Menu

root canal advice?

azucena

A few weeks ago, I went to my dentist to have a crown put on my upper back right molar.  The right side of my mouth was sore for the following two weeks (pain with chewing, etc.), but I thought it probably meant that the temporary crown was not quite right.  

When I went back to the dentist on Monday, he numbed my mouth and prepared to pull off the temporary crown.  The minute he began to pull, I yelped in pain.  His hypothesis is that there is an infection in the tooth and that I should have a root canal.  I am on antibiotics and am scheduled to have the root canal done by him next Friday.

I am wondering a few things:

- should I go to an endodontist instead of a regular dentist?  This dentist is fairly new to me and I am prejudiced against him, as when the dental assistants were preparing the temporary crown they cheerfully told another patient that their crowns had been falling out, but they had figured out that they were not doing the cement properly (?!)

- if so, how do I handle it?  I do want to get the permanent crown from this dentist.

Thanks for your help.  I have never been tooth-achy before and am now feeling sympathy for all the humans who lived in the centuries before Advil!

I would definitely get a second opinion just because I've been to a very, very bad dental office that didn't know what they were doing.

That said, I've had two root canals at my regular dental office and had a great experience. It's a big office though and the dentist I see does a lot of root canals and complicated procedures and I completely trust him.

• Like 1

Always, always see an entodontist for a root canal. My FIL is a dentist. He says "I can do a root canal but an entodontist does them all day every day."

This. Go to an endodontist. They're really good at root canals. My root canal last year was much easier than any filling I've had. They have different tools and are more precise. And as Plateau Mama said - that's all they do. They're really good at it!

• Like 3

I've had three root canals done in the past 1 1/2 years, the most recent one was earlier this week.   :hurray:  :huh:

I absolutely agree with the recommendation to go to an endodontist, ESPECIALLY if you are already uncomfortable with this dentist & his staff.  You will get a second opinion, and you will get treatment from a doctor & his staff who are very familiar with the process.  The endodontsts I have seen (two different ones, same practice) were very, very good and I've felt very well taken care of with every root canal.  

The crown process and the root canal are two different procedures, so it should be no problem for you to have the root canal done by an endodontist, then return to your dentist to finish the crown.

I hope you can get treatment and relief soon.  Having a hurting tooth is so not enjoyable!

• Like 2

I think a regular dentist can do a fine root canal if all the conditions are just right.

Unfortunately, oftentimes conditions are not just right.  In that case, an endodontist can handle almost anything at all.

Because of all the times conditions have NOT been just right in our family, I'd recommend an endodontist, seriously.

I would just send a nice message to your dentist saying that you'll be seeing an endodontist for the root canal, but will be happy to have him do the crown.

• Like 2

I am very picky about my dentist and I would not go to any dentist I had concerns about.  However, I have had a couple of root canals at my regular dentist as have several of my family members   My mom did have the dentist recommend that she see an endodontist in one case in which she had a particularly difficult situation (something like a crumbling nerve on a tooth that held a bridge in place).  Other than that, we have seen no reason to see an endodontist for a root canal.  

• Like 1

I would see an endo.  My dentist is down the hall in a small office building from an endo - they both do their parts to get folks taken care of.  Endo does the root canal, dentist does the crown.  BUT sounds like you might want a new dentist, too. And endo may have names of good ones.

• Like 1