Menu

Do you have Bose Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones?

Ginevra

I really want a pair. I have wanted a pair for several years, but Holy Bobby, they are expensive. I actually ordered a pair of not-Bose NCWHs a couple years ago, but the Bluetooth did not work and I returned them. That pair was around $100. I am pretty convinced that there is no point at all getting another pair if they are not Bose. I really need for them to be spectacular in the noise-cancelling depatment and, the word is, only Bose really does that. One review of Bose says it is like, "going totally deaf except for beautiful music." I'm not even that big on how good music sounds through them, I just want to be able to put them on and "go totally deaf." If I'm listening to music, so much the better if it sounds good, but I just want to be able to put on headphones and "go totally deaf." There are sounds in the household which I want to be able to utterly eliminate at will.

P.S. I have never been able to figure out regular ear plugs. They do not work. I want a headphone to cover my ears and make me go totally deaf temporarily.

We don't have Bose because they are too expensive. However James who has sensory issues uses Audio Technica which filter all the background noise out. We did a test drive at  the Cheesecake Factory which I didn't know was going to be ultra noisy and he was perfectly fine.   I tried them and although you don't go completely deaf, sounds are certainly muffled enough.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 1

Since my wireless ear buds are used primarily for running, I don't want to cancel all the noise. When I bought new tips for the ear buds, I was incredibly disappointed to find the redesigned Comply tips did just that. So, ime, at least when it comes to the in-ear ones, the Comply tips seem to accomplish that and then maybe you can expand your search a bit or at least come up with some less expensive options.

My husband has them and loves them- he got a gift certificate from employees a few years back and waited for a long time and finally got them. The sound is as expected, amazing- only Bose seems to accomplish that kind of sound in headphones. And yes noise canceling is quite incredible. For me it's like a whole other world- just music and nothing else- excellent for relaxation and focus.

I don't prefer over the ear headphones otherwise love them.

• Like 1

We have the Sony imitation ones we got for $200 at Costco. I preferred them to Bose. My Costco has both to try out. They are like the rest of the world disappearing. :)

I was going to suggest Costco too. I can't wait until my youngest is old enough for me to be comfortable wearing a pair. I go put them on at Costco and dream...

• Like 1

We own three pairs. They are awesome. They have an educator's discount. One pair was a gift for my DH's 20 years st his company. One pair was my oldest' college graduation present. One pair was my DS16's 16th birthday present. My DH loves them for flying to India. Oldest DS travels for work and he likes them in a hotel. DS16 uses his to tune out his younger siblings.

• Like 1

I borrow a pair every time I fly.  They are amazing.  I arrive so much less frazzled.  
Last time I flew, the person I borrow from was coming with me, so I was worried I'd have to go without and almost coughed up the $300 for my own pair.  Turns out the lender had a very old spare pair, so I didn't have to spring for my own.  Even the ancient, tattered pair was awesome.

My low-frazzle flight recipe = Bose noise-canceling headphones + yoga music (or something else stress-reducing) + my Kindle loaded up with a ton of books using my NYC Public Library card*.

*Available to out-of-state folks for free, for three months - stop by the library with your ID to get yours; renewable in person.  Borrow 12 books at a time, from a vast collection.

• Like 1

My husband has some Bose wireless headphones. Well, he did! DD seems to have adopted them. LOL Not sure if they're noise cancelling because they are like earbuds with the ear hook thingy (kind of like eyeglass ear piece) but they might be because DH is a light sleeper and he mentioned something about loving how awesome they were for sleeping on deployment on the boat because he didn't have to listen to all the noise around him - and even slept through a "man overboard drill".

He has expressed his love for them more than once.

• Like 1

years ago I had a pair of Bose wired headphones that I loved!  But, when they broke, I couldn't justify the $$$ for the newer wireless ones.  Dd has Skull Candy that she likes.  Oldest has Dr Dre Beats she likes. 

I need a new pair of "in ear" buds but haven't gotten around to buying a pair yet

If you don't care about the music you could just buy the noise canceling ear protection. Like the ones worn at shooting ranges.

I have some of those (in the $30 range, bought from a hunting store, and we use them when shooting) and they're not even *close* to as good as the Bose. Not even close. 

We don't have Bose because they are too expensive. However James who has sensory issues uses Audio Technica which filter all the background noise out. We did a test drive at  the Cheesecake Factory which I didn't know was going to be ultra noisy and he was perfectly fine.   I tried them and although you don't go completely deaf, sounds are certainly muffled enough.  

The first review on the Audio Technica ones at this link compares them with the Bose and Senns... I have the Bose, and they're quite good. I'm very sensitive to noise, and I bought a pair for me and a pair for dd (who is also noise sensitive) when we fly. For ds, I'm trying to remember. I have that hunting pair, which actually he just destroyed, ugh. They were *adequate* for him when flying. They work, but they're just not as good as the Bose. The Senns I have, can't remember if they're noise canceling or not. They help. The Bose I wear with an extra layer of ear plugs when I fly. With that, the double layer, I arrive ok, with no headaches. 

And yes, Cheesecake Factory is awful, so loud, oh my. Amazon.com: Mack's Ear Care Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs, 50 Pair: Health & Personal Care I use these out and about when I'm in a noisy place. They're 32DB and skin colored. They're what I wear in addition to the Bose noise canceling when I fly.

For the op, have you tried some in-between options, like noise-canceling earbuds? Somebody mentioned Skull Candy. Walmart had them for $5 for back to school. I picked up several pairs. Ds wears them in the car with his kindle, and he can't hear you hollering at him at all. For just a really average, typical user, that might be all it takes.

Adding: We bought ours at Best Buy, where we could actually use them. I think they had other brands as well. BB is pretty noisy, so it was pretty obvious how well they were working.

Edited by OhElizabeth

My kid has the Bose, and doesn't use them anymore, because they don't quite pull off going totally deaf. The Bose are better than the competition, but not 100% noise cancelling. That does't help us, because really soft sounds are the problem, and the Bose just seemed to make everything really soft. We rely on cheap, snug-fitting, noise-isolating ear buds with a music player instead. Some people with the same condition combine earbuds playing music + over-the-ear protection like one would use at a shooting range.

• Like 1

years ago I had a pair of Bose wired headphones that I loved! But, when they broke, I couldn't justify the $$$ for the newer wireless ones. Dd has Skull Candy that she likes. Oldest has Dr Dre Beats she likes.

I need a new pair of "in ear" buds but haven't gotten around to buying a pair yet

I do have a Skull Candy pair that I use for listening to iTunes. That is what I use to drown out unwanted noise now, but they don't eliminate noise to produce silence; they only give me *different* sounds to listen to than whatever is buggimg me. It's also not as awesome to be wired. My wire gets caught on the cabinet and drawer pulls if I'm trying to listen while cooking.

Technically, you can use the Bose without playing music. So then, when you add the 32DB earplugs *and* have the noise canceling on, it's really, really doggone quiet. 

So you're saying you want to totally eliminate certain sounds? What kind? It really varies with the kind of noise as to how effective it will be. It might be easier to build a noise barrier with acoustic foam, put the device on a timer, or some other option. We used acoustic foam on a pump that we only run on occasion. 

The types of sounds these things block best are going to be your low rumble type stuff (airplane motors, etc.). Anything that is similar to a human voice is meant to come through. 

You can also put your skull candy earbuds under a really good, inexpensive pair of normal NOT noise canceling headphones. Like go to a shooting store, pick up a pair for $30 or pick up a pair of Sennheisers, put your Skull Candy's under those. The double layer might get you where you want to be, still at a great price. We've done that with ds for conventions and noisy places. With his autism, his behavior can really degrade in noise. We were having to do this when he was young, so you wouldn't put $300+ headphones on him, kwim? But the earbuds plus regular headphones work GREAT and are cheap. 

Cheap headphones are going to have DB ratings. Find something that says 30+ DB and layer those with noise canceling earbuds, and you may have the effect you want. You can probably find them at Walmart, definitely on amazon.

• Like 1

Technically, you can use the Bose without playing music. So then, when you add the 32DB earplugs *and* have the noise canceling on, it's really, really doggone quiet.

So you're saying you want to totally eliminate certain sounds? What kind? It really varies with the kind of noise as to how effective it will be. It might be easier to build a noise barrier with acoustic foam, put the device on a timer, or some other option. We used acoustic foam on a pump that we only run on occasion.

The types of sounds these things block best are going to be your low rumble type stuff (airplane motors, etc.). Anything that is similar to a human voice is meant to come through.

You can also put your skull candy earbuds under a really good, inexpensive pair of normal NOT noise canceling headphones. Like go to a shooting store, pick up a pair for $30 or pick up a pair of Sennheisers, put your Skull Candy's under those. The double layer might get you where you want to be, still at a great price. We've done that with ds for conventions and noisy places. With his autism, his behavior can really degrade in noise. We were having to do this when he was young, so you wouldn't put $300+ headphones on him, kwim? But the earbuds plus regular headphones work GREAT and are cheap.

Cheap headphones are going to have DB ratings. Find something that says 30+ DB and layer those with noise canceling earbuds, and you may have the effect you want. You can probably find them at Walmart, definitely on amazon.

I want to eliminate DH playing piano, sometimes DS playing guitar or music technology sounds, and TV or radio news. Ideally, I want to be able to put the headphones on my head *without* music and just have utter silence. I cannot read or do focused tasks if I can hear music (especially music I do not like) or if I can hear TV chatter and canned laughter and other irritating TV nonsense. When I am cooking, I can put on my Skull Candy headphones (they are over-ear, not ear buds) and play music, which does drown out irritating noises, but this strategy does not work for reading or writing. I am very noise sensitive and am easily distracted by TV chatter or music. Drowning out with music does not work for that application because music is too distracting to me, even if it is music I like. Also, my Skull Candy are not a perfect solution even when I'm cooking because the wires get snagged on things constantly.

Some of it, honestly, if probably (almost certainly) my age/hormones dropping like Sear's stock value/generally intolerant auditory channels. But if all it takes to keep my sanity in place is a pair of very expensive headphones, maybe that is a decent payoff.

• Like 1

It would be easier to put headphones on the people playing piano and watching tv. If they get an electric piano, boom headphones work. Some electric pianos are really good! TV, absolutely with headphones. You can do it through the Roku. 

Technically you can put a damper on regular pianos, but I wouldn't. You could move the piano to a room and put more insulation in the walls. We have a room we put extra insulation in of a higher rating. It's just one bedroom, but we figured if any of our kids just HAD to play violin, that's where they'd be practicing. :D

It would be easier to put headphones on the people playing piano and watching tv. If they get an electric piano, boom headphones work. Some electric pianos are really good! TV, absolutely with headphones. You can do it through the Roku.

Technically you can put a damper on regular pianos, but I wouldn't. You could move the piano to a room and put more insulation in the walls. We have a room we put extra insulation in of a higher rating. It's just one bedroom, but we figured if any of our kids just HAD to play violin, that's where they'd be practicing. :D

Yeah, unfortunately, the people playing piano or playing the TV are not people who will wear headphones to make me happy. We have an electric piano - a very good one - with headphones. It is a battle I have fought and lost. my options are: leave the house or block the noise at my own ears.

My kid has the Bose, and doesn't use them anymore, because they don't quite pull off going totally deaf. The Bose are better than the competition, but not 100% noise cancelling. That does't help us, because really soft sounds are the problem, and the Bose just seemed to make everything really soft. We rely on cheap, snug-fitting, noise-isolating ear buds with a music player instead. Some people with the same condition combine earbuds playing music + over-the-ear protection like one would use at a shooting range.

I have a pair of the Bose non-wireless and I agree they don't pull off totally blocking sound. They are great at eliminating motor/engine sounds, like the furnace fan, highway noises, background sounds, etc. They block or muffle or tone down a lot of other sounds to the point of me being able to tune them out, but the sounds aren't gone. I still love mine and use them often. Even though the sound isn't there, it still feels like an escape. Except for the piccolo playing. There's no escaping that.  

• Like 1