Menu

What's with the ads?

Runningmom80

The Big History Project

I had just started to use it for middle school a couple of years ago, but my kid got into a charter school program shortly after the school year started, so I can't really offer a valid opinion on it. I was looking forward to using it.

There is a thread on it from the K-8 board

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/543528-anyone-using-big-history-project-for-middle-school-and-like-to-give-me-a-review/

• Like 2

I was just looking at this too.  It looks pretty cool.  There's also stuff on Khan Academy by the same name and I wonder if one uses the other or they're the same thing or they complement each other or... what?

• Like 1

The Khan site takes the material directly from BHP. It doesn't include all the info, though. The last 2-3 units have been significantly cut on KA, and KA does not include the Investigations.

I am using it next year with a 9th grader, so I can't offer any btdt thoughts. I think it looks great. :)

• Like 2

Also haven't used it, but Crash Course has a video series that goes along with it. We really enjoyed the videos!

• Like 1

I was really excited to use it, but my dd rejected it because it looked too much like the science she had already learned.  Big bang, formation of the solar system, etc.    So no experience from me either.  

• Like 1

The Great Courses is by the professor who does many of the videos on the project site, which also incorporates the Crash course videos.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

This looks like heaps of fun! I can't wait to try it out on DS. Maybe when we finish SOTW. :)

• Like 1

We are doing it this year and the kids are super excited.  Chrysalis Academy did it a few years ago and I used a lot of her information to get a feel for what is expected and to get ideas for supplements. 

We needed a change and I think this will fit the bill.  We are supplementing -- aiming for an hour of Big history materials a day and 30 minutes of supplementary reading. We are not doing history -- just combining the two. We will jump back into the history cycle next year. 

• Like 2

We are doing it this year and the kids are super excited.  Chrysalis Academy did it a few years ago and I used a lot of her information to get a feel for what is expected and to get ideas for supplements. 

We needed a change and I think this will fit the bill.  We are supplementing -- aiming for an hour of Big history materials a day and 30 minutes of supplementary reading. We are not doing history -- just combining the two. We will jump back into the history cycle next year. 

I'm doing this too.  We took last year off the history cycle for US history, and I feel like this is such a great way back to Ancients next year. I'm using it as Science as well. (With lots of supplements for both History and Science.)

Chrysalis Academy's posts are so helpful!

• Like 1