Menu

Computer help -- Chrome is all messed up

happypamama

Is there anyone who could PM with me about my computer?  I have a Dell Latitude e6410 running Win 7.  My Chrome is all messed up.  Some sites are fine.  However, Google, Amazon, New Tab, YouTube, and searching from the address bar -- they produce a screen full of random characters like random letters, dashes, and question marks in little diamonds.  DD's identical machine is having similar problems.  I've run a virus scan -- nothing found.  Windows and Chrome both have all updates installed.  I haven't added any new software lately (I did install new RAM in mine a few days ago, but this was happening before that.)  It doesn't happen with IE, just with Chrome.  I wrote to the Major Geeks forum; they suggested resetting Chrome to its default settings and restarting the machine.  I did that, and it is just flaky, sometimes okay and sometimes not.  I don't know what to do.

My Amazon is flaky.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  Same with Google and search.

• Like 1

I am using a Dell Latitude E6410 machine with the MS Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) OS.  It has all of the latest "Important" updates from Microsoft (those are the ones for Security and Stability issues) and I believe I have the latest version of the Google Chrome web browser. I am NOT having any of the issues you have described.  I went to check in the Chrome Settings and think I have version 60,0.3112.78  One should ALWAYS use the latest available version of a web browser.  When I went to check the Chrome version while I was writing this, it updated to a newer Chrome version. Now, I need to Relaunch Google Chrome...

Possibly Uninstall Chrome and then Restart MS Windows and then Download (with Firefox or another web browser you have installed) Google Chrome again and start over.  Very strange since you are seeing this on 2 machines.

• Like 1

One of the sites you mentioned was YouTube.  I randomly selected this video and it was smooth, like watching TV.

Our E6410 Latitude machines (DD has the other one) have 8 GB of RAM and they both have an nVidia card.

NOTE: You need to confirm that you are running the latest Stable version of Google Chrome. Don't run Beta versions of anything unless you are on a machine that you are testing Software on.

Also, I would probably change the Video Driver, in case your Driver has become corrupted. However, I find it hard to believe you would have the same issue in 2 machines concurrently.

• Like 1

I would also test the RAM in both machines. The go to program (free to download and use) is memtest86. Burn it to a CD and then boot from the CD. Let it run for at least one complete pass (that will be Pass 0)

https://www.memtest86.com/

And then it would be good to run non-destructive diagnostics on the hard disk drives or solid state drives. Best to use Diagnostic utilities from the OEM manufacturer.

My DD isn't having any issues either.   Possibly there is an extreme coincidence and both machines have this issue at the same time, but that makes it stranger. 

Are you having issues with the AC power to your house? Does this happen when running on battery power?

Uninstalling Chrome, Restarting Windows, and then Downloading the STABLE version of Google Chrome will hopefully eliminate this issue.

• Like 1

The link in post 5 involved an anti virus utility that was causing a similar issue to the Firefox browser. Since the OP has 2 machines with the issue it's probably not caused by Hardware failures in both machines at the same time with the same symptom

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@OP     My comments in posts 5 and 6 may have the solution to your interesting (because it is in 2 machines) issue.  What Anti Virus Utility are you using?  Can you disable it for 2 minutes, to see if you can then access the problematic web sites, without the garbage you are seeing on the screen? Are you using the same Anti Virus Utility in both machines?

The issues you are having are probably caused by your Anti Virus Utility, or by some other Software or by a Driver. It is almost impossible for me to believe that you could have 2 machines with the same issue and that the issue is caused by Hardware. Not impossible, but that's unlikely.  

• Like 1

Clear history and cache 'back to the beginning of time' then turn off computer completely.  Then restart computer. (Don't just use computer restart)

Then clear history and cache again (there shouldn't be anything there but I do it just to make sure it all cleared). Run your virus software. FIx any bad files that it brings up.

Restart computer.

Hopefully these easy steps will solve it and it was just a glitch or a simple virus.

• Like 2

Taps suggestions should be tried    If it is like the link I posted, where the problem was with the Firefox web browser, the issue (garbage on the display) was caused by the Anti Virus Utility that person was using. I think there was reference for a fix to the Anti Virus Utility in that thread.. 

Many possibilities...  

The 2 machines are the same model, but some of the components in them are probably different.   We have 3 Dell Latitude E6400 machines, all configured slightly differently.   Our 2 Dell Latitude E6410 machines are configured slightly differently. It depends on how the Customer (corporate or government) wanted them configured, when they placed the order with Dell or the Leasing company.

The issue is almost positively caused by Software, or a Driver gone awry, and not failure of Hardware, in 2 different machines, at the same time.

• Like 1

You are both awesome -- thank you so much!  Lanny, I concur with your assessment that it's a software problem rather than a hardware problem.  It's not happening on either DH's desktop, nor on our third Dell Latitude e6410, but both of those run Win 10.

I've reinstalled Chrome, and I'm using the latest version.  No luck.  I ran Avast -- didn't find anything.  I ran MalwareBytes, per the recommendation from MajorGeeks -- nothing found.  Running diagnostics would be the next option, but I'm thinking that if that were the problem, it would be more across the board, instead of selected websites.  The fact that it's Google and YouTube makes me suspect it's Google's problem, not mine.  I cleared all the things, shut down, and restarted.  Nothing.  We haven't had any power troubles, and it happens on battery as well.

Lanny, I couldn't get that one link to open.  However, I didn't realize that Google had a help forum (I should have -- of course they have one).  This is apparently a known problem.  My computer looks like this: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/rcLBaKmJtB8;context-place=forum/chrome

I have been working through the solutions in the video in hopes that one of them will work eventually.  But then I followed the direction to disable the Brotli Content-Encoding flag, and on my machine (haven't tried DD's yet), that seems to have fixed everything except for the New Tab.  I can live with that.  What a strange problem.  I hope they fix it soon.

• Like 2

@happymama   VERY GOOD!   I hope the change you made fixes the glitch permanently!  If you didn't have the issue, using another web browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.) you know the problem is related to Google Chrome.  In the link I gave to you above, I read it quickly, but it seemed to have something to do with the Anti Virus Utility that person was using on the machine. His issue was with Mozilla Firefox.  It had to do with the way his Anti Virus Utility was handling Secure (HTTPS) web pages and he was getting garbage on the screen.

Fingers crossed that what you did eliminates the problem permanently!

Google and You Tube have the same owners now, so they are probably closely integrated.  Something in the version of Chrome you are using apparently isn't configured quite right. 

• Like 1

OP:  Please let us know, in a day or 2, if the problem is solved or comes back intermittently. Hopefully, it is gone forever.  I was on 2 of the sites in your list today, Amazon and YouTube, using the Chrome Browser (U.S. English, 64 bits) and there were no issues.  I watched the "Despacio" music video (more than 3 billion views) and that video about Motorcycle Tires and everything was perfect. Hopefully, you have eliminated the issue. 

• Like 1