Menu

ELTL vs FLL and WWE

ktgrok

DD is 7, and a rising 2nd grader. We've been very relaxed with school. Our big focus is still phonics and arithmetic. She's a slow but progressing reader. That needs to stay our focus. But, we need to bring some other stuff into it. I did FLL and WWE with my oldest, but I'm wondering if ELTL would be a better fit for this child, and for our family right now. I'm kind of bad about working good literature into our day, so that would force me to do so, right? And DS, who will be 5 next month, could listen in as he wished. And we haven't covered fables so ELTL 1 would do that. She probably could do level 2, but 1 would be easier as we deal with phonics. (using Dancing Bears and a hodgepodge of other stuff). 

What do you think? Or something else? I do want to get some beauty in our day, just not sure how. 

I think the nice thing about ELTL is that it is similar to WWE. You can essentially do WWE as you go because ELTL has copy work from literature and while the narrations are less, you can always add in more each week. It is kind of the best of both worlds.

ELTL 1 isn't hitting what FLL1 does but ELTL 2 covers grammar so you could always hit grammar next year if you stuck with ELTL. I always go back to everyone saying why teach in 3 years what can be taught within 1 year when they are older. That is really starting to make sense to me.

Perfect example is this...my 7 year old soon to be 2nd grade daughter did FLL 1 last year. I mean, half the book is on nouns for crying out loud but as we did madlibs the other night she goes "what is a noun again?" Haha!! This is a kid who tests gifted by the way. So yeah, I am thinking grammar can wait :)

Edited by nixpix5

FLL1 is pretty basic but it's also quick. We did it just a few minutes a day. How is her writing? WWE1 has copywork but also narrations, is she comfortable writing a few lines? ELTL is very gentle in its instruction. Every few lessons there is a simple reminder on grammar and punctuation. Most of the time it's an Aesop's Fable, a poem, and a couple lines of copywork from the recommended literature. Every few lessons is also a picture study. Sporadically throughout there are times to write out the Aesop's Fable. There are also a few boxes to color. I like a lot of the poems in ELTL better than FLL so sometimes I had DS memorize those instead. I also liked that for those poems there is copywork so one line at a time of the poem. I liked having to do the poem everyday since I wouldn't otherwise and I think the picture study was worthwhile as well. The same was true of reading classics I'm sure I'd never have read otherwise, like we both enjoyed Pinocchio and he really liked Beatrix Potter. DD would listen as well and enjoyed some of the stories. We both hated the Five Little Peppers but that's been dropped from the new version. It does show though that the reading really isn't tied in to ELTL. After we dropped that book I just had him do the copywork without a problem. It's not tied in like in WWE where there are passages to discuss. I really like that about WWE and the narrations. I couldn't decide which one to use and DS does LA really quickly so we did them all if you have anymore questions about them.

I you liked FLL and WWE, then ELTL will be an easy good fit. The classics used in ELTL are used for copywork, and have been valuable for my children to read. I found the workbook that goes along with ELTL very nice to have in digital format so I can just print out what we are going to use. 

I have used both programs.  

I wrote up a review and comparison of both here:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/615509-can-someone-compare-eltl-and-fll/

For what it is worth, both programs are great.  You can't go wrong picking either.   I personally think that ELTL is much more efficient and streamlined.   So that would be my pick.  

As far as placement, I think your daughter would be FINE to start in ELTL 2.   It is very gentle and starts from the very beginning with grammar assuming no prior knowledge.   (Honestly, ELTL 1 is mostly about the copywork and read alouds.  I know a lot of people who started older kids with ELTL 1 because they didn't want to miss the books.  However, they quickly got bored.)   

I have used both programs.  

I wrote up a review and comparison of both here:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/615509-can-someone-compare-eltl-and-fll/

For what it is worth, both programs are great.  You can't go wrong picking either.   I personally think that ELTL is much more efficient and streamlined.   So that would be my pick.  

As far as placement, I think your daughter would be FINE to start in ELTL 2.   It is very gentle and starts from the very beginning with grammar assuming no prior knowledge.   (Honestly, ELTL 1 is mostly about the copywork and read alouds.  I know a lot of people who started older kids with ELTL 1 because they didn't want to miss the books.  However, they quickly got bored.)   

Streamlined is good!

Also, would you stick with your "ok to do ELTL 2" plan if the student had done VERY little, to almost none, writing/copywork previously? And was a hesitant reader (ok with early bob books, but gets nervous with more words on the page, doing Dancing Bears now, finished AAR1)? For read alouds we do a chapter at a time of say, Little House on the Prairie but hasn't had any more complex read alouds. 

Streamlined is good!

Also, would you stick with your "ok to do ELTL 2" plan if the student had done VERY little, to almost none, writing/copywork previously? And was a hesitant reader (ok with early bob books, but gets nervous with more words on the page, doing Dancing Bears now, finished AAR1)? For read alouds we do a chapter at a time of say, Little House on the Prairie but hasn't had any more complex read alouds.

ELTL 2 isn't really significantly more writing in the grand scheme of things. I am using 2 for my 6 year old twins and 7 year old daughter. We started it last month and everyone is doing fine. They twins haven't had any formal writing or grammar. They are loving it. The only thing I might do is switch out Wind in the Willow from 2 with Pinocchio from 1. If you buy the manual from Rainbow Resource that has both 1 and 2 in it then you can decide once you have it in hand :)