Menu

Does anyone have that wireless dog fence?

madteaparty

I'm not a fan of them personally. My MIL had one for her dogs. Problem#1 is that the battery dies in the collars and the dogs get off the property. Problem #2 is that some dogs are energetic enough that they discover if they breech the border quickly the shock lasts only a moment. But my personal opinion is that the biggest problem with them is that it does not prevent other animals from breeching your yard, only keeps your pet from being able to escape. So your dog is vulnerable if a loose or stray dog comes over, or if you live where wild animals can come in the yard.

I personally would never get one, having seen my MIL's in use.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of them personally. My MIL had one for her dogs. Problem#1 is that the battery dies in the collars and the dogs get off the property. Problem #2 is that some dogs are energetic enough that they discover if they breech the border quickly the shock lasts only a moment. But my personal opinion is that the biggest problem with them is that it does not prevent other animals from breeching your yard, only keeps your pet from being able to escape. So your dog is vulnerable if a loose or stray dog comes over, or if you live where wild animals can come in the yard.

I personally would never get one, having seen my MIL's in use.

Ugh. We are getting an invisible fence no matter what, I guess I need to rephrase the question as to which one works best. I'm not concerned about other animals in my back yard (she won't be left outside all day anyway) but she is an energetic dog and will escape in the scenario you describe...

I have had one in the past and know others that have had them.  The key is training, training, training, and frequent retraining.  You can't expect the dog to just obey.  And remember that the dogs do have minds of their own and some things will make them want to bolt no matter what, they aren't computers.   I used the PetSafe brand and was happy with it;  wired, never did like the wireless as it was just a circle so never suited my needs appropriately.  

Edited by zimom

We have one.  The fence itself is less beneficial to us than the training by the excellent installer, who quickly taught our puppy to understand the boundaries.  She is rarely outside unsupervised so we do not worry about other creatures getting into the yard.

• Like 1

We have one of the ones that they were a collar and there is certain diameter they can go from the actual device that is plugged up in our home. We followed the detailed instructions of how to set up the boundary and so forth to train the dog and have been very successful with our two who wear the collars. I would definitely purchase again. 

We installed one across our driveway, which was the only open part of the back yard. Our dog, a hound, learned it in about two days. She respects the boundary, and even goes out back without her collar because she's not really willing to test the boundary. She only bolts when the hose is being sprayed around the backyard (presumably that's scarier than the shock) so the kids know to put her in when they play with the hose. I've never experienced a situation where the entire boundary is invisible. I wonder if it either doesn't work as well or traumatizes the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamanthaCarter

We have one and we love it. It's Dog Guard and it came with our dogs (we adopted them last year). They had it at their old house and were used to it, and we live on a somewhat busy street, so we put it in our yard as well. It's the buried kind. Dh rented an edger (?) and made it easy peasy to install. Watch out for the level of the sensitivity. The first week they were here one of them went through because he saw another dog. We realized we had to up the power. Also, remember to regularly check the batteries. When you install be sure to use the flags. We go on vacation and bring the flags to the house there (which doesn't have the fence obviously) and the dogs were so well trained by them they didn't cross the flag line. I also use the flags around my herb garden without the wires.

Edited by whitestavern

We have one. The fence itself is less beneficial to us than the training by the excellent installer, who quickly taught our puppy to understand the boundaries. She is rarely outside unsupervised so we do not worry about other creatures getting into the yard.

Yes, my sister had one installed and it's worked great for her dogs, she's had 3 dogs and a grand dog who visits since they got it installed and it it's worked for all of them. They did have the installer/trainer come out when they brought in new dogs.

The invisible fences are very popular in my neighborhood. The neighbors across the street have two young huskies, I have never seen them escape. Another neighbor has a Pitt mix, again she has never escaped. You have to be vigilant about the training.

Our next door neighbor had a radio fence. I'm not as impressed. The boundary wasn't always consistent. One day the poodle was able to walk to our play equipment, then the next day it couldn't. Their poodle is mostly an inside dog but they gave up on it. I have no idea if it was just the particular model they had or if all the radio fences are similar.

If you do go with an invisible fence, put up a sign, especially if your dog will be in the yard unattended. The huskies are kind of aggressive and even though I know they won't cross the fence, not everyone walking past knows that. Their bark is pretty scary.

Funny story about having an invisible fence: Our dog chased a rabbit or something through the backyard, resulting in her racing across the invisible fence line. I'm guessing she was so enamored of the critter that she didn't notice the zap, and once they get far enough on the other side, it doesn't zap any more. So when I came home later, the poor dog was laying in the backyard, just outside the fence line, because she couldn't get back in without getting zapped! So, she just waited for us to get home instead.  :lol:

• Like 1

Which brand do you have? Thank you!

We have the PetSafe Rechargeable In Ground Fence, from Amazon.  We ordered extra wire.  And we used an edger to install it in the ground.  We deliberately got the kind of collar that you take off and charge every night, so we wouldn't deal with forgetting in 3 mos and not realizing the collar needed charging.  Plus, you don't want your dog sleeping in the collar at night anyway - our last dog had a training collar and we didn't know better.  Oops.  

We did the install ourselves, put up flags, trained our dog.  It was easy - but she's an easy temperament.  

• Like 1

We had one from 10-15 years ago.  We used it to limit the dog to part of our backyard. It was simple for my husband to install. I can't imagine paying anyone to do that! It was immensely helpful that our dog was agreeable and pretty passive (a 50 lb. hound dog). It would never work with the impulsive herding dog we have now. We have her on a type of zipline, which works well for our situation now.

My thoughts from 15 years ago. Yes, I'd get one again for the right dog. It was important to keep the collar contacts clean, because minor hair matting would decrease contact significantly. Sometimes the wire would break or otherwise be disconnected, but my husband was easily able to find and fix it. The big thing to remember is that if your dog gets out, it will be reluctant to return, because it doesn't want to get zapped. I am sure they have improved over the years too.

• Like 1