Menu

Would you consider this meal "so weird"...UPDATE in #55

Pegasus

or immediately categorize it as a special diet or way of eating?  My lunch today consisted of:

sliced turkey

sliced avocado with a drizzle of lemon juice

sliced cabbage with homemade dressing

dill pickle

blueberries in almond milk and a splash of cream

tall glass of ice water

And no, I didn't comment in return on their meal.  :closedeyes:

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 1

I wouldn't comment negatively on people's food. I might think you were intentionally eating low carb because I do myself, but unless you're a good friend, I wouldn't ask. If you served that combo at a dinner party, it would be weird. Lunch is usually more of a mixed grab bag.

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 10

I wouldn't put those flavors together.

I wouldn't, either, but I think the thing that I would notice most is that there's no bread. I would be thinking that the turkey should be in a sandwich unless it was part of a salad.

What can I say? I'm a lunch traditionalist! ;)

Also, I have to admit that it's a much healthier lunch than I usually eat. :)

• Like 4

Nothing weird.  Similar to what I might eat at a meal. 

Did someone actually use the word "weird?"  That annoys me so much.  I remember being in an Asian grocery store, and people were walking around exclaiming over all the "weird food."  Uh, I doubt it was weird to the people who buy the stuff to eat!   

Sorry for the rant.  :-)  

• Like 3

It seems unusual to me, but I don't comment on people's food choices. I have endured enough scrutiny of my own meals to last a lifetime, so I generally don't pay attention to other people's food. Also, if I ever notice that someone doesn't have a food category represented, I just assume they are a person who doesn't eat that, i.e., gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, low fat, allergic to eggs, whatever.

• Like 7

I find it weird that someone would comment on another's food choices. It's not like you were eating chocolate covered grasshoppers or anything.

I've found that some people are really food-centered. They are not only really concerned about what they eat, they are also invested in other people's food choices.

Sincerely,

A picky eater whose food choices have brought comments most of my life.

• Like 5

I find it weird that someone would comment on another's food choices. It's not like you were eating chocolate covered grasshoppers or anything.

I've found that some people are really food-centered. They are not only really concerned about what they eat, they are also invested in other people's food choices.

Sincerely,

A picky eater whose food choices have brought comments most of my life.

:iagree:

I am a very picky eater and don't eat *normally* at all.  I wouldn't ever think about someone else's meal as weird.  Plus, people are on so many different diets - for all I know your lunch fulfills some kind of meal plan that you follow.  It's none of my business.  

Not very weird, but unusual enough of a combination that I woud be wondering about special diet (low carb? gluten free? dairy free?)

I would notice the absence of grain and the replacement of real milk by almond milk, so definitely "special".

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I probably would have swapped spinach or mixed greens for the cabbage - not that I think cabbage is 'weird' but juts because I prefer other greens. But, otherwise, I think your lunch is something I would eat. I don't see anything weird about it.

• Like 1

My kids' favorite lunch is "smorgasbord", which in our house is just a fancy way of saying "clean out the fridge".  It might look a lot like that + a carb.  So no one in this house would think it's weird.

I would find it weird to comment on someone's eating habits, unless it's someone in my own household (i.e. DH) who is diverging very far from their norm.  But in that case, it would be more a "are you/things ok" kind of comment.

• Like 2

I would think you are on a low carb diet but that wouldn't make me comment on it.  Low carb is certainly not weird.  Weird would be something like eating avocado with everything you eat like cereal with avocado, blueberries with avocado, steak with avocado, etc. Even then the only comment I would probably make is 'you certainly like avocados" and not "you eat weird food".

• Like 1

or immediately categorize it as a special diet or way of eating? My lunch today consisted of:

sliced turkey

sliced avocado with a drizzle of lemon juice

sliced cabbage with homemade dressing

dill pickle

blueberries in almond milk and a splash of cream

tall glass of ice water

And no, I didn't comment in return on their meal. :closedeyes:

Looks normal to me but I'm a low carber

I comment on people's food all the time, but it's always a "that looks good!" "can I have your recipe?" or "where did you find xyz ingredient." I wouldn't comment negatively on somebody's lunch. I probably would have said, "Oooh, avocado and blueberries! Two of my favorites."  :thumbup1:

• Like 1

No because I eat like that all the time (no diets in a few years) BUT people totally comment on it in a regular basis and it makes me feel weird inside. Like... I don't know how to respond to you being weird about my food, because it's just food and I think something else must be going on that I'm not privy to.

Not weird to me, and except for any dairy it sounds like what I may eat for lunch or a midnight snack, or even breakfast. I might ask if you were on a special diet because I'm on a special diet and it's similar to what I eat, unless I thought it would offend you.

The individual foods wouldn't seem odd, but if they were all eaten together on the same plate, it would seem strange to me.  Cabbage, blueberries, and pickles are not something I would serve at the same time.

I wouldn't think about it for more than a blink of an eye though.  I don't realy care what other people eat LOL  It sounds healthy so that is a bonus too.

• Like 2

Your lunch choices do seem a quite odd to me. One of my kids might pull something like this together, and I would probably tease him about it. I'm completely ignorant about various diets and food restrictions, so I wouldn't immediately jump to that conclusion. Still, I wouldn't comment on your choices. Unless, of course, you asked me to. 

• Like 2