Menu

Help me think through this latin idea, please?

Latin isn't really our best subject here. We're sort of playing around with it, and dd and I will dive into Henle a bit later (8th ish?)

Dd really likes translation work in Russian - she takes our Russian/English bible and a Russian/English dictionary and copies out verses in Russian, tries to translate then compares with the English.

So I wanted to add something similar with latin to our morning time studies. We are up to the reformation in history and my kids were taken with Erasmus. I was thinking that we could try to translate some of Erasmus' Adagias? Found a website that has them in Latin with English. We would use an online latin dictionary, and I was hoping to be able to point out declensions/conjugations as we go (maybe print out a chart?) We could use the simply convivial latin practice pages where you parse the grammar to help translate...

My latin is very rudimentary, so we'd be figuring it out together as we go.

What do you think? What am I missing? Would I need any other resources?

We're just feeling pretty uninspired with latin at the moment, none of the programs are speaking to me.

Our goal for latin is more exposure than mastery, unless they choose to delve deeper.

So the basic idea would be to do this Erasmus idea for a while, and maybe jump in to memoria press' henle latin with my older two when they're 8th/6th, or just dd in 8th. She has so far done GSWL, minimus book 1, some of prima latina/latina christiana - but I haven't been a very good latin teacher so far.

I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions!

Aphorisms like that tend to be quite oblique and non-literal, so I imagine it would be rather mystifying. If she likes translating the Bible, why not consider using the Vulgate, which tends to be written in pretty direct Latin, and go through the Perseus Digital Library, which links each word to a gloss. They have many other texts too, as well as English translations, though those tend to be antiquated because they're copyright-free.

• Like 1

Yes, I had the same worry. Looking through some of the sayings, they can be quite difficult to understand - that could be part of the fun? Or just a source of frustration? I'm not sure.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Edited by LMD