter, the story of the real Macbeth (not Shakespeare's version) with the premise Macbeth was Thorfinn, the Earl of Orkney.

Not satisfied with writing stand alone novels, she went on to write the 8 books series called The House of Niccolo:

NiccolĂƒÂ² Rising

Spring of the Ram

Race of Scorpions

Scales of Gold

The Unicorn Hunt

To Lie with Lions

Caprice and Rondo

Gemini

Meanwhile, while writing both the Chronicles and the Niccolo series, she also wrote a detective series called the Dolly series, also known as the Johnson Johnson series which were published under her maiden name, then later republished and renamed.   The series was reprinted in 2012 and all are available on Kindle.

Dorothy died at the age of 78 on November 9th, 2001 after a short illness. The Dorothy Dunnett Society had a memorial stone created in her honor in 2006 and placed near the entrance to the Scottish Writer's Museum.  

Join me in reading one or more of Dorothy Dunnett's novels.  

War and Peace:  Read Volume two Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Part Four

Chat about what stood out for you, thoughts on storyline, setting, characters and motives as well as favorite quotes prior to this weekĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s reading.

Story of Western Science:  Chapter 27  with one more chapter to go!

What are you reading this week?

Link to Week 31

• Like 19

Huge fan of Dunnett!  Let me add to Robin's post that the two Dunnett handbooks are particularly useful for exploring literary, geographic and political rabbit holes in the Lymond and Niccolo series.  The Johnson Johnson books are completely different--very silly.

Ask an Icelander for the one book that defines the country and its people and I suspect that many would say Independent People by HalldĂƒÂ³r Laxness.  This book was on the recommended reading list for our I hiking trip to Iceland; one of our guides, a retired librarian and intrepid hiker, encouraged all to read the book.  I had not read it before the trip.  Several fellow travelers started the book but failed to finish.  Our guide said "Stick with it.  You will be rewarded." 

I know that I missed the nuance Laxness incorporates into the novel in terms of the Icelandic sagas.  That is a world of poetry that I have missed.  But the tale of a feisty but rigid sheep farmer who wishes to have no debt or dependence on anyone is certainly a tale that transcends the rugged landscape of Iceland. His relationships with his children are not to be admired.  Farmer Bjartur is not a nice or sympathetic guy. 

There are comical moments throughout the book.  We see how events outside of Iceland influence the internal economy and politics, and how those changes will eventually play down to the farm.  Fortunes rise and fall, yet the landscape of Iceland remains a challenge.

What an exquisite novel!  I look forward to reading other books by Laxness.

From one Nobel Prize winner to another.  Strolling around the library recently, The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum by Henrich BĂƒÂ¶ll, caught my eye. This is a tale of a once innocent woman whose life is ruined by the tabloid press, a novel originally published in 1974.  The subtitle, "How violence develops and where it can lead", strikes me as relevant for today.

And then there is War and Peace. I have been rather fond of Prince Andrei from the beginning--I hope that doesn't change.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 21

I read The Divine Art of Meditation - 5 Stars - If you wish to understand what the author refers to as God-centred meditation, this is a great book. Not only is it practical but also very informative. Although itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a book written by a BahaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢i, I would think it to be suitable for anyone whoĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s interested in this subject. Meditation is something that I have never thought IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d be able to do. Quite frankly, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve always been turned off by the entire idea, but while reading this book, I realized that I have in fact often practiced a short form of meditation during my prayer time without really being aware of it. Now that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m older, I am beginning to see the value in it and would like to improve in some areas. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve highlighted many parts and will be referring back to all my notes for quite a while.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

Ă¢â‚¬Å“Today, many of us seem to live our lives like honeybees collecting honey which, at the end, we will leave to others for their enjoyment! Our values are often twisted. Our success is largely measured by the size of our bank account, how beautiful or handsome we are, or how luxurious are our homes, cars or boats. Reality TV shows continue to appeal to millions of us who choose to live vicariously through others, rather than taking charge of our own lives and focusing on manifesting the hidden resources that are invested in our souls.

Women are often encouraged to seek superficial and temporary beauty, at the risk of endangering their health, even killing themselves, while men are encouraged to appreciate and chase a life of pleasure. In contrast, those whose lives are centered on spirituality are frequently ridiculed as old-fashioned or at least looked down upon. We seek surgical procedures to fight the natural aging process and enjoy Ă¢â‚¬Ëœborrowed youthĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ a bit longer, even though we know, deep in our hearts, that it is ultimately a losing battle.Ă¢â‚¬

Ă¢â‚¬Å“So, are there other paths, lifestyles or value systems to consider? Of course, there are plenty. I suggest one alternative here: a meditative life centred on God, which means to have Him in mind in our thoughts, words and deeds as much as we humanly can. And that is where Ă¢â‚¬ËœGod-centred meditationĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ comes in. Simply put, God plays the central role in my perspective on life and in my meditation philosophy and techniques. I believe that unless we connect to God through His Name and His life-giving, transformative Word found in the primary sources of the worldĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s great religions, we will not experience true, lasting joy and peace in life.Ă¢â‚¬

9780853985860.jpg

These are the lovely stairs in the Shakespeare and Company bookstore - the quote is from Hafiz. 

b554f130fdd4da6a4b58cf0665bce989.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay Ă¢â‚¬â€œ nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish Ă¢â‚¬â€œ waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re that bad.

• Like 20

This week I'm reading Hadrian's Memoirs, a 1951 novel by Marguerite Yourcenar, the first woman admitted to the French Academy. It gets me my letter Y author, plus it has an awesome Edward Gorey-illustrated cover. The back cover describes it as "one of the major works of our time, an unclassifiable and unique masterpiece." Which is to say, it seems to have no plot as such: it's the life of the Emperor Hadrian, as told by him in a letter to young Marcus Aurelius, with lots of philosophical and psychological meditation. Not to say I'm not enjoying it, but one shouldn't leap into this book expecting the wrong thing. Find myself marvelling at how very French the ancient Romans seem to be. (Though I'm sure a European watching HBO's "Rome" would remark how very American they seem.)

Violet,

Will your dd be into detectives?

Judge Dee, Father Brown, Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie?

Dd liked them to read during Freetime.

This year she takes Father Brown to every camp. (The complete sherlock holmes has also been travelled)

Her bedtime routine goes pretty quickly so she discovered she can read one or more stories before the remainder of the girls is ready...

She's read through Fr Brown and Sherlock Holmes, and didn't care for Agatha Christie. I haven't heard of Judge Dee.

• Like 18

Huge fan of Dunnett!  Let me add to Robin's post that the two Dunnett handbooks are particularly useful for exploring literary, geographic and political rabbit holes in the Lymond and Niccolo series.  The Johnson Johnson books are completely different--very silly.

Ask an Icelander for the one book that defines the country and its people and I suspect that many would say Independent People by HalldĂƒÂ³r Laxness.  This book was on the recommended reading list for our I hiking trip to Iceland; one of our guides, a retired librarian and intrepid hiker, encouraged all to read the book.  I had not read it before the trip.  Several fellow travelers started the book but failed to finish.  Our guide said "Stick with it.  You will be rewarded." 

I know that I missed the nuance Laxness incorporates into the novel in terms of the Icelandic sagas.  That is a world of poetry that I have missed.  But the tale of a feisty but rigid sheep farmer who wishes to have no debt or dependence on anyone is certainly a tale that transcends the rugged landscape of Iceland. His relationships with his children are not to be admired.  Farmer Bjartur is not a nice or sympathetic guy. 

There are comical moments throughout the book.  We see how events outside of Iceland influence the internal economy and politics, and how those changes will eventually play down to the farm.  Fortunes rise and fall, yet the landscape of Iceland remains a challenge.

From one Nobel Prize winner to another.  Strolling around the library recently, The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum by Henrich BĂƒÂ¶ll, caught my eye. This is a tale of a once innocent woman whose life is ruined by the tabloid press, a novel originally published in 1974.  The subtitle, "How violence develops and where it can lead", strikes me as relevant for today.

And then there is War and Peace. I have been rather fond of Prince Andrei from the beginning--I hope that doesn't change.

I did read one of the Johnson Johnson books for my Dorothy Dunnett square - Send a Fax to the Kasbah - and it was pretty silly. I am thinking of reading Niccolo for my Italian Renaissance square. Not sure if I'll get started this month or not.

Independent People is another of my finds from yesterday's book sale! I did try it awhile back and drop it, but your post (plus the fact that I now own a copy) inspires me to give it another try. At some point.

• Like 17

I read Chemistry by Weike Wang. It was a quick, enjoyable read. There was much I could relate to - I also had an existential crisis while a grad student in science at a top university in Boston. The parent-child relationship was kind of a Millennial version of the Joy Luck Club.  The book was written in an almost telegraphic style - few possessive pronouns, not many articles - in keeping with the narrator's mother tongue being Chinese. I'm often annoyed by that kind of liberties with syntax, but it totally worked in this case. I agree with Angela that it is probably a 3.75 star book, but I rounded up!

Books completed in August:

168. The Dispossessed - Ursula LeGuin

167. Katherine the Queen - Linda Porter

166. Chemistry - Weike Wang

165. Death in the Stocks - Georgette Heyer

164. Banana: The Fate of the Fruit that Changed the World - Dan Koeppel

163. Why Evolution is True - Jerry Coyne

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 20

I've read two Saramago books: All the Names (which I really did like) and The Tale of the Unknown Island (which was a nicely told, lyrical little tale).

32620376.jpg

I have started reading a book that came in for me at the library yesterday: The Only Child by Andrew Pyper. Enjoying it so far. And it may be one for those who join in spooky October reading....

That looks like something I'd enjoy!! What wildly divergent ratings/reviews it has gotten on goodreads.

Oh yeah, I forgot about The Tale of the Unknown Island. I read it about a year ago. Here's what I wrote in my review: Odd little book. I love Saramago's writing, though, particularly all the seemingly irrelevant and digressive details that give the story its poetry.

Glad to hear you enjoyed The Elephant's Journey, mumto2

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 15

I'm currently reading Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne and Murder Fantastical by Patricia Moyes. The mystery has a cast of amusing characters who feel like they belong in Cold Comfort Farm or The Darling Buds of May. Here is an excerpt:

"An old-fashioned bathing costume," said Henry, "and Wellington boots. You were carrying a flowered Japanese sunshade, a clarinet, and a string bag. You rang Mason's doorbell. He had no idea who you were..."

"But I announced my identity at once. As soon as he opened the door, I said, 'I am the Bishop of Bulolaland, and I want half a pound of margarine...'"

Earlier today I was heard to exclaim, "Oh, no, Aunt Dora's dead."

• Like 18

She's read through Fr Brown and Sherlock Holmes, and didn't care for Agatha Christie. I haven't heard of Judge Dee.

Judge Dee is based on a real 7th century detective.  Scholar, diplomat and author Robert Van Gulik introduced the western world to Dee when he translated an 18th century Chinese novel about the historic character and then went on to write numerous stories featuring Dee and his compatriots.

I went through a Dee kick in my 20's and reread some of the novels when I was a nursing mother in need of distraction.  In fact, Dee continues to live on my shelves since I have every intention of rereading the books again some day.

Dee is a Confucist so there is always a moral component to the story.  While he follows the Law, there is a natural law to which he subscribes.

I found the background descriptions of life and culture in ancient China to be rather fascinating.

• Like 17

I finished reading Katherine the Queen: The Remarkable Life of Katherine Parr, the Last Wife of Henry VIII.  It was a good biography of a woman we "know" from various portrayals in film & novels about the Tudors, but about whom not much actual scholarly writing has been done. The author clearly was making an effort to address the complexities of the religious situation in Tudor England from a balanced & unbiased POV, and to treat Katherine Parr based on the evidence rather than on proto-feminist or angelic nursemaid type fantasies. I enjoyed it.

• Like 15

I have started reading a book that came in for me at the library yesterday: The Only Child by Andrew Pyper. Enjoying it so far. And it may be one for those who join in spooky October reading....

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it. The Only Child looks like something I would enjoy. I just recommended it to my library. We shall see....

I seem to be on a bit of a Louise Penny reading/listening kick. I checked out a novella called The Hangman and the next audiobook today. I finished Bury Your dead before we left on our long weekend holiday. I finished The Magpie Murders this morning and loved it.

The plan is to finish Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookshop next. I am far enough along to be intrigued so hopefully I will finish it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32620349-midnight-at-the-bright-ideas-bookstore. I have wide assortment on my Kindle just in case including my next Cat Who.....I also hope to get a good chunk of Sarum finished on our way home. Our trip yesterday was chaotic because a major road was closed because a lorry spilled several tons of flour in the middle of the road. The pictures were amazing. All traffic in the SW of the country was a disaster apparently. I ended up navigating and talking to dh and dc's most of the way instead of reading.

My War and Peace audio book is also back. I am not sure where I am compared with everyone else. I am on chapter 12 of 15 with two epilogues. Quilting starts again when I get home so I am glad I have lots of audio books ready to go!

• Like 18

LOL, my next books in German are likely to be Independent People and the Lost Honor of Katharina Blum...

• Like 16

I just recovered my Judge Dee anthology from the attic.  They are supposed to be the world's first detective stories, written in the 18th century about a historical Chinese judge who lived in the 7th century.  I read them in my college Chinese Literature class

• Like 16

Back to my more normal amount of two books finished this week, and I'm not even all caught up on W&P!

83. The Essex Serpent (audiobook) - I think I ranted about this enough last week. ;)  1.5 stars.

84. Deadeye Dick - happy to have revisted Vonnegut.  4 stars.

Currently reading:

Del amor y otros demonios/Of Love and other Demons (ebook) - Liking this more than I thought I would.  I probably would have finished this off by now except that the next ebook I'm waiting for refuses to come in, so I've been prioritizing other stuff.

Northanger Abbey (audiobook) - how have I never gotten to this Austen?   :001_wub:   So much fun!

Into the Wild (Warriors #1) - I guess the best I can say is that the rest of the book appears to be marginally more readable than the first 5 pages.  :001_rolleyes:

W&P: I didn't start last week's reading till last night, so I'm not quite caught up to where I should be, but almost... :)

Coming up: 

The Golem and the Jinni is the ebook I've been waiting on, but if it doesn't show up soon, I've got another hold suspended that I'm first in line for (Let the Great World Spin ); I think I may take the suspension off and just see which shows up first... or if they both drag, pick something that has no hold on it...  Next audio will be Ocean at the End of the Lane unless it overlaps with Golem and the Jinni (seemed like too much fantasy at once; that's why when I thought the Golem book would be ready faster I picked Northanger Abbey instead).  And next hard copy I think will be, as I mentioned upthread, either Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum/ The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum or Sein eigener Herr / Independent People, both of which I already have on hand, and Shah of Shahs (going to pick this for my August birthstone read because Sardonyx/Iran) and Women Who Read are Dangerous (pretty pictures) are on their way from the library..  

• Like 18

I just recovered my Judge Dee anthology from the attic. They are supposed to be the world's first detective stories, written in the 18th century about a historical Chinese judge who lived in the 7th century. I read them in my college Chinese Literature class

I should clarify. I have only read the 20th century Van Gulik novels and his translation of an 18th century work.

Is your anthology a translation or in Chinese?

• Like 15

I should clarify. I have only read the 20th century Van Gulik novels and his translation of an 18th century work.

Is your anthology a translation or in Chinese?

I read the translation of the 18th century work (written by an unknown author, but yes, translated by Van Gulik). I don't speak Chinese... all the works we read in that class were in translation (though I think Chinese majors may have had to read them in Chinese?)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 15

I'm wondering which Dorothy Dunnett I tried a few years back -- tried and abandoned. I seem to recall it was the Lymond series and it had far, far too much dry political exposition that just stopped the story cold. (It's a pet peeve of mine when 2 characters stop to discuss court politics for paragraphs on end.) I remember being very disappointed as I love historical novels and Jane's glowing recommendations usually become favorite books of mine. I see Audible has both historical fiction series available -- wonder if I'd enjoy the Niccolo series better?

Speaking of clunky, plot stopping writing...   I'm just not feeling the love for Artemis, Andy Weir's follow up to The Martian.  I'm almost done, but there is far, far too much science and technology detail taking up pages in the big climatic event. The plot had picked up and become interesting again, but all this exacting detail just derailed it. I'll likely skim through to the end. 

Not sure what to pick up next -- there is a nice variety of titles in my TBR stack, and surely something there will be the perfect refuge in the coming hectic weeks of August.

• Like 18

I finished The Dispossessed, one of Ursula LeGuin's Hainish novels. This will be one of our Utopian/Dystopian class reads. I realized once I had started it that I've read it before. It's pretty heavy, philosophical, all about freedom & responsibility, anarchism, communism, the individual, the society, the state. I would give it 5 stars, but since I can't give Left Hand of Darkness 6 stars, I went with 4 to distinguish. 

It's satisfying to finish a bunch of things today, and I suppose it's good to clear some mental and physical space since I got so many new books yesterday.

• Like 15

I'm also making steady progress in Del amor y otros demonios / Of Love and Other Demons, and I'm happy to say that I'm liking it more as it goes along, even though I'm still wading through lots of GarcĂƒÂ­a MĂƒÂ¡rquez's arcane vocabulary - so happy that Google translate has added a Spanish/Spanish dictionary for words that have no English translation, like "a cylindrical cabin with vertical divisions in the hole of a wall, which when turned allows objects to be exchanged between persons without their seeing each other, used in cloistered convents", (not to mention another word that describes the nun who watches over said door),  "a type of cornbread, more salty than sweet, cooked in the oven and served with aguapanela (which would require another lengthy explanation)", "an ugly or mannish female servant." 

You inspired me. I started reading Teologia Feminista a Tres Voces (Azcuy et al) and managed to get through several pages of the introduction, understanding most of it. However, I predict this will be a very slow read.

I'm caught up with W&P and am continuing to read Natasha's Dance, as well as Give War & Peace a Chance. I finished Rosamunde Pilcher's The Shell Seekers. Totally lovely book that I didn't want to end.

I've got to read Dina Nayeri's Refuge in the next 3 or 4 days, before the library reclaims it.... And, along with everything else, I have some 9th grade planning and pre-reading to do. So many books, so little time!

We had to read Judge Dee during Secundary School.

It was a discovering to me and read all the Judge Dee books in Dutch available.

The first one explains how a Chinese Mystery at the time was build up.

Something totally different then I was used to.

The serie made also more clear what it can look like 'to be a confucian': I had no idea at the time.

The serie became unfashionable, so left most Libraries.

But they are in reprint now, so available again.

I introduced dd to Judge Dee mysteries and she too liked them.

• Like 17

I finished 5 books this week:

The Hart has its reasons (Spanish novel, one I really liked)

Kant et le petit Robe (very short book, philosophical, about temptation and Enlightenment)

The Blackhouse #1 (reminded me of a Vivica Stern Mystery, but very thrilling written, I think I like scandinavian mysteries :) )

How to become 100 (dutch book about a healthy lifestyle, hopefully better to implementate then the fasting book)

People like us / Hello Everybody (dutch book, recommended by Tress, about how journalism works and how it influences the Middle East news items, a must read for me)

• Like 16

I finished two this week, and so I am off fiction for the foreseeable future as I find I tire of stretched narratives. 

Pachinko, by Min Jin Lee:  multigenerational family saga of ethnic Koreans in Japan.  I recommend this book, the writing was fairly terse and the characters well developed. Trying to think of what other books it reminded me of, and I keep coming back to the Russians.  :rolleyes:

The Book of Joan, by Lidia Yuknavitch, scifi/geopocalyptical.  Some harsh body sculpting going on, made it hard to get into initially.  I suppose there are better books out there that handle the subject better; SevenEves comes to mind as one.  But scifi is not usually my bag.

Of course I am overly sensitive to the idea that both these books are NEW.  I believe I have simply not fully acclimated to the world of read a review/put on TBR list on Goodreads/search for said book on Overdrive/download and read book when it comes available.  It's some odd feedback loop I am stuck in...so much so that good books, pleasurable books (according to you all at least) that I have acquired that are NOT of recent vintage, gather dust on my in-real-life TBR pile, like The Plover and Oreo.  No, I must somehow heed the 2 or 3 week loan of the books on Overdrive, over driving all my other impulse to read.  :sleep:

Jane, I am so glad to learn you enjoyed Independent People.  I saw a lot of myself (except parenting style!) in that crotchety Bjartur...but then it's because I own sheep.  Makes me wonder if Laxness is really fleshing out a "type" of Icelander...like, everyone in Iceland knows a guy just like that, the way Lee did with her ethnic Koreans in Pachinko.  But like Murakami, I need some time to elapse between reading another of his books.

• Like 17

I finished Warleggan (Poldark #4) and surprised myself by how much I liked it! I have the next one on order. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7067295-warleggan

I think I am behind in War and Peace - I listened to a couple hours of it this week and just got through the Battle of Austerlitz. It was moving and I'm finally getting into the story. 

• Like 15

The Heart has its reasons (Spanish novel, one I really liked)

I'm glad to hear you liked it.  It's on my to-read list, as I loved The Time in Between, but it's got really mixed reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads, (even and especially among people who loved her first book), so I've been iffy.  But it's a book about a linguist.  :D  That's another one they've completely changed the title on... the Spanish is Mission: Forget.  Guess that doesn't in fact make for a punchy English title... ;)

• Like 13

I finished Dinner Most Deadly, one of the two John Pickett books that Kareni sent me. I have another Kindle version to read before I can get to the other one.

W&P - Almost finished with Volume Two.

After finishing The Histories, I started to listen to Kristin Lavransdatter but then my daughter-in-law told me about a podcast by a local reporter, called Murder on the Space Coast. I recognize many of the names involved (law enforcement, lawyers on both sides, judges). They were well known locally long before they were in the national spotlight because of Casey Anthony or Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman. My jaw regularly drops as I listen. I'm in the middle of the second of two seasons, so when I finish I'll get back to 14th century Norway and little Kristin (she was still young when I left off).

Started:

A Wedding Worth Waiting For - The latest Harlequin romance from The Hive's ktgrok. She offered it free in exchange for an honest review. I plan to use it for the local author square of BaW Bingo.

Under the Banner of Heaven - The only other thing I read by this author was his controversial Into Thin Air (which I learned about here on the threads) but I liked his writing style. He actually helped me to ease myself into reading non-fiction. In reading the first chapter of Banner, I thought I recognized a name and what he did (Mark Hoffman), so I looked it up. Sure enough, I read a book called The Poet and the Murderer that involved his forgeries, including forgeries of Emily Dickenson poems. The book was a Kindle freebie but is now $9.99. I don't think it's worth the price and am not sure I'd even recommend it if it was free. The "murderer" part comes into play because he set off pipe bombs that killed two people.

The Joy Luck Club - a reread, IRL book club.

Off to catch up on the thread before it gets too long. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 18

I'm glad to hear you liked it. It's on my to-read list, as I loved The Time in Between, but it's got really mixed reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads, (even and especially among people who loved her first book), so I've been iffy. But it's a book about a linguist. :D That's another one they've completely changed the title on... the Spanish is Mission: Forget. Guess that doesn't in fact make for a punchy English title... ;)

The dutch title is closer to the Spanish then:

The world forget.

The time in between has not been available yet in the Library (continue borrowed by others)

So I just pick what is available from her.

• Like 15

Of course I am overly sensitive to the idea that both these books are NEW.  I believe I have simply not fully acclimated to the world of read a review/put on TBR list on Goodreads/search for said book on Overdrive/download and read book when it comes available.  It's some odd feedback loop I am stuck in...so much so that good books, pleasurable books (according to you all at least) that I have acquired that are NOT of recent vintage, gather dust on my in-real-life TBR pile, like The Plover and Oreo.  No, I must somehow heed the 2 or 3 week loan of the books on Overdrive, over driving all my other impulse to read.  :sleep:

What device do you use for reading ebooks? Those of us with a dedicated ereader know not to turn on the wifi until we finish a book. That allows you to go past the return date and still have the book on your device. There have been times when I manually downloaded a book (to my computer and then to my Kindle) in order to avoid turning on wifi. :)

Of course if you're reading on a tablet or phone there's nothing you can do to prevent it from going POOF! when the loan period ends. 

• Like 15

Before I put Laxness on the shelf, I thought I'd offer a quote from Independent People, a scene in the isolated hovel when a teacher arrives:

They were allowed a little touch at each of the books, only with their fingertips tonight, literature cannot bear dirty hands; first we have to back each volume with paper, the covers must not get dirty, nor the spines slit, books are the nation's most precious possession, books have preserved the nation's life though monopoly, pestilence, and volcanic eruption, not to mention the tons of snow that have lain over the country's widely scattered homesteads for the major part of every one of its thousand years.

According to this BBC article, Iceland "has more writers, more books published and more books read, per head, than anywhere else in the world."  It has been noted in the BaW thread before about Iceland's holiday tradition of book gift giving.

We heard more about this Christmas tradition when we were in Iceland.  One of our hiking guides told us about the Yule Lads--and their antics on the thirteen days leading up to Christmas.  He also told us about book giving.  He said that visits outside the home to friends or family will occur on the 23rd or earlier in the day on the 24th.  But families tuck themselves in on the evening of December 24, give each books and then often stay up all night reading them. Sounds lovely, doesn't it?

• Like 19

Of course if you're reading on a tablet or phone there's nothing you can do to prevent it from going POOF! when the loan period ends. 

This is my situation.  I have had to do some fast catch-up on a couple of books, but so far I've managed to prevent a mid-read POOF. :)

I've learned not to check out over-long books on audio on Overdrive.  I need to be doing something else, not just sitting, to listen to a book (it's usually driving), and it's best if the book doesn't average more than 1/2 hour a day of listening.  Pachinko, for example, was 18 hours long (on a 21-day checkout).  That was a bit much.

• Like 16

What device do you use for reading ebooks? Those of us with a dedicated ereader know not to turn on the wifi until we finish a book. That allows you to go past the return date and still have the book on your device. There have been times when I manually downloaded a book (to my computer and then to my Kindle) in order to avoid turning on wifi. :)

The turning on/off of wifi throws me right between Dante's 3rd and 4th circle of hell (gluttony and greed, or is it greed then gluttony) because I *want* the next book coming on Overdrive. (I have two libraries.)  Thus, she persists with the book with wifi on and pressure to finish...

• Like 15

I finished Warleggan (Poldark #4) and surprised myself by how much I liked it! I have the next one on order. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7067295-warleggan

I think I am behind in War and Peace - I listened to a couple hours of it this week and just got through the Battle of Austerlitz. It was moving and I'm finally getting into the story.

I did not know Poldark is a book, even a serie of books!

• Like 13

I'm wondering which Dorothy Dunnett I tried a few years back -- tried and abandoned. I seem to recall it was the Lymond series and it had far, far too much dry political exposition that just stopped the story cold. (It's a pet peeve of mine when 2 characters stop to discuss court politics for paragraphs on end.) I remember being very disappointed as I love historical novels and Jane's glowing recommendations usually become favorite books of mine. I see Audible has both historical fiction series available -- wonder if I'd enjoy the Niccolo series better?

I don't think so. Just last week I received an email from a non-BaW friend who finished Niccolo #6 noting, "Truly I felt like I needed a couple history degrees to keep everything straight." This with the handbook!

She and I both think that the Lymond books are more fun than the Niccolos.  They are all dense but the political complexity is up a notch in Niccolo. (Plus you learn more about alum, medieval cloth dyes and Italian banks than you ever thought possible!)

Jane, I am so glad to learn you enjoyed Independent People.  I saw a lot of myself (except parenting style!) in that crotchety Bjartur...but then it's because I own sheep.  Makes me wonder if Laxness is really fleshing out a "type" of Icelander...like, everyone in Iceland knows a guy just like that, the way Lee did with her ethnic Koreans in Pachinko.  But like Murakami, I need some time to elapse between reading another of his books.

My favorite character in Independent People is the old woman who witnesses births and deaths and carries on knitting.  I see her in the matriarchs of my family.

I too will take a break from Laxness but will plan on reading Wayward Heroes in the future.

• Like 15

I wasn't able to get on the boards yesterday as I was busy steam cleaning a child's room for the umpteenth time. I'm finding it quite difficult to remove two dozen eggs from carpet since a child decided it would be "fun" to sneak out of their room during quiet time, grab the egg carton from the fridge, and egg their bedroom. The area around the baseboards is giving me fits so pulling it up is my next step. At least I was able to almost finish an audiobook while cleaning so that's a positive? Ugh.

Books read last week:

• Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. Fantasy. Laymen summon a dragon and discover they are dealing with forces beyond their control. Not one of my favorites.
  • Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz. Horror. A woman diagnosed with brain cancer finds herself caught up in a plot to murder a young girl. Some one once told me that Koontz always has a man, a woman, and a golden retriever. Check, check, check. An interesting premise if you like Koontz.
  • Monster Hunter Siege by Larry Corriea. Urban Fantasy. An accountant turned monster hunter travels to a remote Russian island to rescue hunters stranded in another dimension.
  • Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. Fantasy. A coven of witches hide the heir to the throne from an evil, murdering duke. As a nod to Shakespeare, in particular Macbeth and Hamlet, it's more adult than Pratchett's other books. Though I like Granny Weatherwax in other stories, this wasn't as enjoyable.
  • The Devil in Love by Jacques Cazotte. Novella-Eighteenth-Century Fantasy. A nobleman dabbles in the occult and calls up the devil to serve him. After reading The Master and Margarita, I was interested in finding more books like it, leading to this discovery on a top-ten list of devil characters. Likely an urban fantasy for its time, it switches between gender pronouns for the devil, depending on the characters demeanor and appearance as well as shifting in tenses. Interesting read.

I'm trying to finish The Philosopher Kings, but it's been a struggle. I have Where Christ and His Saints Slept up next, plus a big stack of library books. 

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 18

It is!! :) and while I like watching the current series (Aidan Turner!), I have enjoyed the books even more. The first one was written in the 1940s and the BBC did a miniseries back in 1975.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5179.Winston_Graham

I discovered the new series by the janeausten.nl newsletter. So I started watching this summer (season 4 or so) My library has not much of the serie, and the Dutch translations are hard to get.

I have to think about how much I want to spend on this :)

• Like 15

:seeya: 

I've been taking a break from the weekly thread for a few months, or maybe more than a few. 

Lately I haven't had much time for reading. I'm spending most of my days decluttering and organizing (konmari style) and the rest of the time planning out this upcoming school year. That does involve a lot of reading, but mostly about different ideas and things we might use. I am reading SWB's History of the Ancient World in anticipation of making a history decision for DS for 9th grade. Hopefully that counts!

Put a hold on this at the library. The excerpt is right up my alley and I still have Iceland at the top of my list to visit!

Speaking of clunky, plot stopping writing...   I'm just not feeling the love for Artemis, Andy Weir's follow up to The Martian.  I'm almost done, but there is far, far too much science and technology detail taking up pages in the big climatic event. The plot had picked up and become interesting again, but all this exacting detail just derailed it. I'll likely skim through to the end. 

I didn't even know there was a follow up, but had I known I probably would have made an attempt but I think I'll skip it based on your review. I like science and technology just fine, but it has to be the right amount and the right placement. This sounds like neither, which is too bad because I really liked The Martian. 

• Like 18

I've been taking a break from the weekly thread for a few months, or maybe more than a few. 

Lately I haven't had much time for reading. I'm spending most of my days decluttering and organizing (konmari style) and the rest of the time planning out this upcoming school year. That does involve a lot of reading, but mostly about different ideas and things we might use. I am reading SWB's History of the Ancient World in anticipation of making a history decision for DS for 9th grade. Hopefully that counts!

Put a hold on this at the library. The excerpt is right up my alley and I still have Iceland at the top of my list to visit!

I didn't even know there was a follow up, but had I known I probably would have made an attempt but I think I'll skip it based on your review. I like science and technology just fine, but it has to be the right amount and the right placement. This sounds like neither, which is too bad because I really liked The Martian. 

:party: Idnib is back!!!  Huzzah!

• Like 11

:seeya: Welcome back!! It is so good to see you here!

I wanted so very much to like Artemis. I found it very ironic that he broke every rule of science exposition that he had talked about at a Comic-Con sci-fi author panel I attended. He said a character should NOT explain gizmos or the science of his world, saying it breaks the flow of the story. The only thing worth explaining is what the character is learning. Yet in every action sequence, the moon's gravity had to be explained, as did the lack of atmosphere. Then when the plot got to aluminum smelting on the moon -- my, oh my, but the details were extreme.

And I was thinking of my all my BaW friends as I read Artemis, wondering what y'all would make of the protagonist who is a young woman, Saudi Arabian by birth, raised on the Moon and who has left her Muslim faith. None of those details seemed germane to the plot or her character, and while I don't think it is inherently wrong for a white man to write a female character of a different culture, it just seemed ... contrived. Wrong. The character was very much like the guy in The Martian, and it felt like the author decided all he needed to do to change it up was to change the gender and background of this new protagonist. 

I finished it today -- there are some redeeming qualities to the story, but overall I'm really disappointed.  So disappointed I've had to write 3 posts now to explain how disappointed I feel, lol!

• Like 14

I wasn't able to get on the boards yesterday as I was busy steam cleaning a child's room for the umpteenth time. I'm finding it quite difficult to remove two dozen eggs from carpet since a child decided it would be "fun" to sneak out of their room during quiet time, grab the egg carton from the fridge, and egg their bedroom. The area around the baseboards is giving me fits so pulling it up is my next step. At least I was able to almost finish an audiobook while cleaning so that's a positive? Ugh.

:svengo: I cannot even begin to imagine this mess! Or what I'd say to the kid who thought this was such a great idea.... So, does the steam cleaner "cook" the eggs as it is cleaning them up?

Welcome back, Idnib!

I finished listening to The Mountain Story by Lori Lansens. I really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would at the beginning. And for different reasons. It was absolutely riveting, and the reader was wonderful. Anybody looking for a book for the Mountain Climbing bingo square, I recommend it. Not for the faint hearted, but I'm really glad I listened to it.

I'm also enjoying Jo Walton's What Makes This Book So Great, which is  a collection of her Tor blog posts about re-reading the classics of sci fi. I've already added a few to my TR list and foresee adding many more. I like Jo Walton's blogging & nonfiction almost more than I like her novels, she is someone I'd really like to meet IRL.

:seeya: Idnib! Waving south at you.

• Like 14

No time to read right now (including this thread!) but barely keeping up with W&P (loved book 2 part 3). Still reading dd's summer reading, Rogue River Journal. Evicted became available at the library but I doubt I'll have time to get to it (2 more summer reading books to get to for kids). I always think there will be so much time over the summer, but it never seems to work out that way. One of the summer projects--getting a new built-in unit in the living room, is adding approximately 28 linear feet of shelf space for books--that's a good thing--but also leading to major organizational projects around here. We're thinking of having a garage sale in a few weeks as we clean out bookshelves, closets, and the attic. Also found a great local facebook group for giving stuff away. Giving away the old entertainment center that the built-in replaced felt really good--very appreciative recipient.

• Like 15

So my daughter started the Diamox (diuretic) on Friday as advised in The Driscoll Theory.  Her doctor is starting her on a low dose, just 1/2 a 125mg tablet twice a day.  Ani was a good candidate for it because she's got POTS and EDS and she has chiari zero symptoms.  So far, so good.  It is totally helping!  The ringing in her ears she's had for years?  Gone.  Constant headache?  Much better.  Dizziness?  Reduced.  Blurry vision when turning her head?  Gone.  Feeling like her head is going to explode?  Also gone.  She can tell when she needs her next dose because the problems start coming back.  A higher dose may get rid of the symptoms that were just made better.  Since 125mg 3xday is commonly prescribed, we definitely can go higher from where we are now.  So whoever read The Driscoll Theory, thanks!  Diamox may literally be the miracle drug we've been praying for.

Today I finished reading Detour from Normal by Ken Dickson.  It was fascinating and a little horrifying, too.  In 2011, he ended up with a massive infection due to diverticulitis and had surgery to remove part of his colon.  He was really sick.  And then he ended up manic.  No one knows why, but there were several drugs he got while in the hospital that can cause people to become manic and some side effects of surgery in general that could, too.  The horrifying part is once he was diagnosed, he was treated as crazy and not really a person.  No one cared to look into why he was behaving as he was, but, rather, wanted him to sit down, shut up, and take medication (some of which made no sense for his symptoms).

• Like 15

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Jane, I ended up going by the library and popped in to pick up Independent People. They had the actual 1946 printing, which was surprising. It definitely looks dense as far as fiction goes.

It is dense but there are moments of comic relief as well as everything you ever wanted to know about sheep. And then some.

• Like 11