Menu

Would you consider this meal "so weird"...UPDATE in #55

Pegasus

Wow!  I wasn't expecting so many response. Thanks, everyone. 

1. Yes, a co-worker commented that my meal was "so weird" and I was trying to gain perspective on whether that would be a common/typical perception. 

2. I do eat low carb for health reasons but don't talk about it to folks unless asked.

3. I especially appreciate the comments about the meal seeming odd in some way.  Each of the ingredients seemed perfectly common to me with only the almond milk being, perhaps, out of the main stream, and even that is so much more common in stores these days. I didn't consider that it was the COMBINATION that might have triggered the remark.  I did leave the blueberries/milk for last as a kind of dessert but the rest of it tasted very good eaten together (not mixed, but bites of each).

4. Some folks haven't even HEARD of blueberries and milk?  I did not expect to hear that.  It is absolutely delicious. I had a small serving of blueberries in a bowl, just covered in almond milk, with a splash of cream.  I guess you could consider it the lazy man's berries and whipped cream.  Just as delicious without the effort of whipping the cream.

• Like 8

<snip>

4. Some folks haven't even HEARD of blueberries and milk?  I did not expect to hear that.  It is absolutely delicious. I had a small serving of blueberries in a bowl, just covered in almond milk, with a splash of cream.  I guess you could consider it the lazy man's berries and whipped cream.  Just as delicious without the effort of whipping the cream.

I've never mixed berries with milk.  But when I was a kid I mixed jello with milk.  OK, I'm not equating jello with fresh fruit.  :-)  But, I've never seen anyone mix fruit and milk.  But I see your point about whipped cream and berries.  Also, people don't think anything weird about yogurt and fruit, right?

All the foods you ate were quite "normal" common foods. It was just the presentation.  Except for the lack of bread (and your dessert)  it looks like a diner lunch of turkey/avocado sandwich, side of coleslaw, pickle.   What is weird about that?  

Some people have no imagination.  Some people are rude.  Some people are very stuck in their notions of what is proper food. 

• Like 2

We call that a "parts-plate" in our house (from "sandwich parts). We eat lunch like that most days.

(Though I've never heard of blueberries in milk.)

I would probably say hey I never saw blueberries in milk before.

But I don't think it is all that weird and I wouldn't try to make you feel bad.

The thing that trips me up is blueberries in milk? Is that in a bowl or a glass? I've never seen someone add fruit to milk without cereal/oatmeal.

But to each their own.

Wow!  I wasn't expecting so many response. Thanks, everyone. 

I don't really notice what other people eat.

But how have people not heard of berries and cream (milk)?! I am gobsmacked! Isn't that what Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail get at the end of Peter Rabbit?

• Like 6

I'd eat that lunch, though I substitute lettuce for the cabbage. Sounds great!  I prefer my berries with yogurt instead of milk.

I would never say that the food a person beside me was eating was "so weird."  That's just so weird to do - are they a part-time high school student!!  :laugh:

• Like 1

Yeah. I wouldn't say the lunch is **weird** but it's not a lunch I would have for myself. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it unless it was like smelly or something.

ETA: I will say, if it was a co-worker I was friendly with, and was specifically eating lunch with, having a conversation with, that sort of thing....I might jokingly tease them about being a weirdo, but all in good fun. Never actually calling them weird.

When I was in my 20s and early 30s, I would have thought the lunch was "weird". But not in a "that's horrible and I'm invested in what you eat and you're wrong-wrong-wrong!-weird" way. It would be in a, "huh-that's different and kinda funny to my tuna-fish sandwich self and I realize that you're eating pretty healthy while everyone else isn't and that's interesting-weird" way.

So, back then if I said it was weird, I wouldn't be judging you. I'd be using the word in a way that meant, "I'm surprised at this lunch combination--you are original compared to the rest of us unimaginative lot--I'm reacting to being surprised at how you aren't eating a traditional lunch."

I'd have joked and called it weird meaning it in a surprised way, and then you'd have gotten stiff and uncomfortable because it would have certainly come across as judgy, and I'd have realized I put my foot in my mouth and felt pretty bad about it but wouldn't quite understand what I did wrong. I was like an overgrown puppy who jumps on everyone and scratches up their clothes and doesn't know why people push her away. That's how my 20s and early 30s went.

Maybe the person was one of those odd people who really can't stand when anyone is different and gets judgy. And maybe the person was clueless because of the combination of foods was unfamiliar to them. It sounds like your lunch was simply the insides of a sandwich without the bread, which would seem like it's a low-carb diet sandwich.

ETA: I know better than to comment on anyone's food now, unless it's all part of a general conversation about everyone's food.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

In my family, fruit on cereal with milk is very common.

We do it with strawberries, bananas, peaches, or blueberries.

I've never seen it with just milk before, but it wouldn't weird me out. In fact, I'd probably remark how my family does it with cereal as a point of connection with another person.

In my opinion, commenting rudely on food is like commenting rudely on someone's makeup. Like, "That lip color looks weird on you." You just wouldn't say it!

• Like 1

Even if  the meal looks like "all sides" and no "main course," is that really weird?    There are restaurants that specialize in "small plates" which basically looks like a bunch of side dishes which comprise a meal.   The Spanish have made it an art form:  tapas.   Isn't dim sum similar?  

It's my favorite way to eat!  

And, I did forget about putting strawberries or bananas on my corn flakes when I was a kid.  So I have had milk and fruit.  Fruit on cereal and milk is pretty common.  I think it's even on the box of corn flakes.  :-)  

• Like 1

The first time I saw someone eat berries and milk, I was in college.

It's not something I eat, because I don't drink milk. Even once almond milk became mainstream, it's too close to cow milk, and I can't do it. (I don't even eat cereal...just no milk like that at all).

It's not something I eat, because I don't drink milk. Even once almond milk became mainstream, it's too close to cow milk, and I can't do it. (I don't even eat cereal...just no milk like that at all).

I don't drink milk or use it in any way other than cooking (which means I don't eat cereal). I can't stand the taste. Never could. I grew up in the "milk does a body good" era so it really worried my mother that I wouldn't drink it. She eventually gave up trying to foist it on me, but not after coming up with many creative ways to offer it/attempt to disguise it (including  both chocolate and strawberry flavoring or adding sugar to it).

• Like 1

The thing that trips me up is blueberries in milk? Is that in a bowl or a glass? I've never seen someone add fruit to milk without cereal/oatmeal.

But to each their own.

That's the only thing I'd be curious about too. If I tried to drink blueberries in milk, I'd worry I'd choke on the blueberries as I drank the milk. 

It looks delicious and not at all weird though!

Not weird, but now I'm curious about the bluberries and milk.  When you add a splash of cream is it real cream or almond cream?  And if you're adding real cream, why not use real milk instead of almond milk?  In my mind THAT is the part of the meal that isn't computing.

Well, that and berries-and-almond milk is definitely not as luscious and unctuous as berries and cream.  :)  But it might make the almond milk more palatable. 

Not weird, but now I'm curious about the bluberries and milk. When you add a splash of cream is it real cream or almond cream? And if you're adding real cream, why not use real milk instead of almond milk? In my mind THAT is the part of the meal that isn't computing.

Well, that and berries-and-almond milk is definitely not as luscious and unctuous as berries and cream. :) But it might make the almond milk more palatable.

Cow's milk is much higher in carbs than both almond milk and cream. Many people use almond milk to keep the carbs down but add a splash of cream for some added flavor. Yum!!!

• Like 1

Considering that some people in some parts of the world eat roasted scorpions on a stick, mix cow blood and milk in a jar, or stuff sheep organs and oatmeal inside a stomach lining, I would never call anyone's meal weird. Now, if someone thought their food was talking to them, or that their meal was going to cause the apocalypse, that might be weird...

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 3

It's kind of an odd combo to me but how rude to point that out.  Maybe it was grocery shopping day and that was all you had. Just...rude. 

I've never heard of blueberries and milk. I think if I heard berries and cream I would assume whipped cream. 

• Like 2

Ok now I'm trying to picture this if someone packed this to eat in a breakroom. Pulling out a container of milk and a spoon to eat with their blueberries would have me thinking, "wow what a hassle" LOL

So maybe it was the whole bringing so many separate items that struck them as weird more so than the items. Like, packing a sandwich with avocado and turkey seems like it would be easier than eating separately. But I guess you didn't use bread/didn't want that.

I do drink almond milk for the record and have tried various other kinds. That part didn't faze me at all.

Cow's milk is much higher in carbs than both almond milk and cream. Many people use almond milk to keep the carbs down but add a splash of cream for some added flavor. Yum!!!

Yep. This.  For one cup, regular 2% cow milk has about 12 grams of carbs while unsweetened almond milk has about 2 grams. Heavy cream is just under 7 grams for a full cup. It is often labeled as 0 g carbs but that is because a serving size is listed as 2 tablespoons.

• Like 1

I don't really notice what other people eat.

But how have people not heard of berries and cream (milk)?! I am gobsmacked! Isn't that what Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail get at the end of Peter Rabbit?

Yup, I often have strawberries and milk, or better yet, half and half. 

The phrase "peaches and cream" complexion is about fruit and cream/milk. 

• Like 3

Berries and cream is a favorite here - with a little sugar and maybe vanilla or mint or grand mariner.

As far as the rest, the elements sound tasty but the combination seems off to me.  the main reason being that I have a strong conviction that cabbage and dill pickle don't belong with avocado.

• Like 1

I've never heard of berries in milk. It doesn't sound appealing to me personally, but neither are pickles and I wouldn't consider either weird.

I'm forever surprised that people comment on what other people eat--how is that ever okay? ( except of course if it's positive, or honestly curious. But random judgement? Why??)

• Like 2

I'm astounded that people haven't heard of blueberries and milk.

It's a common snack/dessert for me - except I only use milk in a pinch. I usually use heavy cream.

Your lunch doesn't sound weird to me, but then I have so many food intolerances (sadly, I love most food, so not picky at all) that my "meals" consist of random parts and flavors quite often. Especially lunch.

• Like 3

Peaches and cream or berries and cream to me means heavy cream, unwhipped. 

After reading the responses where people said they'd just think you were eating low carb, I rethought my answer and it's not so odd after all. Reading about the combination it sounded weird, but if I saw it on your plate I probably wouldn't think it's weird. 

The only thing I'd turn my nose up at (and not so you'd know because that would be rude) would be the blueberries and milk. I can't imagine ruining delicious blueberries with milk, even if it isn't cow's milk. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.

If someone called my lunch weird, I'd tell them they need to get out more. The next time we met, you can be sure I'd have seaweed soup or blue cheese to foist upon them.

I hereby nominate Rosie as a top contender for "The Most Quotable WTMer" currently actively posting!  :thumbup:

Utterly hilarious. As usual!   :lol:

Rosie happily reminds me of a former poster with a fondness for pith, rum, and donkey carts!

All good stuff! 

• Like 1