Menu

Total amnesia (a rant)

Roadrunner

So after two months of being in vacation, one forgot how to write, both forgot the foreign language they have been learning for four years. It's as if we have done no work at all for the past four years in anything.

My younger kid finished WWS1 last year, but can't put together a paragraph.

I am in complete panic right now and frankly an inch away from walking them both to the local PS, so at least I won't be blame for the sorry state of their education.

• Like 1

This is a known issue with summer vacations - public schools call it the "summer slide". Could also be a hormone issue if they're in puberty. I wouldn't panic. Do some review. I'm sure most of it will come back. That's what the schools do, after all, and it mostly works for them.

• Like 10

My kids did schoolwork on the plane and at airports. The plane (Air Canada) had complimentary slow wifi and paid faster wifi onboard.

Wait two weeks before panicking about summer slide.

This is a known issue with summer vacations - public schools call it the "summer slide".

I agree. Public middle and high schools here gave summer homework to minimize the summer slide.
  • Like 1

That is why the first few chapters of curriculum always feels so redundant. They are quickly reteaching all of the things forgotten over summer ;)

We homeschool year round but even taking 3 weeks off this month for a vacation and a cousin visiting meant they had forgotten some things. Try not to panic ;)

• Like 3

This is why I have to force my eldest to work over the summer, even though it makes me feel like a hag sometimes.

She still forgets a lot, even with review.

Yesterday we were reviewing Spanish by reading some kiddy foreign language books.  For someone who has been learning Spanish for the better part of 11 years, you'd think she'd remember what "frog" is etc.  But, I was relieved to know she does actually remember the letter sounds (more or less).  :/

• Like 1

Ahhh! I'm not looking forward to next week (start of the school year for us). It was our first time not schooling year round and the kids have been vegetating big time. I know it was a mistake but I also wanted a big time off. We should have taken only a month off instead of two+.

• Like 1

This happens to my kids every year (which is why they read and do math in the summer now). I just put up with everything else sliding out. As they get older, more things stick, but it is just as frustrating when they look at you blankly when you mention something that they spent months on earlier this year.

I found puberty also made this an anytime-of-the-year phenomenon, not just a start-of-the-school-year one.

For those who have never had this happen, count your blessings!! It is crazy making!!

OP, I agree to give it a week or two. They should come round.

• Like 2

I got some really interesting French translations today. "Donkey brother" instead of an "elder brother" was the highlight of the day. Yes, there is a similarity about those words in French, buuuuut, those are such basic words. Four years of studying!

I won't go into the written work in either English or French.

And yes, we are hitting teenage years. And to top this all off, attitude!

• Like 2

Been there. For my kids, it was several times when Math facts were as if they had never heard of those things in their lives. 6 x 8? What ever could that mean?

• Like 3

The longest holiday we ever take is about 2 weeks, and that is because we aren't home, and staying in a house far away with numerous other adults and kids.

Even so I usually get them to read something. (Eldest is reading Harry Potter, Youngest is listening to it, and reading a jumbo duct tape book. I also get them to do Duolingo ever day. )

Wednesday will be are first day back at school after a eleven day holiday. The whole day will be spent on review, listening to books, and being told that they are good boys and can manage this stuff.

• Like 2

Mildly comment that "Oh dear, well since two months off schoolwork caused you to forget everything, next summer I will make sure we do some (insert forgotten subjects) everyday.  Summer vacation was meant for kids to help with farming back in the old days anyway."   I bet they suddenly remember a lot more. ;-)

• Like 1

Absolutely 100% perfectly normal and quite common.  In fact, when my kids were in school the school usually spent the first 6 weeks after coming back from summer vacation to review everything the kids forgot.  And often that 6 weeks of review wasn't enough for all kids in all subjects.  This is also one of the reasons why a topic/concept covered in one grade is covered again in the next grade.  Human brains frequently need a lot of long term exposure and review before something sticks long term and is easily recalled even when it hasn't had to in a long time.

Do some review, don't panic, and don't think you are a failure as an educator.  Human brains just don't function well in a vacuum.  Its been a loooonnnnngggg time since they had to think about these things.  Different brains remember different things different ways and to different levels of depth.  Some stuff sticks and is easily recalled without review and other stuff just doesn't/isn't.  They almost certainly just need some review (or a lot of review).

• Like 1